Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Gorey, work situation?

Options
  • 15-06-2014 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I am currently living and working in dublin.
    I am getting married and we are looking to buy a house in Gorey.
    Just wondering what it would be like to try get a job in gorey or surrounding areas.
    I'd be willing to do pretty much anything once the money paid the mortgage/bills and put some food on the table :)

Looking forward to reading some positive replies ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The obvious answer is to commute to Dublin,Gorey is only an hour's drive from the city.
    Gorey is a bustling town but has no major industry etc. which provides employment & many residents are commuters who do the Dublin run every day.
    Does your current job allow you to work from home at all,if so perhaps you could come to some arrangement with your employer and work a couple of days from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

zerks wrote: »
    The obvious answer is to commute to Dublin,Gorey is only an hour's drive from the city.
    Gorey is a bustling town but has no major industry etc. which provides employment & many residents are commuters who do the Dublin run every day.
    Does your current job allow you to work from home at all,if so perhaps you could come to some arrangement with your employer and work a couple of days from home.

Unfortunately not!
    The job is basically going from site to site all week.
    The only good thing about commuting is I could meet the lads in shankill and go from there but tbh, I could work for less money in gorey if I could find a job there as I would be saving on petrol from driving up every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

If you have a job in Dublin then do yourself a favour and stay there. As Zerks has said employment prospects in Gorey, indeed Wexford in general are poor, mostly minimum wage stuff in retail, fast food, agriculture etc. Not the sort of stuff you want if you're starting out in married life with a mortgage. On top of that unemployment in Wexford is running at about 24% so even those few jobs that are going are snapped up fairly quickly.
    I hate to put a dampener on your hopes but you have to be realistic about these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 123qwerty

Gorey? You could find seasonal work at ITW Corp or full time at Weatherglaze if you have enough skills and you are lad.
    There is also Lidl and number of pubs. I wish you well but Gorey is not good for finding job.

Advertisement