Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Channel Amplification Required

Options
  • 15-06-2014 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

2 UPC Main feeds coming in to house, looking to split it using an 8-port distrubution box

Hi I'm looking for a looking for a 'Cable distribution' box, I would have thought these were called 'cable boosters'

my friend says the CATV distribution unit is a higher quality version of a booster (or more commercial quality)

I just wanted to ask boards.ie folk is there any particular type thats more suited for UPC connections? like a certain MHZ value to look for? ----Its for TV and Broadband in Dublin

Thanks very much.

watty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

1) Ask UPC.

2) Not really to do with MHz. An ordinary distribution amp can cope with maybe 6 to 10 channels without overload. UPC could use up to 94 x 8MHz channels for Digital, Analogue and Modem, so simplistically it has to cope with about x10 power even if input level was the same as an aerial. Actually it has to cope with very much more power.

3) A passive 8 way splitter with F-Connectors may work if the cable signal is strong enough.

4) Splitting the signal for broadband modem requires a more expensive cable amplifier that feeds 5 to 65MHz OUT TO cable network (Upstream) and splits 88MHz to 862MHz in from cable network (Downstream). Best to have UPC fit it.

You really need to talk to UPC. Modifying Subscription Cable TV + DOCSIS Broadband installs is beyond ordinary DIY.

I used to design this sort of stuff for a living and initially trained in BBC Communications Engineering after College which is why I know.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to Cable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Investigated this when renovating the gaff and putting a cable point in each room. With tv and broadband on the one cable it is technically unfeasible to split the signal and distribute around your home. At best, you might be able to do one split with digital tv and broadband going to one point and analogue to distributed to the remainder of points.

According to a guy I contacted at the time, what you need is:
    • something which will allow power to pass
    • something which will cover your frequency range (of tv & broadband)
    • will give you the correct number of outlets
    • will have a low signal loss level

Apparently the solution is almost non-existent for the average consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There are boxes that do it. But not sold retail. You need to get it off UPC.
    • Can handle 5 to 65MHz in reverse direction
    • Can handle the power of 65 to 90 channels

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Johnny_191

watty wrote: »
    There are boxes that do it. But not sold retail. You need to get it off UPC.
    • Can handle 5 to 65MHz in reverse direction
    • Can handle the power of 65 to 90 channels

Thanks watty + others,

Watty when you say I need to get it off UPC could you tell me:

1- would they actually give it to me?
    2- is it really something suited for apartments but they might oblige me as I'm having these issue.
    3- would there much cost involved?

Regards
    Johnny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

UPC would fit a distribution box outside the house and run a feed to each room.This would be their equipment and owned by them. You wouldn't buy this sort of stuff to manage yourself as CPE.

Advertisement