Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No amps on one phase

Options
  • 14-06-2014 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

3 phase motor Star connected. Phase 1 is taking 0.7 of an Amp, phase 2 the same and the 3rd phase is drawing no current.

Motor is running :confused:

WHY :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

Does it sound ok, it can still run single phasing if it's under no load

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭THENORTHSIDER

it's driving a bridge on a clarifier, with a gear box that the ratio makes the bridge move slowly.

I have 380 volts between phases and 230v between each phase and a neutral point.

Why is it single phasing?

Only noise from it is a clicking sound but we think that's a gearbox issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Where did you take the voltage readings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Could be a problem with the winding. It would still show voltage at the terminal box. You could try meggering the windings themselves with the 3phase wires removed.

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Could be a problem with the winding. It would still show voltage at the terminal box. You could try meggering the windings themselves with the 3phase wires removed.
    Ordinary multi meter better for checking for open circuits than a merger is.

• Advertisement

thanks lads for the help, I'm in tomorrow so will check all your suggestions. Because its on a rotating bridge there is a brush system to connect the cable to the bridge that will be my first port of call.

Top of my head burnt to a crisp but problem solved :D

Checked all connections from MCC to motor. Found that the last person to connect the motor clamped onto the insulation on the terminal and not onto the terminal itself. remade the terminal and happy days all working.

The current demand is now a balanced 0.4 A, 0.4A and 0.6 A.

Even with only two phases the current demand on them did not go higher than the FLC.

Thanks again for all suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Just remember to check the overload on the contactor. It should be 1.25 x the starting current and not the running current. I've seen that mistake made many times during commissioning.

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Just remember to check the overload on the contactor. It should be 1.25 x the starting current and not the running current. I've seen that mistake made many times during commissioning.
    If it was set at 1.25 times starting current, the overload would seem pointless. No?

Starting current can't really be exceeded, unless the motor is rotating in reverse at the instant of starting.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would have expected the overloads to be set at the full load current of the motor.
    Starting current is generally 3 to 5 times full load current (for DOL).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I always went by the info on the nameplate of the motors FLC and figured the nice guys at ABB had take all this into account at some point, and I always set the overload just a little less to be safe. Resetting/replacing an overload no worries, the risk of a burnt out motor?

Advertisement