Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rally challenges citizenship restrictions

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

Reekwind wrote: »
    It always baffles me how people from Ireland - a country that should count people amongst its primary exports - can have such blinkered, intolerant and ignorant views on immigration.

That is because by-and-large we are sending abroad well-rounded, well-educated, well-skilled and hardworking individuals.

What we get coming in by-and-large is riff raff from 3rd World countries that nobody else wants and looking to undercut the local workforce in a race to the bottom. Soon we'll end up like the yUK - a pure dumping ground for the dregs of humanity.

Banned

Mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

bear1 wrote: »
    Right well then now it's tricky.
    My father is Irish and I was born in London but spent most of my life in Ireland.
    PPS number/passport/driving licence ecc is Irish.
    So by this logic my child would have to apply for citizenship?

It's not the same as a full application, as far as I know - it's more of a "claim" that needs to be registered.

Citizens Advice states:
    If you were born outside Ireland to an Irish citizen who was himself or herself born outside Ireland and if any of your grandparents was born in Ireland, then you are entitled to become an Irish citizen. However before you can claim Irish citizenship, you must have your birth registered in the Foreign Births Register, which is maintained by the Irish Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade - see 'How to apply' below. If you are entitled to register, your Irish citizenship is effective from the date of registration - not from the date when you were born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Pocoyo wrote: »
    I take offense to an obese asylum seeker taken a plane to ireland under the guise of a holiday or visiting family,When genuine asylum seekers(warzone inhabitants) dont have that luxury.

Its time to restrict asylum seekers to countries officially at war only.

On another note do these roma gypsies have free open access to ireland now? Im seeing hundreds of them everywhere yet i have yet to see one working anywhere after years of their community being in ireland you would expect to see one in employment even if it were in a mc donalds.... I genuinely have not seen one of them working!!!!! But i have held and rang the gardai on at least 20/30 of them in my former job as a retail security guard.

It got to the point where if a female gypsy enters the shop you simply following them using the camera system and more than likely you will catch them shop lifting.
    If anyone else in security is reading this they will back me up i admit this can be seen as is racial profiling but its fact and true.

Six Prejudices in Search of a Point, by LooLa Pirandello.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

This post has been deleted.

It's not the same as a full application, as far as I know - it's more of a "claim" that needs to be registered.

Citizens Advice states:

Cheers guys, had no idea it was like that.
    Seems straight forward enough.
    Child is born, birth cert brought the my embassy in Poland for him/her to then become an Irish citizen.
    Thanks again guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Ecomonic migrant != asylum seeker. Presumably she is free to go home when ever she likes.

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Direct provision is a ridiculous limbo.

The system has to be overhauled.

We need to get people through and dealt with quicker - make them leave or let them stay based on their individual cases but keeping them in direct provision for years is stupid and inhumane.

It's not really. A major part of the delay is the bogus applicants using every appeal process in the book to delay the inevitable.

It is cheaper to keep them in direct provision, and given that the majority of them are not legitimate asylum seekers, they have the option to leave if they are not satisfied.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

vitani wrote: »
    Oh, FFS. This has to be one of the most ignorant, offensive posts I've ever read on here, and that's saying something.

HuH ???

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

It's not really. A major part of the delay is the bogus applicants using every appeal process in the book to delay the inevitable.

It is cheaper to keep them in direct provision, and given that the majority of them are not legitimate asylum seekers, they have the option to leave if they are not satisfied.
    Pamela Izevbekhai anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

No, she was clearly referring to the asylum system and in particular direct provision. At least get outraged over the right thing.
    She has the opportunity to be repatriated if unhappy with the system here!
    vitani wrote: »
    Whatever about the reasons for her claiming asylum, can we stop pretending that the direct provision system is some kind of haven for asylum seekers?
    It provides food shelter and all a body needs to survive, if they want anything more they should try their luck in a different country.
    No Pants wrote: »
    And since it's Mosney, in keeping with the spirit of the place, there could be a trapdoor at the hearing. If the decision doesn't go their way, the trapdoor opens, they drop into a waterslide which deposits them in the sea.
    That slide only empties into the boat pond:D

Also a huge number go missing every year and are working under the radar in shops, restaurants and take-aways and many are involved in other more serious criminality involving false documents such as driving licences and PPS numbers and activities like money-lending and money laundering.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

primary exports - can have such blinkered, intolerant and ignorant views on immigration.
    Please list the countries that accepted the Irish and provided them with immediate government support, housing etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Reekwind wrote: »
    It always baffles me how anyone from Ireland - a country that should count people amongst its primary exports - can have such blinkered, intolerant and ignorant views on immigration.

Cause we do a great line on pig ignorant th*ck bigoted c*nts in this country.

We've the finest pig ignorant th*ck, bigoted c*nts in the whole world in Ireland and none of your foreign pig ignorant th*ck, bigoted c*nts can hold a candle to our home grown ones. I don't care what them leftie liberals would have you believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

And what about the genuine people who haven't even had their case heard once and have been here for years living in squalid accommodation, unable to work, not allowed cook their own meals?

It's a ridiculous limbo and should be sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

genuine people who haven't even had their case heard once and have been here for years living in squalid accommodation
    To me the concept of asylum is that you are fleeing your own country and will seek safety in the FIRST safe country that you reach, so please explain to me how they "genuine people" ended up in Ireland?

