Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering Masters, but can't afford it

Options
  • 15-06-2014 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

As in the above title, I live in Dublin and have just graduated with a Level 8 Honours degree from IADT and am considering undertaking a masters. The only problems are (a) I do not know what masters to do (b) how to apply for one (and by what deadline) and (c) do not possess the financial means.

At present, I currently have a job which I devote most of my time to. I probably therefore would either be doing a full time or a part time masters. I am wondering at present if as a proposition it is a good idea for me personally considering what I have outlined above.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

A) This is your biggest problem. It's hard to give much advice here but look into why you want to do a masters, what you hope to get out of it, what your interests are etc etc.

B) Applying for a masters is fairly straightforward. You choose a masters, apply and the online system for the relevant university/country will basically walk you through it. Telling them about your grades, interests etc. You also write a personal statement where you outline why you're applying.

C) In terms of fees you have a few options. If your income is below a certain level, you can get your fees paid by SUSI although you can't get maintenance. Some universities offer scholarships for masters but these are very few and far between. You could also look at going elsewhere in Europe. A student from an EU country pays the same fees as a domestic student, and as Ireland has the second highest fees in the EU, you could save a lot of money by going abroad and still doing your masters through English. Other EU fees range from free tuition in Sweden to €1700 for a masters in the Netherlands. Countries like Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, Sweden, Denmark and Norway (not EU but it's EEA so operates the same way) all have excellent universities which offer a lot of their masters through English. A lot of my friends have done masters in Belgium and the Netherlands for example.
    Otherwise, Credit Unions tend to give low-interest rate loans.

If you're working and are still unsure about doing a masters, you're better off doing it part time or through distance learning such as with the Open University.

Advertisement