Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBA, but where?

Options
  • 14-06-2014 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I want to enrol in an MBA program, struggling to decide on which uni to go for. At the moment I live in Sydney, intend to stay here for another 4-5 years and then head home. I have been doing some research on the various options and have picked two universities which would suit my work location best, as in, the easiest to get to in the evening for class. Thing is, neither of these are in the prestigious MBA programs available. To give some perspective, the two most prestigious business schools in Sydney, their MBAs cost roughly $60k and $70k. The two programs I have my eyes on are $40k and $35k, both at quite reputable universities, just not the most prestigious business schools.

One of the best reported benefits of doing an MBA is the networking opportunities, and these would probably be even better at the prestigious schools. However, if I am going to pack my bags in a few years, this networking probably won’t be worth anything.

Also, while AGSM, and MGSM might have loads of prestige in Sydney, in Ireland, I doubt they would carry any.

So, would I be right in thinking that I will probably get a better bang for my buck at the two more convenient options? Will the quality of learning's be much different between the schools?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

lg123 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I want to enrol in an MBA program, struggling to decide on which uni to go for. At the moment I live in Sydney, intend to stay here for another 4-5 years and then head home. I have been doing some research on the various options and have picked two universities which would suit my work location best, as in, the easiest to get to in the evening for class. Thing is, neither of these are in the prestigious MBA programs available. To give some perspective, the two most prestigious business schools in Sydney, their MBAs cost roughly $60k and $70k. The two programs I have my eyes on are $40k and $35k, both at quite reputable universities, just not the most prestigious business schools.

One of the best reported benefits of doing an MBA is the networking opportunities, and these would probably be even better at the prestigious schools. However, if I am going to pack my bags in a few years, this networking probably won’t be worth anything.

Also, while AGSM, and MGSM might have loads of prestige in Sydney, in Ireland, I doubt they would carry any.

So, would I be right in thinking that I will probably get a better bang for my buck at the two more convenient options? Will the quality of learning's be much different between the schools?

Go for the expensive one. You pay for quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dally

These days networking is global - who can predict if the contacts you make in Australia will be useless when you return to Ireland.

And if you go for the prestigious option, at least then you can tell people that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

i think i would rather the $30k in my bank account than brag.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Go for the expensive one. You pay for quality.

but would the significant increase in price equate to an equally significant better education in this case.
    the two convenient options are still reputable universities. to put it in a dublin comparison, it would probably be like comparing Trinity v DIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

but would the significant increase in price equate to an equally significant better education in this case.
    the two convenient options are still reputable universities. to put it in a dublin comparison, it would probably be like comparing Trinity v DIT.

The most expensive course don't mean it will provide the best return on investment
    http://economist.com/news/business/21601884-payback-time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭stephenamccann

All courses are allegedly looked at the same - it doesn't matter where your MBA is from as long as you have one. However, some employees only advertise within the reputable ones. If you can sell yourself well, chose the cheaper course. If you can't sell yourself well, then reputation may be what you need.

crunched the numbers and it looks like the more expensive course will take about 18mths to pay back the loan. 5.5 years v 7. assuming no increase in salary over those years, and paying off $100/week.
    i have pretty much set myself on the more expensive course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

crunched the numbers and it looks like the more expensive course will take about 18mths to pay back the loan. 5.5 years v 7. assuming no increase in salary over those years, and paying off $100/week.
    i have pretty much set myself on the more expensive course.

Why do you want an MBA ? What path do you think it'' lead you to ?

Are there any other feasible alternatives ?

i want to do an MBA because i know that i have to improve my business knowledge to take the next step in my career. i come from an engineering background and sometimes struggle to keep up in financial or other core business discussions. i don't think it will lead me down this path but will hopefully better equip me to make my own way down the path.

a master of marketing would be a more feasible option but the MBA carry's more clout on a CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hof1982

i want to do an MBA because i know that i have to improve my business knowledge to take the next step in my career. i come from an engineering background and sometimes struggle to keep up in financial or other core business discussions. i don't think it will lead me down this path but will hopefully better equip me to make my own way down the path.

a master of marketing would be a more feasible option but the MBA carry's more clout on a CV.

How do the various options compare in terms of accreditation - that should be a key consideration. We recently interviewed for a sales manager position we had in our firm and I was surprised by the number of MBA grads that applied and from the likes of Smurfit and Trinity. An MBA grad did not get the job after so it's horses for courses and as has already been pointed out above I would consider carefully where you want to end up before making such a significant investment. It was an eye opener for me seeing the amount of MBAs that applied given that the package wasn't spectacular by any stretch.

• Advertisement

don't see myself in sales management but if we move home, i will need to compete with these guys from Trinity and Smurfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

don't see myself in sales management but if we move home, i will need to compete with these guys from Trinity and Smurfit.

If not sales management what position.

Take a look at the CFA it's much cheaper and some would argue that it carries more weight than an MBA.

A lot of guys from engineering background have capped their degree with the CFA then again it depends on what area you would like to get into.

If your looking into the business finance area(not sure how they call it), e,g sales, marketing etc going for MSc/ MBA might suit you.

It's a lot if money for an MBA. Personally I'd go with the CFA as it could also lead you where you want to be.

I think i'd be more into the marketing side than direct sales management.

CFA, chartered financial analyst? never heard of that before, maybe its called something a little different here.

it is a lot of money for the MBA but its a fairly broad course. a master of marketing would be a little too specalised for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

All courses are allegedly looked at the same - it doesn't matter where your MBA is from as long as you have one.

This is not true.

Advertisement