Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coore Wind Farm

• 14-06-2014 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

An Pord Pleanala have ignored their Inspector & given the green light to build turbines on a foraging area of Hen Harriers.

Under international legislation, the Hen Harrier is a protected species but not, seemingly, its foraging area! How ludicrous is that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

I find that the majority of people against renewable energy have vested interests,usually involved in selling turf or wood and afraid they might lose revenue because of it.Do you fall into this category op ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

The government gave Shell rights to build a controversial pipeline right through the middle of protected wetlands endangering a list of animals directly. You think a foraging area is going to stop them?

But at least this is wind. Having lived in other countries like Holland that have them everywhere, I don't see what the big deal is. A majority of horror stories you hear about wind farms are rubbish. Visit Holland and see them right next to estates and there are no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Snowc wrote: »
    I find that the majority of people against renewable energy have vested interests,usually involved in selling turf or wood and afraid they might lose revenue because of it.Do you fall into this category op ?

I don't sell wood or turf but what I do stand to lose is the value of my house & home - how would YOU like that to happen to YOU?

CptSternn wrote: »
    The government gave Shell rights to build a controversial pipeline right through the middle of protected wetlands endangering a list of animals directly. You think a foraging area is going to stop them?

But at least this is wind. Having lived in other countries like Holland that have them everywhere, I don't see what the big deal is. A majority of horror stories you hear about wind farms are rubbish. Visit Holland and see them right next to estates and there are no issues.

What evidence do you have to support that there are no issues there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

homepageimage?h=454&mw=975&w=975

Because they were there for decades before I moved there and the entire time I lived there there were no problems. No weird noises, no strange headaches, nothing. Just renewable power and no issues.

Like legal weed there - no issues with that either, nothing like what the government here describes will happen if they let people open rookcaffees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,748 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Seems to be a different story just over the border. Increasing numbers of Germans questioning the whole rush into wind

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/wind-energy-encounters-problems-and-resistance-in-germany-a-910816.html

The problem with wind is that it is just not a reliable source of power -

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/blow-for-council-as-wind-power-fails-to-light-up-20m-park-29709815.html

I think in this country would would be better going down the route of using biomass in the form of forestry and agri waste for energy. A constant reliable supply that doesn't involve disfiguring vast parts of rural Ireland with wind farms and pylon sprawl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

The Hen Harrier can spot prey from quite a distance. Give the bird some credit-I doubt he's dumb enough to fly into a turbine.
    Tall poppy syndrome at work here.

Much better burning willow for biomass where poor soil - very fast growing, harvest every 5 yrs!

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Seems to be a different story just over the border. Increasing numbers of Germans questioning the whole rush into wind

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/wind-energy-encounters-problems-and-resistance-in-germany-a-910816.html

The problem with wind is that it is just not a reliable source of power -

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/blow-for-council-as-wind-power-fails-to-light-up-20m-park-29709815.html

I think in this country would would be better going down the route of using biomass in the form of forestry and agri waste for energy. A constant reliable supply that doesn't involve disfiguring vast parts of rural Ireland with wind farms and pylon sprawl
    Biomass or better still early thinnings from plantations would be great.
    Turbines aren't for ever, and to many folks they are extremely beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

Jim Martin wrote: »
    I don't sell wood or turf but what I do stand to lose is the value of my house & home - how would YOU like that to happen to YOU?

Well at least you are being up front now and not trying to pretend you give a hoot about Hen Harriers.

• Advertisement

CptSternn wrote: »
    homepageimage?h=454&mw=975&w=975

Because they were there for decades before I moved there and the entire time I lived there there were no problems. No weird noises, no strange headaches, nothing. Just renewable power and no issues.

Like legal weed there - no issues with that either, nothing like what the government here describes will happen if they let people open rookcaffees.
    Unfortunately there are people who are averse to progress, unless it conforms to what they think. I can think of the woman who told me she objected to a phone mast 1/2 a mile from her home because she could see it from the front door and "it just wasn't part of the countryside" and the English twat who told a neighbour that if he planted his land, that he and his wife would "simply have to move" because they would have to "confront" the trees each day as they drove to work.
    Oy Vey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

I don't sell wood or turf but what I do stand to lose is the value of my house & home

Ah the real reason why your against this development and not because it "MAY" be home to a few hen harriers.I wasnt too far wrong with my original post Jim ;)

Edit-missed BnB's post before posting.I would bet the op couldn't tell the difference between a hen harrier and a crow....

BnB wrote: »
    Well at least you are being up front now and not trying to pretend you give a hoot about Hen Harriers.

Excuse me! It's not just about me & my property - I do very much "give a hoot" about the hen harrier as you so succinctly put it, and a number of other items in the local environment which would be affected such as flora & fauna being disturbed, especially in the construction phase & disturbance to aquifers!

Snowc wrote: »
    Ah the real reason why your against this development and not because it "MAY" be home to a few hen harriers.I wasnt too far wrong with my original post Jim ;)

Edit-missed BnB's post before posting.I would bet the op couldn't tell the difference between a hen harrier and a crow....

Excuse me! It's not just about me & my property - I do very much care about the hen harrier and a number of other items in the local environment which would be affected such as flora & fauna being disturbed, especially in the construction phase & disturbance to aquifers!

Excuse me! It's not just about me & my property - I do very much care about the hen harrier and a number of other items in the local environment which would be affected such as flora & fauna being disturbed, especially in the construction phase & disturbance to aquifers!
    Flora and fauna recover. Construction disturbance is nothing compared to the effects of climate change.
    Take a look at the attached photo. It's of new growth forest on Mt St Helen's where the old growth forest was destroyed in 1982, with pyroclastic flows of 1500 degrees F, and 540 million tons of ash blown into the sky eventually covering 2200 square miles. The amount of ash alone removed from the rivers was nearly 140 million cubic yards (110 million meters) . This is enough material to build twelve lanes of highway, one-foot thick, from New York to San Francisco. The construction of a few wind turbines is insignificant.
    As for damage to aquifers, you should be as concerned for them each time a new house is built, or for that matter any time the subsoil and bedrock are disturbed

Flora and fauna recover. Construction disturbance is nothing compared to the effects of climate change.
    Take a look at the attached photo. It's of new growth forest on Mt St Helen's where the old growth forest was destroyed in 1982, with pyroclastic flows of 1500 degrees F, and 540 million tons of ash blown into the sky eventually covering 2200 square miles. The amount of ash alone removed from the rivers was nearly 140 million cubic yards (110 million meters) . This is enough material to build twelve lanes of highway, one-foot thick, from New York to San Francisco. The construction of a few wind turbines is insignificant.
    As for damage to aquifers, you should be as concerned for them each time a new house is built, or for that matter any time the subsoil and bedrock are disturbed

The construction of a few wind turbines is not insignificant! I think you will find that their foundations go down JUST A LITTLE BIT FURTHER than house foundations!

The construction of a few wind turbines is not insignificant! I think you will find that their foundations go down JUST A LITTLE BIT FURTHER than house foundations!
    <Mod Snip>

Mod Note: There is no need to get personal.

<Mod Snip>

Mod Note: There is no need to get personal.
    Personal?

Advertisement