Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on Legalizing Marijuana

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

catallus wrote: »
    Indeed. You're an expert on that, I suppose?

Or are you just another sheep who hears the call of the cool brigade and says "Oh yeah, let's all legalise this, "'cos we got to like stick it to the man!"

Baa..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

until the problem of coming down arises. This is when the paranoiac violence and rage comes out.

Some serious 1950's style misinformation there.

Where would you even get something like that? "paranoiac violence and rage"?

In the midst of the pro- and anti- arguments here in the US I never even heard that assertion before. The right wing religious fundamentalists in Colorado who were opposed to legalization never even came up with any assertions like that.

Because lying about the effects only plays into the other sides arguments.

Bizarre.

:confused:

"paranoiac violence and rage"? Ha ha ha ha ha!!

By the way... it just gradually wears off... like having a half glass of beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

Marijuana is a class 1 controlled substance in America along with Heroin and Meth(and we all know what Meth and Heroin do) funny enough there aren't any recorded cases of marijuana overdoses ever yet people overdose on water.

Marijuana doesn't contribute to Lung cancer or Throat cancer look up recorded medical journals.

Nicotine kills roughly 1 in 5 Americans is a leading contributer to Lung and throat cancer, and Drink leads to millions of deaths due to drink driving (and it actually lowers test in your body)But they make money so it's widely promoted.

Not a marijuana smoker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Marijuana has less health risks compared to regular cigarettes, and have numerous benefits --- it's my believe various companies bribe the Governments to have it remain illegal, be it pharmaceuticals and tobacco companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Historic day here in Seattle. The end of prohibition as the first of the completely legal recreational pot shops open.

Only a few at first. The licenses were only given out yesterday. And to cut out the criminal element the product has to come from State licensed growers within Washington state so there's due to be shortages as production ramps up.

But you can expect that within 6 months it'll settle down into regular business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Whisko

What's ridiculous is people saying that cannabis is a harmless drug. Its ridiculous to say that it has no downsides. Its ridiculous to promote it as a good thing for people with depression (as has been said in-thread), it is ridiculous to say "There is no come down, you get high hour later your no longer high but it puts you back to straight line." or " your "endo canabaniod" system actually creates "canabinoids" in everyone's system so weather or not you smoke it you enjoy the effects of it." It is ridiculous to say "If you smoke indica, it can make you tired, but when that wears off, you actually feel more energetic." and "There simply is no come down from cannabis."

What is it with drug-users that they want to drag everyone else into their malaise?

Personally, I couldn't care less what people want to do drugwise, if you want to dope yourself up to the eyeballs with whatever you're having yourself, but the idea of making it legal and freely available is just dumb. The damage caused by alcohol would, one thinks, give a good indicator of what an intoxicant can do if it is freely available, and that legality is, perversely, given as a reason why we should **** up society more!?

You really don't have a clue mate. You need to stop calling what others say ridiculous when you come out with garbage like:
    There's nothing nicer, from the pov of a barman or even the government, than a stoned person; they are mellow and malleable, all is good with the world; until the problem of coming down arises. This is when the paranoiac violence and rage comes out.

The inner illumination offered by drugs is enticing. But it is a false light.

What an absolute load of bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

Your point of view seems to be blind to the after-effects of this insidious drug.

There's nothing nicer, from the pov of a barman or even the government, than a stoned person; they are mellow and malleable, all is good with the world; until the problem of coming down arises. This is when the paranoiac violence and rage comes out.

The inner illumination offered by drugs is enticing. But it is a false light.

Paranoiac violence and rage from someone coming down from smoking a joint?

Please do yourself a favour, and the forum in general, and stop wasting your own time, if it is that important in the first place, and clogging up threads, with utter idiocy like that sort of post. If you don't know much about the particular subject being discussed, please just refrain from posting instead of posting that sort of garbage, as it just spreads false information from people who really don't seem to have a clue about something but feel as if they have to rant their opinion on it anyway.

I'm sure there's a Joe Duffy fanclub thread in the forum somewhere that you should toddle off to, I'm sure you'll be right at home there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Legailize it man

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Has Jeremy Kyle thought you people nothing ? jeeeez

• Registered Users Posts: 12,548 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

mad muffin wrote: »
    Been around the world twice. Talked to everyone once. Seen two whales ****, been to three world fairs. And I met an old man in Thailand with a wooden cock. Pushed more peeter, more sweeter and more completer than any other peter pusher around. I'm a hard bodied, hairy chested, rootin' tootin' shootin', parachutin' demolition double cap crimpin' frogman. There ain't nothin' I can't do. No sky too high, no sea too rough, no muff too tough. Been a lot of lessons in my life. Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet. Drove all kinds of trucks. 2by's, 4by's , 6by's and those big mother ****ers that go 'Shhh Shhh' and bend in the middle. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards. I'm a lover, I'm a fighter, I'm a UDT Navy SEAL diver. I'll wine, dine, intertwine, and sneak out the back door when the refueling is done. So if you're feeling froggy, then you better jump, because this frogman's been there, done that and is going back for more. Cheers boys.

