Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New council logo

Options
  • 14-06-2014 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭

So the new city and county council logo has been unveiled - its design went to a Dublin company who charged some €4,200 for this.

To me, the logo looks like it was bashed out by an intern in about an hour, showing complete lack of imagination and style.

I don't actually think that fee is excessive though, I would have put it at least twice that, because when a logo is presented, you get along with it a load of spiel and psychobabble about what the logo 'represents' and 'says' about the subject.

It's this creative writing that is the really clever bit.

So - could have done better, but not overpriced for the poor example it is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Jesus Waterford people enough of the complaining..........If things like this bother you i would suggest taking a trip to Tramore to get some fresh air.

Anything for a whinge eh. FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

So the new city and county council logo has been unveiled - its design went to a Dublin company who charged some €4,200 for this.

To me, the logo looks like it was bashed out by an intern in about an hour, showing complete lack of imagination and style.

I don't actually think that fee is excessive though, I would have put it at least twice that, because when a logo is presented, you get along with it a load of spiel and psychobabble about what the logo 'represents' and 'says' about the subject.

What kind of a design would you have come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

It's a missed opportunity in my opinion.

In recent years it has become clear that the tendering process that the Council are using is deeply flawed. The team behind the 1100 celebrations have done a terrible job in my opinion as there has been hardly anything said or done about a very basic marketing opportunity.

The new logo should could have been left to a competition with a €1000 prize fund. It would have been lovely on the winner's CV too. A couple of things would have happened then...A waterford person would have designed the logo and the council would have been assisting with their future job prospects. Instead it's designed by a Dublin company for a fee that poses more questions than answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Big Lar

wccc-logo-417x161.jpg
    For anyone that is looking for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Waterford is the fifth largest urban area in the country, it has been downgraded and left with no local authority of its own after 1000 years. While towns that would not even have the population of one of Waterford’s suburbs still have their own town councils. We have 19% unemployment with barely a blink from the government in action to do something about it and the design of a logo is the problem on your mind. You’d want to get your priorities straight fella Waterford has more pressing problems.

• Advertisement

BBM77 wrote: »
    Waterford is the fifth largest urban area in the country, it has been downgraded and left with no local authority of its own after 1000 years. While towns that would not even have the population of one of Waterford’s suburbs still have their own town councils. We have 19% unemployment with barely a blink from the government in action to do something about it and the design of a logo is the problem on your mind. You’d want to get your priorities straight fella Waterford has more pressing problems.

Are you serious? Shall we just close up the forum now and only allow people to talk about the county's job prospects? There are national issues, but there are also significant local issues. Lots of politics that are rotting this county from within. You only have to look at the joke that is the appointment of the mayor to see that.

This is a conversational forum and people are entitled to talk about whatever they want - you have absolutely no right to decide what is important and what isn't.

For the record, it's not the worst logo in the world but I don't understand why Michael Walsh doesn't take more opportunities to support his own people.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Is there any county wide symbol that would be recognisable to everyone? I'd say a big W is about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Big Lar wrote: »
    wccc-logo-417x161.jpg

What is the image supposed to represent:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Are you serious? Shall we just close up the forum now and only allow people to talk about the county's job prospects? There are national issues, but there are also significant local issues. Lots of politics that are rotting this county from within. You only have to look at the joke that is the appointment of the mayor to see that.

This is a conversational forum and people are entitled to talk about whatever they want - you have absolutely no right to decide what is important and what isn't.

For the record, it's not the worst logo in the world but I don't understand why Michael Walsh doesn't take more opportunities to support his own people.

As somebody who went to the trouble to submit an objection to the merger when it was being reviewed and to later find that I was one of only about 20 people to make a submission. I just find it a bit trivial to be complaining now specially about a logo.

Also this is a conversational forum and people are entitled to talk about whatever they want and that includes making a comment based on an opinion. Did you even read my comment? Where did I decide what is important and what isn't? I gave a comment based on my opinion which I am fully entitled to do. You can agree with it or not but don’t tell me I have no right to decide on my opinion and make a comment based on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

BBM77 wrote: »
    As somebody who went to the trouble to submit an objection to the merger when it was being reviewed and to later find that I was one of only about 20 people to make a submission. I just find it a bit trivial to be complaining now specially about a logo.

Also this is a conversational forum and people are entitled to talk about whatever they want and that includes making a comment based on an opinion. Did you even read my comment? Where did I decide what is important and what isn't? I gave a comment based on my opinion which I am fully entitled to do. You can agree with it or not but don’t tell me I have no right to decide on my opinion and make a comment based on it.

