Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Derg Sprint next Saturday(21st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

was there wednesday night and did the full sprint course...beautiful swim, fast fast bike and challenging run BUT if you wanna do a sprint tri P.B. this year this is it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Challenging run; surface or just lots of hills?

Basster wrote: »
    Challenging run; surface or just lots of hills?

Just a little hilly. Nothing major.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

How's the bike course trig? Do you have a garmin profile for it by any chance?

joey100 wrote: »
    How's the bike course trig? Do you have a garmin profile for it by any chance?

whats that ;)

ha ha, bike course is fast, 19k out and back course, road surface on first 2k and last 2k is not the best but other than that its fine, first 9.5k out has few drags but nothing major, no hills whatsoever, once you come around roundabout on your return 9.5k then you can really motor, ( i averaged 41kph for the return 9.5k the other evening, its a very fast cycle- did it in under 31mins )

Unfortunately I wont be racing myself as i'm working :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Trig1 wrote: »
    whats that ;)

ha ha, bike course is fast, 19k out and back course, road surface on first 2k and last 2k is not the best but other than that its fine, first 9.5k out has few drags but nothing major, no hills whatsoever, once you come around roundabout on your return 9.5k then you can really motor, ( i averaged 41kph for the return 9.5k the other evening, its a very fast cycle- did it in under 31mins )

Unfortunately I wont be racing myself as i'm working :mad:

What's the swim like? Sheltered. Must enter later. Hope not too late

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Trig1 wrote: »

Unfortunately I wont be racing myself as i'm working tapering for kilkee :mad:

FYP :)

would love to be doing this one, but not. great price and run by a good club. i can't see anyone regretting signing up for this one, should be a good race.

What's the swim like? Sheltered. Must enter later. Hope not too late

it was flat calm on the day I raced it but lads in Nenagh said its usually a bit rougher and blowing in towards the bank so flow could be against you on way out and with you on way back in!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

The swim could be any way and hard to predict as it varies so much each time we're in. Wind can be a b**** at times down there though often actually is an advantage
    The bike is fast though road surface is crap in places. council had been asked to do some work on it but nothing done.
    The run has couple of hills but nothing major.

Will be good to get at least one race done this year.. though looks like it'll be my only race...

The swim could be any way and hard to predict as it varies so much each time we're in. Wind can be a b**** at times down there though often actually is an advantage
    The bike is fast though road surface is crap in places. council had been asked to do some work on it but nothing done.
    The run has couple of hills but nothing major.

Will be good to get at least one race done this year.. though looks like it'll be my only race...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Baking starts now :-)

Solobally8 wrote: »

let me know if you need a non racing quality control tester..be a huge risk to test them on those taking part:)

mossym wrote: »
    let me know if you need a non racing quality control tester..be a huge risk to test them on those taking part:)

Oh I will be testing them myself don't you worry :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Solobally8 wrote: »

Ummm what? Can I use my hook or by crook entry for lough derg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Great race! Nice swim (if I could manage straight lines), flat fast cycle, and a lumpy run :) Tasty spread afterwards too. Best value race I've done yet. Thanks to anyone involved in running it today!

kingQuez wrote: »
    Great race! Nice swim (if I could manage straight lines), flat fast cycle, and a lumpy run :) Tasty spread afterwards too. Best value race I've done yet. Thanks to anyone involved in running it today!

+1
    Swim was class. Did u find course long or was my sighting very poor?? Watch said 1.04km. GPS might have been acting up but hope I didn't go that far off course. Don't mind long as same for everyone.
    Bike and run courses were honest. Very enjoyable.
    Serious spread of food after. Would def do again.

Tasty spread afterwards too. !
    +1

Serious spread of food after. .

well done Anita..:)

+1
    +1
    Swim was class. Did u find course long or was my sighting very poor?? Watch said 1.04km. GPS might have been acting up but hope I didn't go that far off course. Don't mind long as same for everyone.
    Bike and run courses were honest. Very enjoyable.
    Serious spread of food after. Would def do again.
    Swim was slightly long but you may have been well off if you did that much

Very happy with my first race of the year. Though ive done the route dozens of times im disappointed with my bike and delighted with my run....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Great race alright. A few of the club mates reckon it was about a 1km swim too.

Anyone know the name of the timing company for this one? And if anyone sees any results can they post a link please.

Macanri wrote: »

Anyone know the name of the timing company for this one? And if anyone sees any results can they post a link please.
    Timing company was sports timing. They mightn't have results up until later this evening as they had another event to time this afternoon

• Advertisement

I hugged the bouys so figured couldn't have gone 2 off line.

Sportstiming however they said results won't be up til tonight or tomorrow. Think they were on road to Westport straight after.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭cuculainn

great race......great location.....Friendly and helpful marshalls/organisers

only complaint was that I ate too much cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Results are in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Not bad for an oul lad there Macanri :p

mossym wrote: »
    well done Anita..:)

Ha ha I can't take credit for it all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

if you look at the times of the first 2 males swim might have been max 50 meter long.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

peter kern wrote: »
    if you look at the times of the first 2 males swim might have been max 50 meter long.

With regards to the swim length, it was measured twice - the first was by the local yacht club that laid down the markers. I was with them when they did this and on first impression I thought it looked long. With that in mind I organised for one of our lads in a boat to measure it right before the start and he actually measured it at very close to the 750m mark as well.

Very strange as my gut feeling from looking at the buoy positions and on seeing the times is that it was slightly long. Although, I think the swim times include a 20 second run up to the first timing mat at the transition entrance. Could be wrong with that though.

With regards to the swim length, it was measured twice - the first was by the local yacht club that laid down the markers. I was with them when they did this and on first impression I thought it looked long. With that in mind I organised for one of our lads in a boat to measure it right before the start and he actually measured it at very close to the 750m mark as well.

Very strange as my gut feeling from looking at the buoy positions and on seeing the times is that it was slightly long. Although, I think the swim times include a 20 second run up to the first timing mat at the transition entrance. Could be wrong with that though.

I had made a comment on the distance earlier in this thread however after downloading watch data this morning my sighting and starting position way out on left would have accounted for a lot of the extra distance.
    Good race would def recommend and do again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Thanks and congrats to those behind this. If you offer such value, people come back. Here's to June 2015.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Very enjoyable race, couldn't fault it. Nice challenging run course compared to a lot of sprint distance races. Not sure what my plans are for next year but I'd strongly consider this race again.

Advertisement