Jeez Mad Muffin you are a funny guy.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

mad muffin wrote: »
    Been around the world twice. Talked to everyone once. Seen two whales ****, been to three world fairs. And I met an old man in Thailand with a wooden cock. Pushed more peeter, more sweeter and more completer than any other peter pusher around. I'm a hard bodied, hairy chested, rootin' tootin' shootin', parachutin' demolition double cap crimpin' frogman. There ain't nothin' I can't do. No sky too high, no sea too rough, no muff too tough. Been a lot of lessons in my life. Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet. Drove all kinds of trucks. 2by's, 4by's , 6by's and those big mother ****ers that go 'Shhh Shhh' and bend in the middle. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards. I'm a lover, I'm a fighter, I'm a UDT Navy SEAL diver. I'll wine, dine, intertwine, and sneak out the back door when the refueling is done. So if you're feeling froggy, then you better jump, because this frogman's been there, done that and is going back for more. Cheers boys.

Just watched that film last night! Better than expected and that bit is just legendary!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,548 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

LKJ - Steet 66

"No man would dance but leap and shake
    That sharp through feeling right
    Shape that sound, tumbling down
    Making movement, ruff enuff

'Cos when the music met I-tops
    I felt this thing, knew the shock, yeah, had to do and ride the rock
    Outta this rock shall come a greener rhythm
    Even more dread than what the breeze of glory bred
    Vibrating violence is our only move
    Rocking with green rhythm
    The drought and dry root out

The mighty poet I roy was on the wire
    Weston did a skank and each man laugh and feeling irie
    Dread I street 66, the sad man said, any policeman come here
    Will get some righteous, raasclot licks, yeah mon, whole heapa licks

Hours beat, the scene moving right, when all on a sudden
    Bam, bam, bam, a knocking upon the door
    "Who is that?", asked Weston, feeling right
    "Open up, it's the police, come on, open up"
    "What address do you want?"
    "Number 66, come on, open up"
    Weston, feeling high, replied
    "Yes, this is street 66, step right in and take some licks"

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

So weed comedown = PCP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

Spunge wrote: »
    So weed comedown = PCP ?

Yes. Careful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,957 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Legalize Marijuana,no way. Not after that handball against England.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Jeez Mad Muffin you are a funny guy.

I do be trying :pac:

Luke92 wrote: »
    Just watched that film last night! Better than expected and that bit is just legendary!

Yeah the movie was pretty full on. Apparently the speech is called 'Ballad of the Frogmen'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Should be legal or at the very least decriminalised. US will make the lead in the next few years and others will follow but Ireland will be very far behind , could be a long time before they actually do something on it here.

I don't smoke it anymore , don't want to deal with dealers and their crap weed. I'd grow my own if I didn't fear a record for 4 plants and that would be me for a long time and I'd have quality smoke and no hassle from scumbags.

I think even in Spain you can grow 1/2 plants for personal use. I don't know what would happen if you were caught with 2/3 plants in Ireland , don't think you'd be jailed probably community service or a suspended sentence but even that is ridiculas.

People over 18/21 who work hard and want to have a smoke on the weekend by themselves, on their own property should be allowed to easy as that. No matter what people say alcohol is a much more dangerous drug that weed and it's as much as a gateway drug as well. I love a drink but it leads to live long addication and death's that's a fact, have a joint your most likely to flake out and watch a movie, maybe order some food not go nuts and fight someone or ring your ex at 3am balling your eyes out =)

Logic needs to prevail eventually, didn't the UK de-class it a few years back and then take the strange decision to reverse. Countries are toying with the idea, I'd imagine in court it's becoming as much as a joke as being brought there for the TV licence inspector unless of course your hauled in over large scale dealing that's differant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I think the state of Colorado has shown that there's money to be made and the horrible things that some people predicted would happen like growth in crime, etc. couldn't have been further from the truth with the murder rate dropping since legalising it.

The profit part of the whole thing is what may sway the Governments opinion on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I really hope it's never legalised. People who smoke it should be filmed and should have the film played back to them when they're not stoned to show them just how tediously boring and obnoxious they are when they're stoned. It's not cool listening to some stoner who's off their face and rambling on about crap. Grow up ffs.

I really hope it's never legalised. People who smoke it should be filmed and should have the film played back to them when they're not stoned to show them just how tediously boring and obnoxious they are when they're stoned. It's not cool listening to some stoner who's off their face and rambling on about crap. Grow up ffs.

