Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone - mail with SSL

• 14-06-2014 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

I'm in the process of synchronising the email settings on a whole range of devices I use. I prefer to use SSL to provide at least some protection from passing passwords in the clear.

The server where I pick up my email uses a wildcard certificate (e.g. *.hostingcompany.com) which doesn't cover my domain (e.g. mail.zag.ie).

Most/all of the devices that I use have spotted this, present an error and say something like "certificate name doesn't match, do you want to proceed anyway?" to which I say "yes" and pick up all my mail.

I have an iPod running iOS 4.2.1 and it did this too, so I can pick my mail up securely using this device.

My iPhone running iOS 7.1.1 just says "certificate name doesn't match" and that's all. No option to accept.

Does anyone know how to get it to allow me to accept the cert anyway?

z

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

And 30 seconds later . . .

I kind of answered it as I was writing the question. I love it when that happens.

The answer is . . . change the host name that the iPhone uses. I had been using mail.zag.ie and it was complaining because this didn't match *.hostingcompany.com. Obviously, the hosting company has their own name for their own server, and then adds aliases for the hosted domains like mine. It was just a matter of working out that my mail was hosted on (say) server4393.hostingcompany.com and using that . . . which does match *.hostingcompany.com

Tadaa.

z

Advertisement