Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prescribed something by Doctor, Pharmacy gave me something different.

Options
  • 14-06-2014 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

I couldn't figure out where to put this, but seeing as it was the Pharmacy that I have an issue with, I presume Consumer Issues is best..
    (If not, hopefully someone will move it.)

Hoping somebody can shed some light on this for me.

Long story short, I had to go to Hospital last week, I was prescribed Painkillers and Anti-inflammatory, but quoting the Doctor
    "I'm going to prescribe you Difene 75mg, because..... and..."

So the next day, I asked someone to collect my prescription. No bother. Collected and then I received it.
    When they got to me, I noticed it said "DICLAC RETARD 75MG PRO REL".

I pointed it out, and was told that if I wanted, they'd go back and change them. At this stage it was midday and my pain was starting to get a lot worse, so I said "No thanks, I'll try them, if they work grand, if not, then maybe change them."

Roll on 1:30PM, and I am in real bad pain :mad:. I was very uncomfortable, and couldn't sit/lie in comfort, so I rang my Mother. (All those tablets eem to have done was give me a very small bit of indigestion).
    She said she'd get them and change them.
    She brought them back to the Pharmacy, where she was told that I was precribed Diclac Retard.
    She asked for the Prescription back, at which point the Sales assistant (or whoever) pulled it out and said, "Oh, he was prescribed Difene, I'll change it for you if you want."

Then went on to say that the Government have them under orders to issue generic drugs instead of the 'normal' brands... :confused:

Is this true? WTF is Diclac Retard, and why would a Doctor prescribe something, and a Pharmacy geive me something else?

Do I have to double check every Prescription, against every Purchase?
    If the Doctor had prescribed them, I'd be still in a lot of pain, and most likely have to go back for a 2nd visit :mad:.

Incidentally, when I got the Difene, I waited until 6:40PM before I took one, and within about 30 minutes I felt a LOT better, pain subsided. I was even able to sleep last night.

If this is the Governments 'plan' to make/save money it is fcuking insane.
    Or was it the Pharmacy telling fibs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Allyall wrote: »
    I couldn't figure out where to put this, but seeing as it was the Pharmacy that I have an issue with, I presume Consumer Issues is best..

Long story short, I had to go to Hospital last week, I was prescribed Painkillers and Anti-inflammatory, but quoting the Doctor

So the next day, I asked someone to collect my prescription. No bother. Collected and then I received it.

I pointed it out, and was told that if I wanted, they'd go back and change them. At this stage it was midday and my pain was starting to get a lot worse, so I said "No thanks, I'll try them, if they work grand, if not, then maybe change them."

Roll on 1:30PM, and I am in real bad pain :mad:. I was very uncomfortable, and couldn't sit/lie in comfort, so I rang my Mother. (All those tablets eem to have done was give me a very small bit of indigestion).
    She brought them back to the Pharmacy, where she was told that I was precribed Diclac Retard.
    She asked for the Prescription back, at which point the Sales assistant (or whoever) pulled it out and said, "Oh, he was prescribed Difene, I'll change it for you if you want."

Then went on to say that the Government have them under orders to issue generic drugs instead of the 'normal' brands... :confused:

Is this true? WTF is Diclac Retard, and why would a Doctor prescribe something, and a Pharmacy geive me something else?

If the Doctor had prescribed them, I'd be still in a lot of pain, and most likely have to go back for a 2nd visit :mad:.

Incidentally, when I got the Difene, I waited until 6:40PM before I took one, and within about 30 minutes I felt a LOT better, pain subsided. I was even able to sleep last night.

I think they may be the same medication , one might be a generic brand name , both I think cause indigestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Sounds like the pharmacy screwed up to be honest!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I think they may be the same medication , one might be a generic brand name , both I think cause indigestion.

I was half joking about indegestion, as I had eaten a bit of junk, being couch bound.

But they couldn't be the same.. :confused: I was still in a lot of pain after the Diclac stuff.
    Was not after the Difene. There is no way that pain was in my mind..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Diclac and difene both have the same active ingredient: Diclofenac Sodium. It's well known to give stomach issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Pharmacy will issue generics wherever possible. If you have a medical card and want to the branded product you need to pay a price differential. Most pharmacies will explain this to you.

