Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rally challenges citizenship restrictions

Options
  • 14-06-2014 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭

Cannot post url's but google Rally challenges citizenship restrictions Irish Times.

I lose any sympathy for these people how they exaggerate their circumstances here .
    How can a South African claim asylum when its regarded as a safe country ?
    Does that mean if you are a white South African you can claim too ?
    A case for discrimination if not possible.
    There was an American who claimed asylum in Ireland and had a video on you tube but cannot find it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

More do gooders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

So no link to the story, then you make up a scenario to claim discrimination you're not even sure is discriminatory. There's a video about an American asylum seeker on YouTube but you can't find that either...

Seriously? This is worse than the other thread about some French politician!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Story here.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/rally-challenges-citizenship-restrictions-1.1829001

Key quote for everyone to get outraged over:
    Nomaxabiso Maye from South Africa lived in direct provision for 3½ years. She compared life in the centre to living under the apartheid regime.
    “I always compare and contrast the asylum system with the one of the apartheid system in South Africa, and it seems to be the same,” she said.
    “Even worse than the same because people in South Africa worked during the apartheid system; even though they earned peanuts, they worked.”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Key quote for everyone to get outraged over:

On direct provision for over 3 years - that is outrageous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Phoebas wrote: »
    On direct provision for over 3 years - that is outrageous.

It's only outrageous if her case hadn't been heard. As almost all cases get heard within 12 months it's likely anyone there longer is appealing a rejection of their application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

It's only outrageous if her case hadn't been heard. As almost all cases get heard within 12 months it's likely anyone there longer is appealing a rejection of their application.
    Its outrageous in either case. This is far too long for the process to take regardless of who's holding it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Czarcasm wrote: »
    So no link to the story, then you make up a scenario to claim discrimination you're not even sure is discriminatory. There's a video about an American asylum seeker on YouTube but you can't find that either...

Seriously? This is worse than the other thread about some French politician!

I cannot post links I am a new user. I was asking if anyone had a link to the American asylum seeker or any information.
    I am sorry you are so upset .I have tissues. I suggest you accommodate some if you are so worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Phoebas wrote: »
    Its outrageous in either case. This is far too long for the process to take regardless of who's holding it up.
    Absolutely. We should invest more time and money in hearing the case of someone who we've said no to already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Direct provision is a ridiculous limbo.

The system has to be overhauled.

We need to get people through and dealt with quicker - make them leave or let them stay based on their individual cases but keeping them in direct provision for years is stupid and inhumane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

rgossip30 wrote: »
    I lose any sympathy for these people how they exaggerate their circumstances here .
    How can a South African claim asylum when its regarded as a safe country ?
    Does that mean if you are a white South African you can claim too ?
    A case for discrimination if not possible.
    There was an American who claimed asylum in Ireland and had a video on you tube but cannot find it ?

How do you know they've exaggerated their circumstances?
    South Africa may be a safe country in some respects, but it's far from safe for all its inhabitants.
    Yes, if you are a white South African you can claim asylum.
    As can Americans. You can claim asylum no matter where you are from, so long as you're outside your country of habitual residence. The success or failure of your claim will depend on the reasons you are outside that country and the existence of more appropriate options for you, such as dual nationality, among other criteria.
    If you're goiong to bother starting a thread, make a little effort to educate yourself, this information is all freely available and will save you from stupid opening posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

So this woman is saying that Ireland is worse than south Africa during the apartheid era yet she still wants to stay here because all her needs are catered for with no cost to her? Why is she here seeking asylum from a safe country? Is she just another economic migrant trying to get in for the welfare benefits which are almost non existent in south Africa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

foggy_lad wrote: »
    So this woman is saying that Ireland is worse than south Africa during the apartheid era

No, she was clearly referring to the asylum system and in particular direct provision. At least get outraged over the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

and Ireland is next to south africa so where else could she go,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

So this woman is saying that Ireland is worse than south Africa during the apartheid era yet she still wants to stay here because all her needs are catered for with no cost to her? Why is she here seeking asylum from a safe country? Is she just another economic migrant trying to get in for the welfare benefits which are almost non existent in south Africa?

Whatever about the reasons for her claiming asylum, can we stop pretending that the direct provision system is some kind of haven for asylum seekers?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I'm curious.
    I'm Irish and have a Polish wife. If my child was to be born in Poland for example is he/she entitled immediately to Irish citizenship?
    Stupid question I know, just wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Direct provision is a ridiculous limbo.

The system has to be overhauled.

We need to get people through and dealt with quicker - make them leave or let them stay based on their individual cases but keeping them in direct provision for years is stupid and inhumane.
    And since it's Mosney, in keeping with the spirit of the place, there could be a trapdoor at the hearing. If the decision doesn't go their way, the trapdoor opens, they drop into a waterslide which deposits them in the sea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

I take offense to an obese asylum seeker taken a plane to ireland under the guise of a holiday or visiting family,When genuine asylum seekers(warzone inhabitants) dont have that luxury.

Its time to restrict asylum seekers to countries officially at war only.

On another note do these roma gypsies have free open access to ireland now? Im seeing hundreds of them everywhere yet i have yet to see one working anywhere after years of their community being in ireland you would expect to see one in employment even if it were in a mc donalds.... I genuinely have not seen one of them working!!!!! But i have held and rang the gardai on at least 20/30 of them in my former job as a retail security guard.

It got to the point where if a female gypsy enters the shop you simply following them using the camera system and more than likely you will catch them shop lifting.
    If anyone else in security is reading this they will back me up i admit this can be seen as is racial profiling but its fact and true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

A Rally?

What's the entry list like? Many Mk II 's or rwd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yep, same way irish travellers have full access to the UK

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

Easy Peezy :-

Deport the Lot.

Problem solved.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

If it helps my wife can do a great South African accent, although it dies fall off after a while into Nigerian.

Yep, same way irish travellers have full access to the UK

Maybe if they stopped making tv shows about them they would feck off home. :D The brits obviously love the travellers their never off the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

It always baffles me how anyone from Ireland - a country that should count people amongst its primary exports - can have such blinkered, intolerant and ignorant views on immigration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

bear1 wrote: »
    I'm curious.
    I'm Irish and have a Polish wife. If my child was to be born in Poland for example is he/she entitled immediately to Irish citizenship?
    Stupid question I know, just wondering.

Fred is right if you were born in Ireland - but if you are an Irish citizen who wasn't born in Ireland, your child is not automatically an Irish citizen but is entitled to become one (i.e. it has to be applied for via foreign births registration).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Wow, you really put an interesting spin on that didn't you. It's against the law for Asylum seekers to get a job in Ireland, and they could be jailed for working. That is what she's complaining about -- as she clearly said she could've worked under apartheid but not in Ireland.

She wants to be taken OFF benefits and look for work/place to live. And yet your outraged...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Fred is right if you were born in Ireland - but if you are an Irish citizen who wasn't born in Ireland, your child is not automatically an Irish citizen but is entitled to become one (i.e. it has to be applied for via foreign births registration).

Right well then now it's tricky.
    My father is Irish and I was born in London but spent most of my life in Ireland.
    PPS number/passport/driving licence ecc is Irish.
    So by this logic my child would have to apply for citizenship?

Reekwind wrote: »
    It always baffles me how people from Ireland - a country that should count people amongst its primary exports - can have such blinkered, intolerant and ignorant views on immigration.

Nah the only time anti immigration views in ireland annoy me is when its in regards to the working polish etc,But as for fraudulent asylum seekers or benefit tourists etc then the peoples anger is utterly acceptable.

• Advertisement

Advertisement