Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lichen removal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Congratulations - lichen usually grows only in areas with good air quality

That allowed and in a moist Irish climate lichen will grow on most surfaces - using bleach, Jayes. Fluid etc is overkill and not likely to have any beneficial or long term effect

If it really think if is a problem then use a pressure washer to remove

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭yfaykya

Power wash did nothing! Well it did brighten the stone surface by removing what I presume is algae. I tried one stone with bleach and that did not work either!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jcdf

gozunda wrote: »
    Congratulations - lichen usually grows only in areas with good air quality

That allowed and in a moist Irish climate lichen will grow on most surfaces - using bleach, Jayes. Fluid etc is overkill and not likely to have any beneficial or long term effect

If it really think if is a problem then use a pressure washer to remove

Does not lichen usually grow in shady areas?

I have some lichen, I think, growing on one side of my second floor bedroom window. The window is poorly installed and bulges in the middle resulting in a gap that allows air to pass through. The black lichen grows on an area of painted concrete facing this gap. It grows no where else on, in or around my house.

Why is it growing and how can I get rid of it?

Here are a few pictures of the stuff:

Window Outside.

Window Inside Open.

Black Lichen Close up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Cola T

You should utinate on it. Have your family and friends join in to speed up the process

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

jcdf wrote: »
    Does not lichen usually grow in shady areas?

I have some lichen, I think, growing on one side of my second floor bedroom window. The window is poorly installed and bulges in the middle resulting in a gap that allows air to pass through. The black lichen grows on an area of painted concrete facing this gap. It grows no where else on, in or around my house.

Why is it growing and how can I get rid of it?

Here are a few pictures of the stuff:

Window Outside.

Window Inside Open.

Black Lichen Close up.

That's a mould.
    Seal up the gap in the window frame first and I reckon that will solve your mould problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 jcdf

Cola T wrote: »
    You should utinate on it. Have your family and friends join in to speed up the process

I can see why you were banned after only making 30 posts.

For the rest of you, thanks for your help. I had the house exterior painted and the mould is now gone from sight entombed within dulux weather shield.

The root cause of the problem was a poorly fitted window, which still has not been fixed.

Advertisement