Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jobs in Hindsight

• 14-06-2014 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭

About 2005/2006 I used to work in the kitchen of a fairly high profile hotel in Dublin City Centre. Nothing fancy, just kitchen duties, dishes, cleaning tables, stock, deliveries etc. Pay was pants maybe 25c above min wage of that time. Work was hard but everyone was great fun and sound as hell. Plus free food (ie sendbacks) which somewhat supplemented the wages thing. Usually finished early in the day too (just after the lunch hours about 3pm). All in all I enjoyed it. After about 6 months a job with better money and walking distance came up which I took. Since then I have worked other jobs and been in my current job about 7 years. But lately I found myself missing the job in the hotel kitchen.

Has anyone else ever left a job of their own volition only to realize down the line that they actually miss that job. If so have you ever gone back annd/or been taken back by that employer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Better off looking around Ballsbridge for work. Jobs in Hindight seem to be non-existent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

Gannicus wrote: »
    About 2005/2006 I used to work in the kitchen of a fairly high profile hotel in Dublin City Centre. Nothing fancy, just kitchen duties, dishes, cleaning table cleaning stock, deliveries etc. Pay was pants maybe 25c above min wage of that time. Work was hard but everyone was great fun and sound as hell. Plus free food (ie sendbacks) which somewhat supplemented the wages thing. Usually finished early in the day too (just after the lunch hours about 3pm). All in all I enjoyed it. After about 6 months a job with better money and walking distance came up which I took. Since then I have worked other jobs and been in my current job about 7 years. But lately I found myself missing the job in the hotel kitchen.

Has anyone else ever left a job of their own volition only to realize down the line that they actually miss that job. If so have you ever gone back annd/or been taken back by that employer?

Hi Gannicus,

I feel for you bro having worked in a few hotels myself.

I often miss the days where my chief concern was to move one pile of towels to the laundry.

Also there are some perks to being at a hotel. As you mentioned you never go hungry, plus you can stay in hotel accommodation. Budgeting was SO Much easier when they just deducted £70 a week for bed and board from your wages then gave you the rest - you can't overspend!

I'm 29 now and have had around twenty different jobs, I'd always go back to hotel work if necessary as you can pick it up fairly quickly and there's lots of fun to be had, even if the money isn't too great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

callaway92 wrote: »
    Better off looking around Ballsbridge for work. Jobs in Hindight seem to be non-existent.

Shít typo. fixed it now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Hi Gannicus,

I feel for you bro having worked in a few hotels myself.

I often miss the days where my chief concern was to move one pile of towels to the laundry.

Also there are some perks to being at a hotel. As you mentioned you never go hungry, plus you can stay in hotel accommodation. Budgeting was SO Much easier when they just deducted £70 a week for bed and board from your wages then gave you the rest - you can't overspend!

I'm 29 now and have had around twenty different jobs, I'd always go back to hotel work if necessary as you can pick it up fairly quickly and there's lots of fun to be had, even if the money isn't too great.

I know. We had some great fun in the hotel.

Advertisement