Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Evolution of Feet.

• 14-06-2014 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭

Evolution gets rid of things we don't use so will the foot evolve into a toeless shoe shaped object.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

no, no it won't.

I hope not.....we'd have nothing to give stupid thread starters in the hole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Thats not how evolution works. Thats like saying will evolution get rid of the tips of our ears and fuse it into the sides of our heads. We dont use the tips of our ears, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

19543261 wrote: »
    Thats not how evolution works. Thats like saying will evolution get rid of the tips of our ears and fuse it into the sides of our heads. We dont use the tips of our ears, right?

Ears are for catching sound,they're supposed to stick out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

If enough successive skanger generations shoot up heroin, the foot will evolve into an oversized Airmax runner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

kneemos wrote: »
    Evolution gets rid of things we don't use so will the foot evolve into a toeless shoe shaped object.

You must have a really funny walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

You can't balance great without your big toe

http://www.ask.com/question/can-you-walk-without-your-big-toe

So it's being used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

The human being is still born with an appendix.

They're pretty much useless. That's evolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Maybe, if God decides so.

The appendix is what's left of the original organ afaik,so it's in the process of getting rid of it.

• Advertisement

The appendix is what's left of the original organ afaik,so it's in the process of getting rid of it.

Evolution has no plan. It's not in the process of anything.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Feet are actually very well evolved for bipedal locomotion. Certainly given the non bipedal back foot it had to evolve from. They're so well evolved and suited for purpose that they haven't changed much if at all in many millions of years. The Laetoli footprints found in Tanzania were left by a non direct line hominid Australopithecus(well there's some debate there) nearly 4 million years ago and they look just like our feet. However the rest of the Australopithecus skeleton has much more primitive features compared to us. The arms, shoulder, hands, body shape and a few other things are much more "apelike". Feet were one of the things that came first with us as a people. Brains and more modern hands and all that came after. So spare a thought for those feet of yours. They're pretty impressive and have a very deep history going all the way back to the dawn of humanity

Well, kinda. There is some debate over the continued purpose of the organ. It may have some immune system purpose.

AH answer. If you get athletes foot, blast it with piss.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

When I wear shoes. my toes aren't just dead weight. They still play a role in helping me walk, with distributing my weight.

Even if they're useless, that still makes their presence neutral. Something would have to be actively harmful for there to be evolutionary pressure against it. My appendix could have killed me when I was 12, but I'm still in a minority. There is some evidence that the appendix does do some good, by storing some "good bacteria", which then re-populate the gut after a bout of diarrhoea.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

"Toeless shoe object" - eh I hope not! I spent the last half an hour painting my toes :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Meh,

I can be very lazy, toes are great for picking up clothes off the ground rather than sending hands all the way down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Father Bigley

Evolution most certainly does not do that. In fact your body is full of anatomical structures that perform very limited or even no functions for a modern human. They are vestiges from an ancestral species, hence they are called vestigial structures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

We need the toes for balance but do we need the toenails? In 2 weeks time, I've to get two ingrown toenails removed, from each of my big toes. I got one removed 10 years ago so there was a bit of limping around, but how do you limp if both feet are operated on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Bring back the tails.
    Girls would look so much hotter with tails and we could just hang around trees and throw our faeces at each other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Feet? Obsolete.

Meters are where it's at yo.

czechlin wrote: »
    "Toeless shoe object" - eh I hope not! I spent the last half an hour painting my toes :pac:

I love painted toes. Long life toes!

Also, how are we to judge the rise on the front of the shoe if we don't have toe cleavage?

Too much toe cleavage:
    http://stylesizzle.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/toe-cleavage.jpg

Ideal toe cleavage:
    http://media2.onsugar.com/files/2014/05/27/893/n/1922564/77f1be177bce6649_483196731.xxxlarge_2x/i/Show-Some-Toe-Cleavage.jpg

Important stuff this.

• Advertisement

They wouldn't smell nearly as bad without toes,drying would be much easier too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

3014:
    "Heaaaaaaaaads, shoulders, knees and.... aww"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Tardful Slakerly II

It's a reservoir for bacteria. When someone heaves up their insides their gut flora (which is important for health) is restored via the appendix.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

with us short feet would be better for walking and longer ones for running fast so we are inbetweeners , for distance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Wibbs wrote: »
    Feet are actually very well evolved for bipedal locomotion. Certainly given the non bipedal back foot it had to evolve from. They're so well evolved and suited for purpose that they haven't changed much if at all in many millions of years. The Laetoli footprints found in Tanzania were left by a non direct line hominid Australopithecus(well there's some debate there) nearly 4 million years ago and they look just like our feet. However the rest of the Australopithecus skeleton has much more primitive features compared to us. The arms, shoulder, hands, body shape and a few other things are much more "apelike". Feet were one of the things that came first with us as a people. Brains and more modern hands and all that came after. So spare a thought for those feet of yours. They're pretty impressive and have a very deep history going all the way back to the dawn of humanity

Well, kinda. There is some debate over the continued purpose of the organ. It may have some immune system purpose.

AH answer. If you get athletes foot, blast it with piss.