I think the OPs issue is that four grand was spent by WATERFORD on something done poorly in DUBLIN!

As for the logo, its a perfect example of modern software-led design which results in wishy-washy nonsense that means absolutely nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I quite like it, its a good deal more subtle than the OP is suggesting, though there is a small issue with the right arm and the way it interacts with the triangle bit, the left side is ok. I have not seen the blurb about it, but there is the W, the Viking triangle, a long boat, the two areas touching and a sense of uplift and moving forward about it. I am not mad keen on the colours, that dark blue is a bit ubiquitous, but i am seeing it on screen so maybe its not quite accurate, its shouting 'Pantone' at me :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Thats a pretty cool logo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Oh, I think it's terrible.

Really dull blues, limited movement and dated composition.

I like the font in the text though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Oh, I think it's terrible.

Really dull blues, limited movement and dated composition.

I like the font in the text though.

Totally agree, font is nice, symbol is poor. Will be cheap to reproduce across vans, clothing etc, only two colours involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Looks ok to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

danjo-xx wrote: »
    What is the image supposed to represent:eek:
    The pastime of the person who designed it? ;) The design process probably when like this: Waterford. Begins with a W. So use an artified W.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

23ti2rr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Why does it say city thought we were to loose that status according to some of the councillors when the change was announced...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Hoffmans wrote: »
    Why does it say city thought we were to loose that status according to some of the councillors when the change was announced...

cause lets be honest the councilors will tell u any rubbish to scare you into voting for them

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭GaelMise

Hoffmans wrote: »

City is still a city, its just not an 'Incorporated City' any more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Big Lar wrote: »
    wccc-logo-417x161.jpg

I like it. It has the three ships in there and a W too. Also it actually looks quite distinguished and easily recognisable. It has Waterford all over it.

Fail to see what there is to give out about to be honest. I think they did a pretty good job. Try to design something like that yourself some day. You will find its not as easy as you might think.

Edit: Just to make this clear. Not meant as a reply to the poster who put the logo up here. Meant as a general comment to the critics on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Is the issue the actual logo, the cost of the logo or the fact that it was not create locally?

Is the issue the actual logo, the cost of the logo or the fact that it was not create locally?

Depends on who you're talking to.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

From a design side, I think it's very basic and felt we could have done better when the two previous logos were fantastic for our City & County. They went down a similar route with a logo my business created a long time ago, but I just find the colour scheme a bit bland and felt we could have done better. The price doesn't surprise me as much, as the industry has a high price for logo design on a large scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I wouldn't have much faith in a great brief being delivered. If the brief is ****e, the work is ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Boskowski wrote: »
    Fail to see what there is to give out about to be honest.
    It is borderline Comic Sans.
    I think they did a pretty good job. Try to design something like that yourself some day. You will find its not as easy as you might think.
    Actually it is a lot easier than some people think. It is not exactly something complex like Big Data programming or rocket science.
    Edit: Just to make this clear. Not meant as a reply to the poster who put the logo up here. Meant as a general comment to the critics on this thread.
    In the immortal words of The Dude: Well that's just like your opinion, man. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Its a load a shyte , case closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

It's bland and says bland. Any local imaginative graphics student could have achieved more. Any local graphics company (and I'm not connected with any) could have topped this over coffee without breaking a sweat. It just looks 'corporate' and corporate is pretty much always bland. A missed opportunity as is the hallmark decision making process of those who run our county. Oh for the days of past jmcc when 'suits' were not around to wreck the creative buzz as well we remember :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

old gregg wrote: »
    It's bland and says bland. Any local imaginative graphics student could have achieved more. Any local graphics company (and I'm not connected with any) could have topped this over coffee without breaking a sweat. It just looks 'corporate' and corporate is pretty much always bland. A missed opportunity as is the hallmark decision making process of those who run our county. Oh for the days of past jmcc when 'suits' were not around to wreck the creative buzz as well we remember :(

I'm sure that the agency who created it could have been more experimental without much difficulty either. However, their job is solely to deliver on the brief and make the client happy. They were asked for a corporate logo, the agency delivered, the council was happy.

You probably had a council worker who drafted a brief up in 5 minutes, and then was scared of the potential of soaring costs through additional concepts, so was happy to go with the first suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

They should have asked the primary school kids to design something, wouldn't cost a sausage and guaranteed to be better than this.

Advertisement