Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an IPad and Galaxy tab in NY

Options
  • 14-06-2014 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Currently in NYC, could anybody tell me the best place to buy an IPad and a Samsung Galaxy tablet please? Any tips on what I need to watch out for would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

mattb74 wrote: »
    Hi all. Currently in NYC, could anybody tell me the best place to buy an IPad and a Samsung Galaxy tablet please? Any tips on what I need to watch out for would be appreciated. Thanks!

Apple store on 5th ave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

cena wrote: »
    Apple store on 5th ave
    The one in Chelsea wouldn't have as much tourists crowds IMO.

There is a best buy in Union square that would have both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

jjbrien wrote: »

Are they not just a camera store

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

cena wrote: »
    Are they not just a camera store

Nope, it's gadget heaven.

Just look at the categories on their home page .... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Or watch the movie... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/NYSuperStore08.jsp

Be aware that it's closed on Saturdays as the staff are overwhelmingly orthodox Jews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Adorama on west 18th is another option. Was there this morning. Looked to have every gadget under the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Check the websites for Bestbuy, Target and Walmart and other low cost places too.
    I saw a great deal on a Nokia 2520 in a Microsoft store.

Always check if it's tied to a carrier in which case you may not get in unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

coylemj wrote: »
    Nope, it's gadget heaven.

Just look at the categories on their home page .... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Or watch the movie... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/NYSuperStore08.jsp

Be aware that it's closed on Saturdays as the staff are overwhelmingly orthodox Jews.

The biggest electronics store i have ever been in too. I got my current laptop there and I always found their prices better then best buy. I could spend an enitre week in B&H looking at everything.

The staff there are mostly as you say theres a synagogue littley behind the place which I suspect they all attend but they are a cool bunch of guys working there. My laptop was only on their website but they got a van to bring it into the store for me as I wanted the specs it had. :) Never seen their level of service at best buy.

I think maybe we haven't really answered the OP's question which is what he needs to 'watch out for'.

My tuppence worth is that if he's only buying a Wi-Fi model then there are no banana skins to look out for, it will work fine anywhere.

Anyone got guidance on potential issues with network models -3G, 4G, LTE and all that stuff??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi all, thanks for the help, home and all now. I got it from the Apple store in grand central. I would have loved to have time to go into B&H, heard great things about that store. Maybe another time.

• Advertisement

mattb74 wrote: »
    Hi all, thanks for the help, home and all now. I got it from the Apple store in grand central. I would have loved to have time to go into B&H, heard great things about that store. Maybe another time.

Glad you got sorted. That Apple Store was just about to open when I was there in Nov. 2011, I went in to Grand Central station every day (was staying across the road in Fitzpatrick's) hoping they'd be open but no luck, think they opened in December or January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

coylemj wrote: »
    My tuppence worth is that if he's only buying a Wi-Fi model then there are no banana skins to look out for, it will work fine anywhere.

Anyone got guidance on potential issues with network models -3G, 4G, LTE and all that stuff??
    That was going to be my question. If I buy an iPad (or any other tablet) in the US is there anything to worry about in terms of region locks or the like?

Advertisement