FWIW the generic brand of tablets is made up of identical ingredients as to the branded ones. Your paying more for the brand. And the pharmacy isn't lying it is a government initiative for medical card holders to be dispensed with generics for selected lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

The Pharmacy is not telling fibs. Basically when a company create a new drug only they can produce it for a certain number of years. They invest a lot of money in research/advertising/studys etc. After that number of years have passed other companies can create the same drug however they call it by a different name. The tablet made by the second company is called the generic version. The Generic version is normally cheaper as they have not had to invest as much in studies/advertising etc

The government introduced rules in the recent past saying that Pharmacies must issue the Generic version to GMS patients in order to reduce medical cost to the Department of Health. To the best of my knowledge the only time that Pharmacies can issue the more expensive version is if the Doctor has written do not subsitute on the prescription.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭alias no.9

It's the same active ingredient AFAIK, only the branding is different. I've used both with the same effect.

I was half joking about indegestion, as I had eaten a bit of junk, being couch bound.

But they couldn't be the same.. :confused: I was still in a lot of pain after the Diclac stuff.
    Was not after the Difene. There is no way that pain was in my mind..

Both are NSAIDS , anti inflammatory medication.Both the same , difene is famous for its side effects.
    He avoided anything opiate based .

Diclac and difene both have the same active ingredient: Diclofenac Sodium. It's well known to give stomach issues.
    So maybe it was them...
    duffman13 wrote: »
    Pharmacy will issue generics wherever possible. If you have a medical card and want to the branded product you need to pay a price differential. Most pharmacies will explain this to you.

FWIW the generic brand of tablets is made up of identical ingredients as to the branded ones. Your paying more for the brand. And the pharmacy isn't lying it is a government initiative for medical card holders to be dispensed with generics for selected lines.

I don't know if It was explained, I didn't collect them, but €30 and I got some change, I didn't check it.. - and I don't have a medical card.

So I guess they are the same then...
    Would Time of day have made any difference?

But, the pain was excruciating still, after the Diclac.. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I don't know if It was explained, I didn't collect them, but €30 and I got some change, I didn't check it.. - and I don't have a medical card.

In the case of a Non GMS patient it should have been explained to the person picking the tablets up. They should have been told about the Generic version versus the prescribed version.

I would guess that either the person who picked the tabs up picked the Generic version or else the tabs you were prescribed were out of stock so they gave you the Generic. I know my local pharmacy keeps very low stock in and often has to order tablets in to fill scripts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Its not uncommon for people to experience slightly different side effects to generics than to the branded drug, simply because they each may use different binding agents etc but the active ingredient is the same. This can obviously vary person to person with most people not seeing or feeling any difference between the two, but it does occur simply due to the differences in the manufacturing process between different plants/companies.

Miaireland wrote: »
    In the case of a Non GMS patient it should have been explained to the person picking the tablets up. They should have been told about the Generic version versus the prescribed version.

I would guess that either the person who picked the tabs up picked the Generic version or else the tabs you were prescribed were out of stock so they gave you the Generic. I know my local pharmacy keeps very low stock in and often has to order tablets in to fill scripts.

Okay, I'll take everyones word for it.. :o:)

Thanks, Still stumped about the pain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

So I guess they are the same then...
    Would Time of day have made any difference?

But, the pain was excruciating still, after the Diclac.. :confused:

It's like paracetamol v panadol. Same thing. Unless it was a type of placebo effect?

Ah, I'll put it down to working, but not strong enough for the initial pain.
    Maybe by the time I took the Difene, the Diclac stuff had done most of the hard work..?

I don't know if that's possible, but that's what I'm taking from this, if they are both the same..
    Thanks evryone, insanely fast responses.. (Must be a lot of medics on Boards.. ) :D

EDIT -

Also feeling a lot better about it now.. :)

Ah, I'll put it down to working, but not strong enough for the initial pain.
    Maybe by the time I took the Difene, the Diclac stuff had done most of the hard work..?

I don't know if that's possible, but that's what I'm taking from this, if they are both the same..
    Thanks evryone, insanely fast responses.. (Must be a lot of medics on Boards.. ) :D

No worries , I do amateur surgery in my spare time.

