Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New track "People"

• 14-06-2014 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

https://soundcloud.com/m-a-whelan/people

Would appreciate any feedback on the mix. I changed my mixing approach slightly... started with subtractive EQ, then compressors, then EQ. All effects are bussed. I think this is a cleaner mix than my previous ones, but I think it might lack a bit of punch overall.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭fitz

Too much high end in this one, Mark.
    Clarity will come from cleaning up the mids more than adding top to make things heard or to cut through.
    It's quite brittle sounding to me in general.
    Specifically, the snare sounds wrong for the song...
    I'd be looking at a lower tuning, more of a squishy thump kind of sound than the higher pitch crack of the one you're using.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

fitz wrote: »
    Too much high end in this one, Mark.
    Clarity will come from cleaning up the mids more than adding top to make things heard or to cut through.
    It's quite brittle sounding to me in general.
    Specifically, the snare sounds wrong for the song...
    I'd be looking at a lower tuning, more of a squishy thump kind of sound than the higher pitch crack of the one you're using.

Cheers Tony. Overall, I think it needs a bit more punch. I haven't boosted any high end. For the first time (for me) almost all of the EQing was subtractive. That would explain the harsh sounding snare (the one I use is actually one of the beefier Superior Drummer snares).

Overall, maybe I just cut the mids & lows a bit too much. Very hard to judge properly in a room that doesn't have proper acoustic treatment.

How does the overall vox/instrument balance?

If you've pulled a heap of mid/bottom, it'll have the same effect on the mix as adding top.
    Hard to judge mix balance when the overall mix sounds thin...it's affecting the tone of everything, but the snare was the thing that jumped out most.

As I said though, the problem with the snare is as much about the pitch...I reckon a much lower tuned snare sound would fit the arrangement a lot better.

Here's a remixed version. I started the whole thing from scratch. I scaled back the EQ cuts & made a lot more use of busses to control the instrument balance. For the first time, I also used compression, a limiter & a widening plug-in on the master fader. I've never really had plug-ins on the master fader before. It's made a huge difference. The whole mix sounds bigger.

https://soundcloud.com/mark_whelan/people

Much better Mark.
    Vocal is a little dull, maybe cut somewhere around 300, see if you can get it sounding slightly less muddy...

• Advertisement

fitz wrote: »
    Much better Mark.
    Vocal is a little dull, maybe cut somewhere around 300, see if you can get it sounding slightly less muddy...

Thanks Tony,
    There's one or two very minor tweaks I want to make, so I'll take a look at that EQ cut for the vox.

Advertisement