Don't you start with your 4 million years ago , everyone knows we're only 2000 years old.

Don't you start with your 4 million years ago , everyone knows we're only 2000 6000 years old.

Get it right wud ya!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

We need the toes for balance but do we need the toenails? In 2 weeks time, I've to get two ingrown toenails removed, from each of my big toes. I got one removed 10 years ago so there was a bit of limping around, but how do you limp if both feet are operated on?

I imagine nails are a function of supporting skin on an extremity, like a clip.

Wait, that just gave me a really weird image of a mutated penis.

Overheal wrote: »
    I imagine nails are a function of supporting skin on an extremity, like a clip.

It is sad to see such vanity. Who are you to say you know the mind of God?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

catallus wrote: »
    Get it right wud ya!?
    6004. Get it right for feck sake. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    6004. Get it right for feck sake. :D

6014 pfft and you a Mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Candie wrote: »
    I love painted toes. Long life toes!

Also, how are we to judge the rise on the front of the shoe if we don't have toe cleavage?

Too much toe cleavage:
    http://stylesizzle.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/toe-cleavage.jpg

Ideal toe cleavage:
    http://media2.onsugar.com/files/2014/05/27/893/n/1922564/77f1be177bce6649_483196731.xxxlarge_2x/i/Show-Some-Toe-Cleavage.jpg

Important stuff this.

That woman looks terrible in those shoes, I cannot see anything elegant or graceful about them, regardless of how much cleavage they show.:(

For anyone who is interested:

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/cutting/ageuniv.htm

A very interesting synopsis of the history of estimating the age of the universe.

As for evolution, it is patent nonsense. Everyone knows Jesus made the animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

catallus wrote: »
    Maybe, if God decides so.

Yes, because the big all-powerful invisible guy in the sky can do that. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

looksee wrote: »
    That woman looks terrible in those shoes, I cannot see anything elegant or graceful about them, regardless of how much cleavage they show.:(

+1

Stiletto's no matter how classy the woman is or how well the woman in question can actually locamote in them, have, do and always will conjure up images in my head of drunken young ones dressed like slappers walking bandy legged down the street.

Some nice flat sole slip ons??

Conjure up images in my head of a french au pair wearing capris skipping down the lane towards me with beads of sweat glistening in the cleft between her bronzed golden bouncing breasts...... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

Bring back the tails.
    Girls would look so much hotter with tails and we could just hang around trees and throw our faeces at each other

Tail would just get in the way when having sex. It's bad enough when the guy momentarily ends up on my hair.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »

Don't focus on the shoes, focus on the toe cleavage.

Stilettos are the work of the devil. Especially if you have wooden floors.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

6014 pfft and you a Mod.
    "I deduce that the time from the creation until midnight, January 1, 1 AD was 4003 years, seventy days and six hours."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

You can't balance great without your big toe

http://www.ask.com/question/can-you-walk-without-your-big-toe

So it's being used

Ears are also used for balancing funnily enough

Since we are on the subject my toes are very long like 2inches plus. My third one is the biggest. It and the second one have knuckles like fingers.

Anyone else have these or am I totally alone with my weird toes?

Since we are on the subject my toes are very long like 2inches plus. My third one is the biggest. It and the second one have knuckles like fingers.

Anyone else have these or am I totally alone with my weird toes?

You're all alone in the world with that. Singular. Uniquely strange-footed.

Weirdo.:)

• Advertisement

Ears are also used for balancing funnily enough

As are stabilisers.

As are stabilisers.

So ditch the toes and ears and get a set of stabilisers you reckon?

So ditch the toes and ears and get a set of stabilisers you reckon?

Dont be silly , everyone knows ears are for keeping sunglasses on heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

One of my friends was born with webbed feet, she has a tattoo of a tiny scissors and cut lines on one of them.

I also know a person with webbed toes. Pure evil, he is. We tried to burn him when we were young lads, but our parents told us to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Evolution doesn't just happen to the entire human population at once. What happens is one person might be born with a bizarre mutation that alters the shape of their foot, and they'd have to make a lot of babies in order to become the 'common ancestor' for all the billions of people in the future.

Also, humans once adapted to suit their environment but now we adapt the environment to suit us. Evolution will pan out differently for us as long as we continue to farm (not hunt), build shelter from the environment and cure the illnesses that used to thin our populations. Without any major natural selection going on, we're not going to change drastically.

Evolution doesn't just happen to the entire human population at once. What happens is one person might be born with a bizarre mutation that alters the shape of their foot, and they'd have to make a lot of babies in order to become the 'common ancestor' for all the billions of people in the future.

Also, humans once adapted to suit their environment but now we adapt the environment to suit us. Evolution will pan out differently for us as long as we continue to farm (not hunt), build shelter from the environment and cure the illnesses that used to thin our populations. Without any major natural selection going on, we're not going to change drastically.

Obesity could lead to rapid changes presumably.

Obesity could lead to rapid changes presumably.

Why?

Why?

Speculating.

If you red ur bible you wouldn't need to be doing any ungodly speculating!

• Advertisement
Advertisement