Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tc-Play - a command line alternative to Truecrypt

• 14-06-2014 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Thought this nifty little program deserved a thread of its own.

If you're running Linux and you're comfortable with the command line, then this nifty little app is excellent for protecting your data. To quote the Arch Linux Wiki:
    tcplay is a free, fully featured and stable TrueCrypt implementation including multiple keyfiles and cipher cascades.

Source : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Tcplay

The guide in the Arch wiki is pretty self explanatory but for fellow Luddites I've written a basic step by step guide on my tech blog.

There is actually a graphical frontend for this program called Zulucrypt but I've never been able to get it working and you can pretty much copy and paste the commands you need.

Of course you can just use Linux built in tools to protect your data but with tc-play you get keyfiles with passwords, hidden volumes and multiple ciphers.

So - all of the advantages of Truecrypt but no worrying niggles about backdoors, dodgy licences and lack of scrutiny.

N.B The type of encryption I describe in my Tech Blog is for AES-Twofish-Serpent using Whirlpool as a hash. In my opinion these are the most secure options when used with a sufficiently random keyfile and strong password. Opinions may differ however and you can omit or re-order any of these options as you see fit.

Advertisement