Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management company will remove all services to the apartment rented by us

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Sandra_Silver

the director of the management company is after calling me confirming that all services will be removed from Monday
    I asked him why he keeps contacting us instead of the rent receiver, he said he is not interested in talking to them

• Registered Users Posts: 20,021 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

the director of the management company is after calling me confirming that all services will be removed from Monday
    I asked him why he keeps contacting us instead of the rent receiver, he said he is not interested in talking to them

so he has gone from not talking to you to only taking to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I would tell that director that you have no obligations towards the MC, and that he must deal with the receiver.

It all sounds very dodgy and fishy, the whole thing. Something is just not right, and you are caught in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

Whatever about the rights and wrongs here, my own advice for anyone living in an apartment where they are notified a rent receiver has been appointed is to give the appropriate notice and leave. This is what I tell friends/family. It's just not worth finding yourself in the middle of the OMC/landlord/receiver.

Of course, this doesn't stop the usual hassle with getting your deposit back.

By the way OP, did the receiver confirm they will give you back your deposit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The rent receiver has reply to me today
    "We have written to them (management company) 6 times without reply. Our argument is quite simple, we are quite happy to pay the management charge but what we aren't going to do is pay the management charge for the period before us taking control of the properties. Never once have they attempted to engage with us. What we did get was lots of bad language and the attitude that you have come across yourself."
    Its clearly that MC does not want to solve that problem

That's passing the buck. They are answerable to you, the circumstances are irrelevant, your relationship is with them. They can spin any stories they want but if you get cut off, they are the ones who caused it. Once you contacted them with the problem they are liable to remedy it not to play a blame game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I would suggest that if your power connection is interfered with that you call ESB Networks.

The MC do not own the power lines and tempering with them is quite possibly an offence.

I can assure you the ESB will take anyone other than their staff disconnecting a customer very seriously.

The management company clearly want you to move out so that the landlord is forced to deal with the issue as the property won't be rentable without services.

Your agreement is with the landlord or whoever has taken that role over.

You should lodge a formal complaint with the PRTB over threats to cut off services.

Technically speaking, the MC are nothing to do with you. They're a 3rd party providing services to the landlord.

The history between the receiver and the management company is also totally irrelevant to you. Simply shouldn't be your problem.

You should contact Treshold and ask for advice on what to do next.

Failing that, if you have the funds and are determined to stay, contact a solicitor.

You may need to get a lot more pushy with the receiver and enforce your contract. You could also get a formal solicitor's letter sent to the MC to explain that they need to stop contacting you and deal with the landlord and that if they continue to harrass you that furthet legal advice will be sought etc

My opinion is that you should move. No rental place is worth that amount of hassle.

I spoke with the director of the rent receiver yesterday and was told the management fees which haven't been paid date to before his company took over as rent receiver, and that they have tried to solve the problem, but the director of management company refuses to admit that they are not responsible for the money which my previous landlord owed to the management company. Landlord (and his company) is in administration and the rent receiver suggested to the MC that they should take a case against landlord's company, but they haven't. It's unlikely that they would get any money if they did. The director of RR also said that he had had unpleasant experience of dealing with the director of MC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I spoke with the director of the rent receiver yesterday and was told the management fees which haven't been paid date to before his company took over as rent receiver, and that they have tried to solve the problem, but the director of management company refuses to admit that they are not responsible for the money which my previous landlord owed to the management company. Landlord (and his company) is in administration and the rent receiver suggested to the MC that they should take a case against landlord's company, but they haven't. It's unlikely that they would get any money if they did. The director of RR also said that he had had unpleasant experience of dealing with the director of MC.

In that case, you should move out ASAP and find somewhere else to live. You are only getting caught up in the mess between the management company and the rent receiver/landlord.

Let them work it all out, when there is no one living in the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Paulw wrote: »
    In that case, you should move out ASAP and find somewhere else to live. You are only getting caught up in the mess between the management company and the rent receiver/landlord.

This. It's gonna be a long drawn out process now before this gets sorted so your only option left is to move out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

None of this is your problem.
    If it were me I would just terminate the lease agreement and leave.
    It's not worth the hassle. How much unnecessary stress is the situation causing you?

The landlord is obviously out of money too which will mean things like essential repairs may go undone too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Paulw wrote: »

OP try and find somewhere else over the next few weeks.

I could also suggest that you immediately cancel any payments going to the rent receivor as you probably won't ever get a deposit back, but that type of advice is frowned upon here as it is seen as illegal.

Then again so is withholding a deposit, and I would bet a large amount of money that the OP will never ever see a deposit since landlord in receivorship.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

I spoke with the director of the rent receiver yesterday and was told the management fees which haven't been paid date to before his company took over as rent receiver
    Any update since, OP?

MC has postponed the removal of services for 7 days and required us to pay the rent directly to their bank account. I asked for a court order/ legal basis but was informed that in the very unlikely event the landlord instigates any action against me in relation to not receiving the rent the management company will reimburse them all rent received subject to proof of ownership or proof they are the appointed receiver. I suggested that to the rent receiver and was told that should the company not receive it's rent, it will immediately instigate recovery proceedings on the property.
    Services hasn't been intact so far

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

MC has postponed the removal of services for 7 days and required us to pay the rent directly to their bank account. I asked for a court order/ legal basis but was informed that in the very unlikely event the landlord instigates any action against me in relation to not receiving the rent the management company will reimburse them all rent received subject to proof of ownership or proof they are the appointed receiver. I suggested that to the rent receiver and was told that should the company not receive it's rent, it will immediately instigate recovery proceedings on the property.
    Services hasn't been intact so far

Do not under any circumstances pay rent directly to the MC, without the permission (in writing) from the rent receiver.
    Sandra, you really need to just move out of that apartment, it's really not worth the hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I agree, OP you need to get out of there. I know the timing isn't great but you're a pawn between both parties. I still believe the rent receiver is the ultimate player here but it's not good for you to be the innocent pawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

Also you may want to point the MC to the section on CrimeCall last night about messing with supplies..

They take it VERY seriously..

Advertisement