Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help please

• 14-06-2014 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Ok, I havent a clue of all the technical terms so please bare with me.
    I recently moved into a new (to me) house.
    There is a Satellite dish on the side of the house and an aerial on the chimney (I'm presuming terrestrial).
    In our Sitting room there are 2 cables which I have connected to a combi box, one does the terrestrial channels and the other does the free to air Uk ones. This works perfectly for the sitting room.
    In the Attic I have Located the aerial wire from the Aerial on the roof and the satellite dish wire and from opening the inline connections I have established what each wire does.

Now, There also seems to be a box which I presume was used to divide one of the lines up and spread it around the house to the bedrooms.
    Link below.... add www.
    satelliteandaerialsupplies.com/product/?s=triax-370403-4-way-link-amplifier-dc-pass-f-type

Now, I disconnected all the other wires and tried to add it in at the inline connections mentioned above. When I used the terrestrial line nothing happened and the signal to the TV was lost. When I used the line from the satellite dish, the green LED light came on, but there was still no signal to the TV downstairs.

Is this box not able to function as an aerial splitter?
    Im not to bothered if the Satellite doesnt work but I would like to be able to see RTE 2 for the next few weeks if possible, so I can watch the WC games.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

scubadec wrote: »
    Now, There also seems to be a box which I presume was used to divide one of the lines up and spread it around the house to the bedrooms.
    Link below.... www.satelliteandaerialsupplies.com/product/?s=triax-370403-4-way-link-amplifier-dc-pass-f-type

I think that is a splitter for a Sky receiver RF2-output signal (magic-eye etc.). See http://www.triax.co.uk/upload/product_guide.0208_001.pdf (page 29). Does it have its own power supply?

You probably require one of these distribution amps with the required number of outputs for each TV point in the house - http://www.tvtrade.ie/tv-distribution/tv-distribution-amplifiers.html

• Registered Users Posts: 36 scubadec

Thanks for the reply... Yes it has a DC input point. When I connect the cable directly from the Aerial nothing happens, but the cable from the satellite dish powers it up. But even when I connect it inline with the satellite cable, so just break the cable and have one line in and one line out it loses the signal. even though the green LED is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Yes it has a DC input point.

Is there a power supply connected to the DC input point?
    When I connect the cable directly from the Aerial nothing happens, but the cable from the satellite dish powers it up. But even when I connect it inline with the satellite cable, so just break the cable and have one line in and one line out it loses the signal. even though the green LED is on.

That amp is designed to take a signal and power from the RF2 output on a Sky receiver. It may not distribute the aerial feed to the other TV points around the house. Suggest you try a standard distribution amplifier, you should be able to pick one up locally, DIY shop, TV shop etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 scubadec

there is no power supply connected.
    iv just read the second bit on another website.... Thanks for the help!

Advertisement