Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England v Italy 11 PM. (Mod warning linked in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Thought that was a pretty good game, considering the general consensus was Italy want to defend and England are generally crap! Thought it was a much better game than that!

That free kick from Pirlo, well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

<3 Pirlo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

never ever write the italians off in tournament football,always a crisis pre tournament but they always seem to do well in major finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Hodgson needs to grow a pair and haul off the lads that aren't playing well regardless of the name on the back of the shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Italy as usual didnt do much, but didnt need to. Took their two chances. Gerrard was very poor, offered nothing. Henderson not much better. England are in trouble in cm. Upfront Sturridge, Wellbeck and Sterling were very good. Barkley..perhaps overhyped like all young English players. Wilshere, why is the guy rated. Has plenty to say for himself and the tattoos but cant play.
    Tough game now ahead. Thought Baines wasnt great either tonight, looked leg weary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Dont laugh, but its games like this that you want to throw on the likes of andy carroll, i mean roy should at least have thrown on lambert for the last 10 mins, why fcuking bring him, what put him on when your 5-0 up is it ffs it makes no sense to me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Surprised they didn't throw lambert on, he would have been a good option when Italy started to sit back. gerrard should have made way instead of Henderson, himself and Rooney were both poor (credit to Rooney for his brilliant assist). I was impressed by England but they're tactically naive in defensive sense and a proper number ten will hurt them. They should have enough to progress out of the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

microsim wrote: »
    Liam brady before the match: 'Balotelli is too unpredictable, Pirlo is too old and England's young guns should do Italy'. Good lad Liam, I know you're the Italian expert and all...

All I'm seeing is a bunch of overpaid ***** including that fat waster Rooney. Italy taught them a footballing lesson.

Bring on Uruaguay and hopefully Suarez will do them.

I can see Rooney losing his cool in future matches, perhaps when Costa Rica humiliate them.

Said to one of the lads at 5 a side.... Good bet would be for England not to win a game!

Look a decent shout now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

As long as Rooney and Gerrard are undroppable, England will will nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

When Uruguay beat them they might play the kids against Costa Rica

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

awful stuff from england in the second half. real lack of leadership.
    Drop Rooney, was just a passenger tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Liam brady before the match: 'Balotelli is too unpredictable, Pirlo is too old and England's young guns should do Italy'. Good lad Liam, I know you're the Italian expert and all...

All I'm seeing is a bunch of overpaid ***** including that fat waster Rooney. Italy taught them a footballing lesson.

I can see Rooney losing his cool in future matches, perhaps when Costa Rica humiliate them.

Jesus someone clearly doesn't like England. I don't like England, but I wouldn't be like THAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jez, how boring is Gerrard when being interviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Gerrard, Hart and Johnson to be replaced.

Wilshere to be sent home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

LOL! Great man Brady, and he's the only man on the panel that has a clue about football

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Lucas Castroman

Here here - premiership heroes humiliated once again by 35 year old Pirlo. They don't deserve to call themselves footballers compared to him.

Can't understand where England seemed to deserve a point...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

In Manaus, at the moment, it's 27°C with 75% relative humidity. If the players wilted a little, I'm hardly going to complain ...

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Thank **** I u-turned and stuck a fiver on it :)

Post a pic of a bet slip or stfu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Not Wayne's greatest fan I guess? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Good game, the Uruguay game should be a cracker.

Decent performance from England aside from Rooney & Gerrard but they played some very good attacking football. I think they'll beat Uruguay if they play like that again.

Italy could go far if they can tighten up at the back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Dapics wrote: »
    Gerrard, Hart and Johnson to be replaced.

Wilshere to be sent home.

Wilshere is the new Joe Cole...

Feckin Thierry Henry telling us Ballotelli shouldn't celebrate like that at the end of the match. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Shearer- you have got to score those chances- Rio stuttered

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

If after the next game Englad can't qualify, I'd LOVE to see a young team finish the tournament. Drop Stevie and Rooney.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Jez, how boring is Gerrard when being interviewed.