Yes of course, listening to the ramblings of drunk people is so much less annoying or abusive...Thanks for your mature and well guided input.

• Advertisement

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Yes of course, listening to the ramblings of drunk people is so much less annoying or abusive...Thanks for your mature and well guided input.

I don't like listening to drunks any more than I like listening to people who are stoned. I can avoid listening to drunks by not going to bars, if dope is legalised I'll be forced to listen to stoned morons in cafes and in public areas. It's even more pathetic in people who are over 30, it looks incredibly juvenile and pathetic, buy hey don't worry, just kill a few more brain cells and bore the arse off more people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I can avoid listening to drunks by not going to bars, if dope is legalised I'll be forced to listen to stoned morons in cafes and in public areas.

Don't know if I've ever been woken at 3 a.m. by a stoner shouting outside my window as they stumble their way home, but I've certainly been woken by plenty of drunks.

I don't like listening to drunks any more than I like listening to people who are stoned. I can avoid listening to drunks by not going to bars, if dope is legalised I'll be forced to listen to stoned morons in cafes and in public areas. It's even more pathetic in people who are over 30, it looks incredibly juvenile and pathetic, buy hey don't worry, just kill a few more brain cells and bore the arse off more people.

Well by the sounds of it I wouldn't say they like listening to you either.

Smoking it in your 30's is pathetic?? I'll tell you what's pathetic your closed off and judgemental attitude. De-criminalising it won't mean people walking around smoking it in your face it will mean if they choose to smoke it in a dedicated cafe or in their own home they won't face jail.

You can plodder on with your own life and avoid human contact if it makes you happier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

How about criminalising the type of person that loves to hang around drunk/stoned people while sober and tell them the next day how boring they were?

How about criminalising the type of person that loves to hang around drunk/stoned people while sober and tell them the next day how boring they were?
    I avoid both, just looking at some of the posts on this thread reminds me why:D

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Well by the sounds of it I wouldn't say they like listening to you either.

Smoking it in your 30's is pathetic?? I'll tell you what's pathetic your closed off and judgemental attitude. De-criminalising it won't mean people walking around smoking it in your face it will mean if they choose to smoke it in a dedicated cafe or in their own home they won't face jail.

You can plodder on with your own life and avoid human contact if it makes you happier.
    Yeah man:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

I think habitual cannabis smokers are complete losers to be honest. It's a dirty, miserable drug. The only people who think regular use doesn't have any consequences on quality of life, appearance and mental health are those toking on a bong. That said, I don't think keeping it illegal serves any purpose. Bring in controls, let them grow and harvest their own plants and whittle away their own lives in a cloud of putrid smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

They tried this already several times.......HalfBaked,Cheech & Chong etc.......

Funny as **** and not tedious or obnoxious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

I think habitual cannabis smokers are complete losers to be honest. It's a dirty, miserable drug. The only people who think regular use doesn't have any consequences on quality of life, appearance and mental health are those toking on a bong.
    While I'd agree that chronic use of weed isn't the best for most people, the habitual cannabis users I know would be attractive, clean-cut guys in their early twenties. I can guarantee you wouldn't be able pick them out in a crowd; certainly now based on the ridiculous Reaganesque caricatures you seem to have in mind. The majority of people tend to grow out of it as well. It's a thing quite a large number of blokes go through in their youth - though I doubt that's something you realise - and most of them come out fine on the other side.

• Advertisement

I think habitual cannabis smokers are complete losers to be honest. It's a dirty, miserable drug. The only people who think regular use doesn't have any consequences on quality of life, appearance and mental health are those toking on a bong. That said, I don't think keeping it illegal serves any purpose. Bring in controls, let them grow and harvest their own plants and whittle away their own lives in a cloud of putrid smoke.

You do have a point here , but the word habitual is key. I know a few people one guy in particular who smokes it 24/7 , used to be smart, funny , good looking lad...he's ****ed now in his mid twenties, can barely string a sentance together and looks way older than he should no doubt this is down to his mis-use of cannabis.

B: I know people who smoked for years and stopped and are fine now, I know people who work high end jobs and raise families but toke the odd time on the weekend instead of drinking , they are also fine.

C: I came from a family of habitual acholics and I could descripe mis-using that as a dirty miserable drug as well, ruins lives , sunken drunken faces every evenings , dirty clothes , cans all over the living room floor , buying cans instead of actual food , missing work , sneaking off to the pub when in work, fighting each other in gardens/on the street , gardai calling over every second week , robbing people , having their teeth knocked out etc etc

Too much habitual use of anything is a problem , even spray tan , or drinking too much coke. But used in moderation there isn't much of a problem for a well adjusted adult to make a decision on it himself.

Advertisement