Pamela Izevbekhai anyone?

Perfect example, although she had some nerve in fairness. Pity it cost the Irish taxpayer so much money though.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    And what about the genuine people who haven't even had their case heard once and have been here for years living in squalid accommodation, unable to work, not allowed cook their own meals?

It's a ridiculous limbo and should be sorted out.

I would object to the use of squalid for a start. There may have been a few isolated cases of sub standard accommodation, the vast majority do not live in squalor. To claim the do is just rabble rousing.

As for working, it is entirely legitimate that they not work, they are undocumented at this point and they are well aware of this restriction when applying, it should not come as a surprise. It also does not prevent them working on the black market, unfortunately.

Why do they need to cook their own food? They are supplied with healthy nutritional meals on a regular basis, ensuring they and their children are well fed. There is absolutely no reason for them to be cooking, given the cost implications (kitchens, ingredients etc). Again this a known in advance.

If an economic migrant family chooses to apply for asylum here they do so with their eyes wide open, drawn here by stories of streets paved with gold.

It was always ironic that we had large number of African asylum seekers back when there was no direct route from their home countries to Ireland. They were here as a result of asylum tourism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Muise... wrote: »
    Six Prejudices in Search of a Point, by LooLa Pirandello.

I'm going to ask a question, have the people thanking this post ever actually had a positive experience with some one from the Roma community, if a stereotype is proved correct again and again when does it stop being a prejudice.

ps I have had positive experiences with Nigerians and irish travellers those other AH faves before the bigot card comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

had a positive experience with some one from the Roma community
    Got a lovely bag of chips from them once.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

BBJBIG wrote: »
    That is because by-and-large we are sending abroad well-rounded, well-educated, well-skilled and hardworking individuals.

What we get coming in by-and-large is riff raff from 3rd World countries that nobody else wants and looking to undercut the local workforce in a race to the bottom. Soon we'll end up like the yUK - a pure dumping ground for the dregs of humanity.

I can only presume you've never been to the Third World, by heck if I was in their shoes I'd be trying everything to get to Ireland, which is one of the most advanced, peaceful and brilliant places you could ask to live. We are in the top 5 of places in the world and far ahead of most economic powerhouses UK, USA, etc. and also ahead of alot of Continental Europe, Only Scandanavia, Australia & New Zealand are ahead or equal to us.

Got a lovely bag of chips from them once.

Their range of pasta and tinned tomatoes is not bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Also a huge number go missing every year and are working under the radar in shops, restaurants and take-aways

Maybe because they don't want to be deported? Ireland only grants asylum to a tiny percentage of people seeking it - there's plenty of 'genuine' asylum seekers who've been refused. I don't have a problem with them living here illegally if it prevents situations like this:

https://www.facebook.com/AntiDeportationIrelandadi/posts/709105559128535

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

BBJBIG wrote: »
    That is because(............. )ground for the dregs of humanity.

We have minimal immigration from the third world.

smurfjed wrote: »
    To me the concept of asylum is that you are fleeing your own country and will seek safety in the FIRST safe country that you reach, so please explain to me how they "genuine people" ended up in Ireland?

What it means 'to you' is irrelevant.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59465073&postcount=1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Roma are EU Citizens and are entitled to roam if you will as they see fit, people claiming asylum from places which are fit to live in is bull ****, they are exploiting an open door policy which doesn't make any sense. Blame Mary Robinson she started all this.

Muise... wrote: »
    Their range of pasta and tinned tomatoes is not bad either.

Nice so I take from your ignoring the question you have never had a positive experience with some one from the roma community in ireland either then, how many negative experiences have you had.

Nodin wrote: »

I get why they have that rule in the politics forum but AFAIK it only actually excludes people that get transfer flights and never clear immigration e.g Home Country > Heathrow > Irish airport everything else is covered by the Dublin rules on entering a country illegally or receiving a visa (since they will be from outside the EU free travel area)

Nice so I take from your ignoring the question you have never had a positive experience with some one from the roma community in ireland either then, how many negative experiences have you had.

I didn't ignore the question - you asked everyone who thanked my post, but not me. :mad:

I've had neither positive nor negative experiences with Roma. The prejudice I was referring to wasn't that they're all thievin' gypsy bandits, but that they are all asylum seekers and a reflection on asylum seekers as a gang of messers.

Nodin wrote: »

Legally they are required to apply in the first EU country they arrive in. I'm surprised you aren't familiar with the Dublin Convention. We are entitled indeed obligated to send them back to that country when it can be proven.

Hence the term asylum tourism, whereby they mysteriously lose all travel documentation and passport etc that would prove they transited thought one or more EU countries before getting to Ireland.

I get why they have that rule in the politics forum but AFAIK it only actually excludes people that get transfer flights and never clear immigration e.g Home Country > Heathrow > Irish airport everything else is covered by the Dublin rules on entering a country illegally or receiving a visa (since they will be from outside the EU free travel area)

No, those who take transfer flights can claim here. EU travel area has nothing to do with it.

Legally they are required to apply in the first EU country they arrive in.......

No, they are not.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59465073&postcount=1

The Dublin convention was replaced by the Dublin regulation in 2003.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement