Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veterinary Nursing?

Options
  • 15-06-2014 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm currently in 3rd year but I think I would really enjoy vet nursing. I also think I would be quiet good at it best I really care about animals am have experience with them because I one horses and grew up on a farm :) I was wondering is UCD the best place to do veterinary nursing or where did you do it? Also how many points do you need and do most clinics hire vet nurses? Does anyone have any tips (about subjects for the leaving cert ect.) general they would be greatly appreciated! Oh and most of all do you think it is an enjoyable and rewarding job? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I studied in Athlone, it's a 3 year course but I opted to do a extra year in practice management which I'm finishing up now. The course in Athlone has changed a lot since it was first offered and apparently scored the highest at the last VCI inspection around 18 months ago. The main thing is accreditation though so if the VCI has approved a course such as UCD or the other places you can register as a nurse when you graduate.
    There's a lot of science involved in the course so it is essential you do some science subjects for leaving cert, biology and chemistry would be the ideal.
    Not all vets hire nurses, many large animal vets for instance feel they don't really need them. Many nurses hired spend a lot of time doing reception work etc and don't get to use their skills. That said most of my classmates seem to have found work as nurses around the country.
    It is rewarding work but it is very hard sometimes and the pay is bad too. I haven't been at it long so hopefully you will get more perspectives from more experienced nurses here. It's important to remember that you will be dealing with people as much as with animals and that can be difficult. Sometimes you will get very frustrated dealing with attitudes you disapprove of but you have to remain professional. It can be physically and emotionally draining. And a lot of the time the work you are doing isn't that exciting either unless you really really love cleaning stuff:-)
    Not trying to put you off though because I do enjoy it myself and am optimistic about the future of the profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eimeartoday

Thank you for the information! :D

Advertisement