Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Train vs Bus

• 14-06-2014 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭

If you had to take one for a journey?

Always train.
    1) bar
    2) bathroom
    3) no traffic

Have met others who will never ever use the train & always take the bus ( with option of both)

How about you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Bus is better on the roads.

Train on the railway lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Too many variables to decide. How long is the distance and how many people will be on the train/bus? What type of train/bus is it? etc etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If I have the choice, then always the train. I get carsick, especially if it's rush hour stop/start traffic with added exhaust fumes. A big coach on a motorway is smoother, but still not as smooth as the train.

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

In Dublin, always the train. If I'm going up North, I prefer the train, but coach is often cheaper, more often, and closer to me so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Train, because I don't want to be a bus wanker

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Train is mental expensive though, bus is cheap, and those private companies lay on a grand and comfy bus - resulting in Bus Éireann upping its game too.
    There's direct buses too, so no need for stopping in every little village. And roads are obviously better than ever.

And much smaller chance on the bus of c_nts getting bladdered drunk and being loud and annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

Always pick train. I hate buses..smelly smelly crowded things

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Train definitely, especially if it's a long journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Train, because I don't want to be a bus wanker

You'd be a train wanker though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

A train is always a train, but a bus wanker will always be a bus wanker.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 KevinSquires

The unions and their continuous demands for wage hikes have rendered the train too expensive for most of the population. Only the free travel pass golden ticket holders get to enjoy our country's railways. Irish Rail is a closed jobs club, not a national railway company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Zed Bank

I have a terrible fear of being caught off guard on a bus on a really long journey and ending up pissing myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Train. The only benefit of the bus is that I tend to live closer to a bus stop than I do to a train station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Dublin to Nenagh return by train is 40 euro

Same journey by Bus Eireann is 15 euro

Train is faster but it's not worth that price!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I got the train today and a really smelly man and woman sat across from me. So disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

If you're getting the bus to the centre of Dublin too, it'll drop you there, as opposed to Heuston/Connolly. Well Connolly isn't so bad, but Heuston is a good bit out.

Magaggie wrote: »
    If you're getting the bus to the centre of Dublin too, it'll drop you there, as opposed to Heuston/Connolly. Well Connolly isn't so bad, but Heuston is a good bit out.

It's only 5 minutes in on the luas which is right outside the door

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭FreshKnickers

Now I like buses... But I also like the train. So which is better?

There's only one way to find out!

Now I like buses... But I also like the train. So which is better?

There's only one way to find out!

Is that from TV burp thing? God I hate that part of the show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Zed Bank wrote: »
    I have a terrible fear of being caught off guard on a bus on a really long journey and ending up pissing myself.

Oh worse..... Pooing yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Well, this thread is typical AH quality. So I'll put in the same sort of answer. The train is good value from Heuston Station to Kildare, at 14 euro adult day return. Neat if you like to visit the likes of Kildare village.
    mmmmmm. I'm a man. I've been in Kildare village. mmmnnn. told you so.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Always train.
    1) bar
    2) bathroom
    3) no traffic

Jaysus! Irish Rail have gone upmarket! The trains always had toilets, but now BATHROOMS?! You can luxuriate in a bubbly radox bath while on the Cork express? Wow, trains all the way! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I once had this arguement with a friend.

Train or bus from limerick to Dublin?

If you book the train online it costs 20 return, same as the bus

Train for me, you can have a table and charge your phone and play football manager on your laptop.

And not be depressed by all the cars overtaking you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Its all good and well having a bar on a train journey that only lasts an hour, but it is also relatively pointless, and hikes the price of the journey up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Jaysus! Irish Rail have gone upmarket! The trains always had toilets, but now BATHROOMS?! You can luxuriate in a bubbly radox bath while on the Cork express? Wow, trains all the way! :D:D

Im moving over to Scotland soon and there's a train with cabins and its like a hotel with beds and bathrooms with showers.

Sounds deadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

desultory wrote: »
    It's only 5 minutes in on the luas which is right outside the door

Yeah, but then you have to run the gauntlet of cheery locals offering to show you how ta uuuuuse da ma-she-annn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Magaggie wrote: »
    Train is mental expensive though, bus is cheap, and those private companies lay on a grand and comfy bus - resulting in Bus Éireann upping its game too.
    There's direct buses too, so no need for stopping in every little village. And roads are obviously better than ever.

And much smaller chance on the bus of c_nts getting bladdered drunk and being loud and annoying.

