Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two riders killed evening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

RIP to both riders

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Awful when this happens. RIP to them both!

I think it's a good idea to remind everyone to always wear their helmet. Although it wasn't due to a lack of helmet in these cases, riding is very much a risk sport and it's important to try to minimise the danger by being a little* more protected.
    This is unfortunately an example (in the rotational fall) where simply a mistake was made and it happened to have fatal consequences. I'm really hoping the main media don't pick this up and sensationalise it. Two riders and a horse in the one day. Very tragic.

*by a little, I mean a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭fits

Wasnt it Benjamin Winters in luhmuhlen? (dunno if I am right)

Terrible news.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

fits wrote: »
    Wasnt it Benjamin Winters in luhmuhlen? (dunno if I am right)

Terrible news.

Yep, you're right. I've edited my post to correct that. Sorry!

Sup_dude you are right about the helmuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ilovemarmite

sup_dude wrote: »
    Awful when this happens. RIP to them both!

I think it's a good idea to remind everyone to always wear their helmet. Although it wasn't due to a lack of helmet in these cases, riding is very much a risk sport and it's important to try to minimise the danger by being a little* more protected.
    This is unfortunately an example (in the rotational fall) where simply a mistake was made and it happened to have fatal consequences. I'm really hoping the main media don't pick this up and sensationalise it. Two riders and a horse in the one day. Very tragic.

*by a little, I mean a lot

Sympathy to riders and their families very sad.

Yes. So agree about helmet (and BP at least when jumping and doing xc even if people don't wear rest of time).

I've had a couple falls where I am sure with one no helmet would have meant a head injury (I got away with minor whiplash) and with other n bp I am fairly sure would have meant potentially broken or badly bruised ribs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Its was a terrible weekend for the sport, in addition to the eventing tragedies there were also 5 horses @ clonmel races that died:(

I have to admit the past year Ive been very lax about wearing my BP when jumping but it will be put back on now for every jumping session - I think we should all be as safe as possible when riding..

I will be doing some low level eventing next month & wondering if it would be worth also investing in a Hit Air bp aswell..

Marley I learnt my lesson the hard way about helmuts and BP. I wont get on a horse now without both of them.

Advertisement