Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

He's Getting Klose

• 14-06-2014 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

The veteran German striker stands level with his fellow countryman Gerd Müller on 14 goals in the all time World Cup records and one behind Ronaldo.

He has already taken the German team record, overtaking Müller.

Can he achieve the ultimate record in his last World Cup?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I hope he does, been an incredibly consistent performer for so long. Would be deserving,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

He probably will but because im a huge Ronaldo fan Id love if his record was never beaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

I think he will win golden boot

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

GavRedKing wrote: »
    He probably will but because im a huge Ronaldo fan Id love if his record was never beaten.

I felt the same about Gerd Muller's record and was sorry to see Ronaldo beat it. The 1974 World Cup was the first I remember watching as a kid, and he was a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Zaph wrote: »
    I felt the same about Gerd Muller's record and was sorry to see Ronaldo beat it. The 1974 World Cup was the first I remember watching as a kid, and he was a legend.

Klose seems very humble, saying he doesn't deserve to be seen in the same light as Müller. So I hope he gets it.

Another amazing record is Just Fontaine scoring 13 goals in just one tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Klose sadly, it seems, will not be remembered for being the true great he is.

Nearly there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

GavRedKing wrote: »

Ditto...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭McGrath5

It was like a throwback to 2002 watching Klose doing that celebration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He probably will beat it and I hope he does.

Then it will probably be beaten in a few World Cups by his team mate today Thomas Muller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

What an amazing athelete and player this man is,credit to him, scoring in 4 world cups is an amazing achievement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Couldn't do it against Bohs in Europe though back in 2001:

10351312_535439033244904_3463072505364303364_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Couldn't do it against Bohs in Europe though back in 2001:

10351312_535439033244904_3463072505364303364_n.jpg

I went to that game with a German mate I worked with. Strolled into Dalymount Park to see if the office was open to get tickets at lunchtime midweek a bit before the game. Office was closed and we wandered around and ended up inside the ground, all the gates were open. Bohs were training and we obviously looked lost. So Roddy strolls over, says hello, and asks if he can help us. He tells us where we can get tickets and to enjoy the match.
    German mate can't believe it, manager of the irish champions helping us out like that.
    So the game was on in Tolka, we go for a pint afterwards in Fagans, and Bertie is sitting in the corner. German bloke refused to believe for about half an hour that the leader of the country could be sitting at the bar having a pint.
    Anyway, that's my Klose story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Muller has 8 goals already, could get a couple of more in this tournament and has probably another 2 world cups to play in. Could be another player to beat record or equal it.

Congratulations Miroslav!

_76134448_kloseb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Shame he didn't do his somersault thing. :( Apparently, he got kicked while scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Turtwig wrote: »
    Shame he didn't do his somersault thing. :( Apparently, he got kicked while scoring.

Definitely should have finished with a somersault for old times sake:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

rob316 wrote: »
    Muller has 8 goals already, could get a couple of more in this tournament and has probably another 2 world cups to play in. Could be another player to beat record or equal it.

I think Muller will set an unbeatable record in his career.

If Muller was played in a few times last night he'd only be a few behind Klose.

Having 10 WC goals in 12 games at 24 is an exceptional record, barring injury he shuold make another 2, maybe 3 WC's if hes still able at 36 so he could easily beat Kloses current goals record and record of scoring in 4 WC's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Muller's unselfishness is costing me a lot of ****ing money at the minute. :pac: I got on him at TGS at 33/1 (which is posted in the gambling forum).

He easily could have 2/3 more this tournament. Passing to Klose for the 2nd and missing the ball for the 3rd are just from last night's game alone!

Klose's record is phenomenal though. And it is crazy because he has never been considered a world great, but he will be considered one of the World Cup greats! Some achievement to be honest, especially when you see the players who are up there with him.

• Advertisement

Ya, Kloses record is excellent : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_top_international_association_football_goal_scorers_by_country

Of all those ahead of him people know Puskas, Pele and Ali Daei but to get 71 goals in 136 international games in the modern era and in the most difficult qualification zone too is amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Klose is some player, but in this team game where the importance of the individual is exaggerated I think this should be also in a very big way be seen as a tribute to German football and its consistent excellence. They have have made the semi-finals at each of the last 4 world cups, which means effectively that they have played the maximum number of games possible at each of the four competitions.

Interesting Stat - Germany has scored 17 goals at this world cup after the semi-final. Spain scored just 8 in winning the tournament last time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

...due to the number of goals they and Klose have scored..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Delighted for him. Although the record may not last too long with Muller chasing him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I agree, I could see Muller breaking this next work cup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Interesting Stat - Germany has scored 17 goals at this world cup after the semi-final. Spain scored just 8 in winning the tournament last time.

Spain were dull as dishwater. That performance from Germany last night was electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

SantryRed wrote: »
    Muller's unselfishness is costing me a lot of ****ing money at the minute. :pac: I got on him at TGS at 33/1 (which is posted in the gambling forum).

He easily could have 2/3 more this tournament. Passing to Klose for the 2nd and missing the ball for the 3rd are just from last night's game alone!

Klose's record is phenomenal though. And it is crazy because he has never been considered a world great, but he will be considered one of the World Cup greats! Some achievement to be honest, especially when you see the players who are up there with him.

I thought Muller looked p*ssed off when Schurrle scored the 4th. He was right behind him and probably would have scored also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

SantryRed wrote: »

And that he played upfront with a very off form Carsten Jancker for one of the tournaments.

He hasn't always had Ozil and Muller and Schweinsteiger..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Cienciano wrote: »
    I went to that game with a German mate I worked with. Strolled into Dalymount Park to see if the office was open to get tickets at lunchtime midweek a bit before the game. Office was closed and we wandered around and ended up inside the ground, all the gates were open. Bohs were training and we obviously looked lost. So Roddy strolls over, says hello, and asks if he can help us. He tells us where we can get tickets and to enjoy the match.
    German mate can't believe it, manager of the irish champions helping us out like that.
    So the game was on in Tolka, we go for a pint afterwards in Fagans, and Bertie is sitting in the corner. German bloke refused to believe for about half an hour that the leader of the country could be sitting at the bar having a pint.
    Anyway, that's my Klose story

This is a bit like 'would you have killed hitler in the early / mid 1930's if you knew what he was going to do'...

Bertie. Not Klose or Roddy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

ronjo wrote: »
    I thought Muller looked p*ssed off when Schurrle scored the 4th. He was right behind him and probably would have scored also.

It was a hilarious reaction to your team scoring a goal in a world cup semi that's for sure.

Advertisement