Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Music Tips, Predictions, what you need to know - everything here

Options
  • 14-06-2014 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi Just wondering does anyone have any tips for practicing or answering the dictation question, and any tips for composing a melody in Q 7B. The melody writing is one I would like to get full marks in but does anyone have any advice on answering this? Thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 throw_away123

Hey,

I think the best way to practice dictation is out of the papers (with the CD), if you haven't done so already. You could also try googling "(easy) music dication" or "ear training dictation", I have no idea how well that may go.

It's played five times, and what I'd recommend is jotting down the rhythm (maybe in short-hand) the first one or two times you hear it, and spend the rest figuring out the melody, most of which will be in step movement. I like to write my melody in short-hand (e.g. using letter names) and then writing them on the staff during the intervals, since I'm a slow writer. I personally prefer to finish everything as soon as possible so I can have time to check that everything's right.

Don't panic if you don't get all of the notes, if you have the right direction you should be able to most of the marks.

For Q7B, follow the instructions given on the paper, for starters. A re-ti-doh ending is usually the best. Use a balance of mainly step movement and a couple leaps in this question, where you can. Most people put the highest note in the third bar.
    Keep the rhythm sensible, don't just throw around random rhythmic values for the sake of doing so. Stay safe and use crotchets, quavers, and some dotted rhythms. I'm guessing syncopation isn't a good idea, since it's such a short melody.
    The marking scheme says that a good melody should be singable, so don't just write down any notes; you should have a good idea of what you're doing in your head.

The marking scheme for last year is here, go to page 11:
    (examinations.ie)/archive/markingschemes/2013/JC046ALP000EV.pdf

This is coming from a guy who got full marks in dictation, but not in melody writing (I don't know why though) in the mocks (96%). I also study music theory outside of school, post-Leaving Cert level my teacher tells me, and there's a lot of composition involved.

Good luck to us all on Wednesday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭ECM1234

Does anyone know where I could get the listening audio for the 2002 music HL paper? I lost my CD from the exam paper :(

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TheEdgeofGlory

ECM1234 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I could get the listening audio for the 2002 music HL paper? I lost my CD from the exam paper :(

Have you tried examinations.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭ECM1234

Have you tried examinations.ie?

It's only the exam paper :(

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭IrishLassie26

Hey,

I think the best way to practice dictation is out of the papers (with the CD), if you haven't done so already. You could also try googling "(easy) music dication" or "ear training dictation", I have no idea how well that may go.

It's played five times, and what I'd recommend is jotting down the rhythm (maybe in short-hand) the first one or two times you hear it, and spend the rest figuring out the melody, most of which will be in step movement. I like to write my melody in short-hand (e.g. using letter names) and then writing them on the staff during the intervals, since I'm a slow writer. I personally prefer to finish everything as soon as possible so I can have time to check that everything's right.

Don't panic if you don't get all of the notes, if you have the right direction you should be able to most of the marks.

For Q7B, follow the instructions given on the paper, for starters. A re-ti-doh ending is usually the best. Use a balance of mainly step movement and a couple leaps in this question, where you can. Most people put the highest note in the third bar.
    Keep the rhythm sensible, don't just throw around random rhythmic values for the sake of doing so. Stay safe and use crotchets, quavers, and some dotted rhythms. I'm guessing syncopation isn't a good idea, since it's such a short melody.
    The marking scheme says that a good melody should be singable, so don't just write down any notes; you should have a good idea of what you're doing in your head.

The marking scheme for last year is here, go to page 11:
    (examinations.ie)/archive/markingschemes/2013/JC046ALP000EV.pdf

This is coming from a guy who got full marks in dictation, but not in melody writing (I don't know why though) in the mocks (96%). I also study music theory outside of school, post-Leaving Cert level my teacher tells me, and there's a lot of composition involved.

Good luck to us all on Wednesday!

Wow thank you so much! I`ve done the dictation listening on the CD already and can get the rhythm and a bit of the melody. Just need a bit of luck on the day! Best of luck to you and from the advice you gave me I think you will fly it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 throw_away123

You're most welcome, hope all goes well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 missdons

im doing music tomorrow and im really confused.
    for Q1 the set songs i know the streets of london preab san ol etc

then for Q2 set works i know i need to know spring, ripples in the rockpools and farandole and intermezzo from the bizet work (do you think intermezzo will come up as farandole,spring and ripples in the rockpools already have in 2011/2008/2005???)
    im fine with Q3 irish music
    Q4 dictation is a mess for me but im not too bothered about it
    its Q5 CHOSEN SONGS AND WORKS i dont understand properly
    my teacher did give us lists of songs to learn for this one like the banana boat song etc
    do i just learn off all the songs and features etc and then one comes up on the day is that it? but then where does example illustrative and film music come up?
    im ok with everything else after that i would just appreciate someone letting me know am i studying the right stuff before tomorrow and explaining question 5 to me

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pizzamad

Q5 is choice songs/works...you need to know the sheets your teacher gave you...you need the name, composer and a feature or two. Its only 10/400 marks aka 2.5% not really that big of a deal. The rest of the question is unstudied.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TheEdgeofGlory

Regarding the General Study do you have to refer to the two songs you've mentioned in every feature?. I'm preparing Art Music of the 20th century and I have a sheet with three features listed (Minimalism, Aleatoric, and serialism), but you can only choose two composers and their songs to refer to those features(ie if I was to pick John Cage and Steven Reich I could use Aleatoric and Minimalism as features and reference their songs but could I use the feature of serialism as the sheet mentions that Schoenberg used it). Essentially, is it considered a general feature of Art Music?.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 missdons

what set work do you think will come up this year (set C)
    ripples in the rockpools came up in 2011
    spring.. 2008
    farandole l arlesienne 2005
    would that mean intermezzo from l arlesienne this year??
    all i want is opinions as im trying to study set works and maybe the one i should be focusing on the most is intermezzo?? :/
    thank you:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pizzamad

My bets are Intermezzo or Spring movement one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Samdublinn

I have a question about the Irish music question part D. We never did this in class so I don't understand what we're to do. Will Q3. D tomorrow be the exact same tomorrow as the Q3. D in 2011?

How do we answer it?

Advertisement