Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bumble Bees in Eaves of House

Options
  • 14-06-2014 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hope it is ok to put this thread here.

We have a bee hive in the eaves of the house just above the main bedroom window. Every time we open the window bees are coming in. We can see the bees going in and out to the hive through a hole in the wood. We can't see the actual hive.

Has anyone had to deal with this before and if so what did you do? I presume we will have to contact a specialized company but I am wondering how they would get at the hive. It is a two storey house.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭LizzyBennet

I had this 2 years ago just got a guy out to smoke them out no idea what they use chemical wise but it worked and they never came back

I had this 2 years ago just got a guy out to smoke them out no idea what they use chemical wise but it worked and they never came back

We had same problem. Smoked them out and blocked hole. Next year, the ceiling started to discolour. It was the honey seeping through! . It seemed to melt when the attic heated up in the sun! Had to get a small person in with a bucket and shovel and get all hive out. It was some mess!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

There are professional services that will deal with the removal of a hive - quick google in your area should bring up options.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Bees are getting rarer so get onto a company to remove the hive but not kill it. The various beekeepers associations always love to get a hive of unwanted bees.

Edit: Bumble bees only have a 'hive' of about 20 - 30 bees I think so you probably have honeybees.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

yeah just rang the Louth branch of the Irish Beekeepers association and the guy was delighted that I want someone to take the bees away from outside the door of our office...www.irishbeekeeping.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

You need to get it done asap. If you wait any longer they will build up a huge amount of honey.

Advertisement