Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help -No signal; no channels; no Saorview Box.

• 14-06-2014 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

We have 2 TV's and from Thursday morning after 6:00 am we can't get any channels on either.

I don't think it's a problem with either TV as one is new and is definitely Saorview approved.

We were with UPC and cancelled our contract with them as it was too expensive last February.

We waited until changeover to see if we needed a saorview box but we didn't need to as we could get about 12 channels.

Now this has stopped - just before the World Cup was due to start!

Does anyone know why this is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Did you add a TV aerial?

I'm guessing your TVs picked up UPC's unencrypted analogue channels and then on Thursday morning they disconnected the cable outside.

Depending on location you need Indoor, attic or outdoor aerial.

See
    http://www.saortv.info/terrestrial-saorview/installing-tv-aerial/

Don't spend extra on amplified indoor aerial, or buy a "Rabbits ear" type or spend more than €15 on an indoor aerial to test.

An indoor aerial of the multi-rod pictured in link will often work much better in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BG2

Toisin wrote: »
    We have 2 TV's and from Thursday morning after 6:00 am we can't get any channels on either.

I don't think it's a problem with either TV as one is new and is definitely Saorview approved.

We were with UPC and cancelled our contract with them as it was too expensive last February.

We waited until changeover to see if we needed a saorview box but we didn't need to as we could get about 12 channels.

Now this has stopped - just before the World Cup was due to start!

They've disconnected you. You will need an aerial. This is only my own experience with an indoor aerial. I know when I was researching a lot of people suggested that the indoor aerials wouldn't work [for a lot of people] but we have perfect picture quality [without any freezing or pixelating]. I got [digital - although there is no such thing] rabbit ears from PC World or Argos [god forbid],for €20 something euro [although this was clearly a rip off]. That was the route I took and that was the route that worked for me. We are in a basement flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Indoor aerials work in about 10% of locations and €20 is a rip off.

No-one has ever claimed they don't work at all. They just won't work for the majority.

PC World, Tesco and Argos are very bad places to buy any kind of Aerial, indoor or otherwise.

as well as Saortv.info link see
    http://www.techtir.ie/radio-tv/uhf-aerials

These are €6 to €15 Euro and superior to some sold at €60+
    indoor.png
    indoor2.png
    indoor3.png

Do not buy one with two telescopic rods, i.e. Rabbit's ear type as they are for VHF. All Irish TV is now UHF., if there is a loop as well as the "rabbit's ears" then that is the totally feeble UHF TV aerial. (Dealz has a rubbish VHF-FM/DAB aerial for sale as a TV aerial). Some "rabbits ear" €2 aerials are so badly made the cut off cable works better!

Also look at "quality meter" under Receiver Information not what Picture looks like or "Signal" to decide on "Picture Quality". The Picture can look perfect with digital and a small change then it breaks up, pixellates or freezes if "Quality Meter" bar isn't high enough.

There is also no such thing as a "Digital" aerial. That is a marketing lie. There are VHF Aerials, UHF Aerials and combo VHF/UHF Aerials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Toisin wrote: »

Were these the channels you had - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88414136&postcount=15

Switching to Saorview info here - http://www.saorview.ie/get-saorview/make-the-switch/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Toisin

Thanks guys.

@The Cush

Yes they were all the channels we had (on one TV anyway).

Will try with an aerial and see what happens.

I tried ringing people and was told by one company that only 8 channels were available from Saorview. Also for just 300 Euros I could be connected with a satellite dish and get 100 channels?

Is this good value?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Yes eight channels (TV) and nine on radio from Saorview. If you can have a satellite dish installed you could get a contract from SKY and free installation if you are a new customer. The alternative is a Freesat installation or free to air installation. Prices for supply and install vary - shop around. Cheapest is not necessarily best.

Advertisement