No worries , I do amateur surgery in my spare time.

Put me down for a right arm and leg amputation.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

The reason they worked slightly different is you were given retard tablets which are designed to release the medication over a period of time, this also explains as why the Difene worked so quickly because the Diclofenac retard was already working it's way into your system.

There is no real difference between brands, the only difference here would have been the fact its a slower release medication.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A generic drug contains the same active ingredient as the branded drug. You just pay more for the branded drug.

Difene (and other painkillers like it) are hard on the digestive system. Stomach irritation is a common side effect.

If you are still in pain after taking Difene (or generic equivalent), then you should consult your GP. We cannot offer medical advice here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭doctorjohn

Both meds contain diclofenac , equal amounts.
    Both meds are generics
    Both meds contain the exact same amount except the ingredient.
    One third of the diclac retard however is slow release formulation, the other 2/3rd of it are normal speed release.

Neither is the original branded patented product

Voltarol is the original branded medicine - it has been off patent for 20 years or more.

Other branded generic names for the same medicine (diclofenac) are
    (difene, diclac, diclo,..........etc, dependding on which company makes it)

All versions of diclofenac are notorious for causing gastric upset - its most common side effect - this is a side effect of the diclofenac itself and not the Voltarol, Difene, Diclac, Diclo etc.

You were not maltreated.

This is a good example of how confusion can happen with generic substitution, which the government has put in place (now mandatory for pharmacies) for all government run reimbursement schemes
    a) GMS - medical card scheme
    b) private prescriptions where someones total monthly medicine expenditure exceeds the €144 to avail of the drugs refund scheme.

Of course anyone can insist on receiving exactly what was on the prescription but if using a) or b) one must pay the difference in price between the generic reference price and the specific one, if you insist.

This does not apply if, you are a non GMS (private) patient, who is not availing of b), where you are entitled to pay for the exact one on the prescription.

In this instance the chemist was just trying to save you a few bob by dispensing the least expensive of the exact (in essence) same thing.

This is not the same as pepsi vs coke (as they are different ingredients and ratios of ingredients)

This is the same as AlDI butter and LIDL butter - if both contain the same butter made in the same creamery, but just in different packaging.

This warrants a thank you to the pharmacy for trying to save you a few bob.

There is no conspiracy here.

I'm sorry that the confusion caused you distress and ended in upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭doctorjohn

Apologies typo

"except the ingredient"

should read

of the ingredient

doctorjohn wrote: »

I'm sorry that the confusion caused you distress and ended in upset.

No real distress and didn't end in upset. I was most likely not in the best of humour as I was in a lot of pain (I was in foul humour), and I was questioning why I received a different tablet. Which was explained.

The slow release makes sense to me, but I don't know if that is what made the difference. All i can say for sure is that after the initial tablets, I was still in a lot of pain after taking them.
    After the later ones, I wasn't.
    I still have discomfort, and still taking them, but a lot better now, thnk God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Diclac is the biz

Take it after marathons the get rid of joint pain

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Difene 75mg also has a slow release component. For all intents and purposes Difene 75 and Diclac 75 are the same thing.

Sometimes it's not even down to saving a few bob, it's just what is in stock. Sometimes there wouldn't be enough Difene on the shelf for the full amount and you'd just give the Diclac to save the customer having to call back...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blackis200

I am in aweful pain with gout as I write.
    I don't drink and I don't eat meat. I suspect I get the acidity from mushrooms, fish and tomatoes.
    I have difene. It controls the pain.
    I have Diclac. No relief what so ever.
    I pity the patients in hospitals who need Difene and are given Diclac as an cheap substitute.
    It is not a same for same substitute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

blackis200 wrote: »
    I am in aweful pain with gout as I write.
    I don't drink and I don't eat meat. I suspect I get the acidity from mushrooms, fish and tomatoes.
    I have difene. It controls the pain.
    I have Diclac. No relief what so ever.
    I pity the patients in hospitals who need Difene and are given Diclac as an cheap substitute.
    It is not a same for same substitute.
    Active ingredient is IDENTICAL. Your mind is playing tricks.

Some people are suckers for brand names.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement