Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Glasgow

Options
  • 14-06-2014 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I am moving over to glasgow to study at the university of glasgow. If anyone is over there could you give me some tips on how you moved over? did u book into a hostel for a few nights and house hunt? it will be essential that i get a job very soon moving over.. is the job prospects better than here?
    any advise is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭d_jordan

I pretty much just booked a flight and moved over. I had no accomodation booked or job lined up and knew noone. I was lucky enough that I seen an ad on gumtree that was looking for someone to pay rent in their room for a few weeks while they were away, so I just called when I arrived and met the landlady and stayed there for two weeks while I looked for a permanent place.

Job wise there's loads of direct sales jobs if you want to work on commission but seen that your looking to study you could probably get a job in somewhere like whetherspoons that might suit you better. There's also alot of security jobs now due to the commonwealth games.

If you have any more questions just let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

get a bed at the YHA in glasgow, walk along Byres road, Woodlands road, Hyndland road, Great Western road and Dumbarton road - you'll see hundreds of flat/houseshares advertised in shop windows.

if you fancy things a bit cheaper, but still nice and almost west-endy, take a walk down Pollokshaws road in Shawlands, you'll see the same kind of thing.

commonwealth games - end of july, begining of august - will screw up accomodation.

my advice is two-fold, for your first year stay in the west end, and when you're looking for a couple of nights accomodation, avoid the Blue Sky hostel in Berkely Street. unless you like fleas, being propositioned, and noise.

its a fantastic city, i'm not jealous at all.

Advertisement