In fairness to Gerrard (and I really dislike Gerrard) the english print media will fill their back and front pages with what he said unless he trots out a string of cliches. Post match interviews have become so sterile now I don't know why TV stations insist on them anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Hodgson completely imbalanced the team with the subs. Lambert should've been on for Sturridge.

Barkley, Sterling, Lallana, Rooney all wanting to use the same space.

the defence is absolutely cack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

RoryMac wrote: »
    Good game, the Uruguay game should be a cracker.

Decent performance from England aside from Rooney & Gerrard but they played some very good attacking football. I think they'll beat Uruguay if they play like that again.

Italy could go far if they can tighten up at the back

Italy always go far. Italy to reach the final was one of the few value bets I spotted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

Ah jesus Rio. We get it, Rooney's your mate. He blew the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Credit to Hodgson, he got it right at the start I feel, I think his subs did nothing but disrupt the shape of the team but not sure what else he can do with his options, was Wilshire seriously on the field? Seen his name mentioned a few times here

I would have maybe brought on Lambert instead of Barkley, or Lallana even, too many of the same type player out there for England offensively, a different type of player could have brought something else to the equation. Who knows?

Pirlo is a majestic player, his career revival shows no signs of slowing down yet, still gliding around the field in the 95th minute. Gerrard is in a total wrong role, he doesn't have the legs for it, Cole should certainly have been on the plane to Brazil, tonight confirmed this for me.

The only real change I would have made to the starting line up would have been to play Rooney centrally, he is wasted out wide and I would personally either play him central or drop him, having said that, England did play pretty well and as I said, Hodgson got it pretty spot on with his starting team/tactics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

Loss for England, but for the first tournament in a long time England have brought a decent performance into a tournament. In any other recent tournament England were pretty obvious no hopers after the first 20 minutes of their first game. This time they look like a challenge for any team they face, and with a bit of luck, who knows how far they could go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

So Giles says no draw deserved

BBC say draw deserved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

edgecutter wrote: »
    Feckin Thierry Henry telling us Ballotelli shouldn't celebrate like that at the end of the match. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Why? When did Henry do that celebration at the end of the match?

• Advertisement

Shearer and Henry says he must of scored

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think England could've done with Henderson's energy at the end.

I think everyone was expecting Pirlo to play a three yard pass instead of a scorching freekick. No run up at all. The angle behind Pirlo with Hart running one way was quite funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ah jesus Rio. We get it, Rooney's your mate. He blew the chance.

Some shocking defences put forward for him tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

This was the best game so far. Holland Spain was very one sided but both teams tonight showed a lot of promise. They need to hold their heads,regroup and could still do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

What game where people watching who reckon england deserved a point?!

they where awful. Rooney and Gerrard where anonymous.

I cant see england getting out of the group on this performance. The pressure is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Shearer and liniker giving poor lil wayne a right roasting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Game was over for England once Welbeck and Sturridge came off.

Gerrard has turned into Moyes. "We can be pleased with how we played..." :D

To be fair, neither of these teams look good enough to win the tournament, both defences looked shaky. Uruguay can still easily win this group if they get their act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Some shocking defences put forward for him tonight.

"He's the main man"
    "He's going for the goalscoring record"
    "Check out his workrate bruv"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

dfx- wrote: »
    I think England could've done with Henderson's energy at the end.

I think everyone was expecting Pirlo to play a three yard pass instead of a scorching freekick. No run up at all. The angle behind Pirlo with Hart running one way was quite funny.

Pirlo would have fun of Henderson.

Rooney was also rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

darced wrote: »

Italy hit the upright, the crossbar, and had a ball going in cleared of the line by a defender. Among other chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

Joe Hart got whiplash following the path of Pirlo's freekick :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

pirlo what a legend

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement