Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talbot Street / Talbot Place

Options
  • 14-06-2014 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So myself and some friends are staying in a hostel called Jacobs Inn in July for a few days while going to a couple of concerts... I'm told by family who know Dublin quite well that Talbot Street is somewhere to be avoided and not to walk down it, etc.. Is it actually that bad or would it be alright in a fairly big group?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I lived just off it for a year and didn't have a problem. Slightly rougher part of town but you'll be fine in a group. Older people in your family might be remembering how it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

It's absolutely fine. I worked there for ages and there's nothing to be frightened of there, or anywhere in Dublin. That hostel is basically beside a Gardai station too. It's not the most beautiful looking area, but there are loads of cheap places to eat on Talbot St, you're 2 minutes from the Spire and close to luas/dart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Just exercise normal caution, as in any city centre, re wallets, mobiles etc. I often walked that street alone, when I worked in the general area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

It's the howya bud merchants that you need to avoid, they are more a pain then trouble though. You'll be fine in a group. Either way isn't the hostel accessable from Abbey st- Store st

• Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭anewme

worked in Amiens Street for a while, used to go for my lunchtime walk on Talbot Street :o..........Talbot Street not as rough as Amiens Street, but still not a nice area and really rough people hanging around............I lasted 3 months in that job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

In a group you will be fine. It is a working class type area. Never seen any violence there, but the area was bad at least in the past for begging and drug addicts trying to source there fix.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

The junkies have moved from Talbot St to Westmoreland Street so it's not as bad anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

fiachr_a wrote: »
    The junkies have moved from Talbot St to Westmoreland Street so it's not as bad anymore.

The latest Dublin tourism slogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

It's perfectly fine. I actually LIKE Talbot St. And I'm there almost every day. Some really good coffee shops restaurants and bars . Good shops for essential items (including a nice SuperValu) and beside all the main transport links.

Yeah it has a few street drinkers but is mostly packed with commuters shoppers and tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Talbot Street is fine. The inn is just beside Store Street Garda station so you would often see gardai around. Like anywhere in Dublin or any city, just exercise caution when it comes to your valuables. Please make sure any female companions have a zip on their handbags.

Some nice places to eat along Talbot Street and not too expensive for example 101 Talbot, Le Bon Crubeen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

It's completely fine. Though from my experience, the (sweet sweet) scent of marijuana seems to be floating around there quite often compared to the rest of Dublin.

Advertisement