Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace faulty Aritech magnetic sensor

Options
  • 14-06-2014 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi All,

Firstly, many thanks to KoolKid and altor for your previous posts which have helped me diagnose the faulty sensor that has been triggering my home alarm for the past couple of nights.

The wires in the faulty magnetic sensor are sealed with a sort of a hard glue, I can see four wires (red/black/yellow/blue) from the sensor that connect it to a little junction box above it.

I have purchased a replacement magnetic sensor. The new sensor has screw contacts sectioned in two groups. Holding it horizontal, the screws are as follows:
    brass | steel | brass| empty | steel | brass

But am not sure about how to wire it and I thought I would ask for your help.

Also, can I simply clip the wires from the sensor and fix them in the new one?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

In most cases this will work.
    Using the 4 colours snipped form the prewired contact strip and join together black and blue using any one of the brass screws.
    Connect the red and yellow to each of the silver screws.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

tintar wrote: »
    Hi All,

Firstly, many thanks to KoolKid and altor for your previous posts which have helped me diagnose the faulty sensor that has been triggering my home alarm for the past couple of nights.

The wires in the faulty magnetic sensor are sealed with a sort of a hard glue, I can see four wires (red/black/yellow/blue) from the sensor that connect it to a little junction box above it.

I have purchased a replacement magnetic sensor. The new sensor has screw contacts sectioned in two groups. Holding it horizontal, the screws are as follows:
    brass | steel | brass| empty | steel | brass

But am not sure about how to wire it and I thought I would ask for your help.

Also, can I simply clip the wires from the sensor and fix them in the new one?

Thanks.

Once there is enough cable to allow you connect the sensor to the cable there should be no problem.
    If you dont think there is you should bring the new one back and get a prewired contact like what is on your window.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭tintar

Thank you KoolKid.

I have some questions so that I'm better informed before starting work:

1. Could you please clarify this - the black & blue wires are simply connected together onto any of the the brass screws in the new sensor? What are these wires for?

2. Will snipping the old sensor off trigger an alarm?

Based on the pictures in the Aritech manuals I found online it looks like a CS 250, but I don't have the engineer code. I haven't yet tried the factory default code (1278) you had posted in another thread (I wasn't sure in which sub-menu I should enter it).

KoolKid wrote: »
    In most cases this will work.
    Using the 4 colours snipped form the prewired contact strip and join together black and blue using any one of the brass screws.
    Connect the red and yellow to each of the silver screws.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭tintar

Thanks altor.

The shop didn't have a prewired sensor. The cable length should just about be enough. If it isn't, I could open the little junction box, and replace the cable.

Will the system detect opening the junction box as tampering and trigger an alarm? Would the usual code (non engineer) be enough to stop this alarm?

altor wrote: »
    Once there is enough cable to allow you connect the sensor to the cable there should be no problem.
    If you dont think there is you should bring the new one back and get a prewired contact like what is on your window.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If the tampers are wired correctly the alarm will activate when you open the junction box or sensor. Your normal alarm code will disarm a tamper alarm

• Advertisement
Advertisement