'Cheap' being relative though.

I used to take Dublin bus into work and it cost as much as the last vehicle I owned. I mean, that's pretty expensive in my book.

Train all the way for me, I find buses to be too cramped.

Another reason is that I regularly visit Kerry and the train is still faster than the bus for the trip I usually do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Train from Mayo is cheaper than the bus in my case. Lots of drunk people though because a lot of people go to hens/stags in Westport. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

There is something therapeutic about sitting in a dark bus at night watching the countryside roll past. You don't get that on a train as the carriages are lit artificially with a harsh light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Train ... although its in NL so its a decent service :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Depends. Sometimes the train is far slower and more prone to delays, most of the time it's far more expensive. And lack of route options. I was going from Galway to Cork, train isn't much use unless I wanted to go via dublin.
    But train generally is nicer, easier to get up and walk around, usually more room and quieter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

I take the train if I can and the bus if I cannot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Train hands down. Having a toilet is a major plus and making friends with old people :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

UCDVet wrote: »
    'Cheap' being relative though.

I used to take Dublin bus into work and it cost as much as the last vehicle I owned. I mean, that's pretty expensive in my book.

But the discussion is bus V train, not bus V car.

For longer journeys, I'd usually go for the train but the routes don't always suit. For shorter journeys, like Kildare to Dublin, I'd nearly always get the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I find the train much more relaxing and comfortable than the bus,at least until every second passenger buys and opens a bag of King crisps, filling the carriage with eau de cheese and onion :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,244 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

The unions and their continuous demands for wage hikes have rendered the train too expensive for most of the population.

wrong, the tiny subsidy that keeps getting cut when the company makes savings wiping out the savings is what makes the train expensive, fact is to pay for public transport either the user pays or a subsidy is payed, as to which it should be, thats a debate for another thread.
    Only the free travel pass golden ticket holders get to enjoy our country's railways.

some will others will take the bus, if you think its only free travel pass holders on the train your very delusianel.
    Irish Rail is a closed jobs club, not a national railway company.

last i heard they were on the embargo so can't take on staff, so of course that will make them a closed operation, not a jobs club, but a national railway company.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

gg2 wrote: »
    Train hands down. Having a toilet is a major plus and making friends with old people :-)

You go into the jacks with old people on trains?

cloud493 wrote: »
    Its all good and well having a bar on a train journey that only lasts an hour, but it is also relatively pointless, and hikes the price of the journey up.

it could be worse, you could be a passenger of the rosslare line where bone shaker commuter trains will turn up a good bit

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement

cloud493 wrote: »

It actually doesn't hike up the price of the journey. The catering service is run by a private company, not Irish Rail.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Depends. Sometimes the train is far slower and more prone to delays, most of the time it's far more expensive. And lack of route options. I was going from Galway to Cork, train isn't much use unless I wanted to go via dublin.
    But train generally is nicer, easier to get up and walk around, usually more room and quieter.

that journey can be made by train without having to go to dublin, its rather long and slow though i believe, galway to limerick, to limerick junction, to cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

it could be worse, you could be a passenger of the rosslare line where bone shaker commuter trains will turn up a good bit
    The one at half 6 on Friday is always full of junkies and ex prisoners going to Gorey as well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The one at half 6 on Friday is always full of junkies and ex prisoners going to Gorey as well

What's the attraction in Gorey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

spurious wrote: »
    What's the attraction in Gorey?
    I have no idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Limerick to Cork always a bus over a train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Karsini wrote: »
    It actually doesn't hike up the price of the journey. The catering service is run by a private company, not Irish Rail.

I'd say the poster meant that it'd hike the cost of your journey since you'd be paying for overpriced drinks that you wouldn't be tempted by on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

I would ask Superman that question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

Train all day every day. The only way to travel on ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I have to get the goddamn bus as it leaves me closer to work/college. I hate everything about the bus. From its stupid time boards and its equally mostly inept driving force who feel that they're doing the public a favour. I get Dublin Bus as you can see. If some people want to blab to me I'm wrong then I don't care I get the bus 12 times a week and will be the first to say it is a joke of a service and a farce how they can't run such an easy service in what is a relatively small area. The dart for the most part is lovely with mostly clean cut nice people and a great view of the coast line. Yet again though their "delays" are a joke. How about some forecasting about future problems or some foresight to how to run a public line in times of busy times. Both are a joke but the train wins by miles.

• Advertisement
Advertisement