Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter/Rubbish dumping in Dublin 1

Options
  • 15-06-2014 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi guys

Recently moved to an apartment in one of those Georgian/Victorian buildings near Mountjoy Square.

Really like the area as a whole but one thing I have noticed is the amount of overfilled black bags of rubbish routinely dumped on the street next to lamp post and bus stops.

Also, there's a couple of derelict houses with the doors boarded up, and people are using the entrance way to dump their bags of rubbish. Obviously then the birds rip the bags open and before you know if the crap like used teabags, beer cans and other stuff are strewn across the footpath.

As I said, I really like the area but this brings the tone down so much - it gets cleaned up and before you know it, it's back to the same.

I am actually considering waiting to catch someone doing it so I can confront them, there's absolutely no need for this - I am paying a sizeable but the street looks like absolute filth.

Is there anywhere that this can be reported?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Contact Dublin City Council customer services on 01 222 2222 & ask for the Litter Warden's office.

Or you can report it online here - http://www.dublincity.ie/YourCouncil/Pages/isupport.aspx.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭LeBash

Im linving in Phibsboro and every alley and lane is exactly the same.

Ive followed 1 person back up the road and reported the address they went into.

The guy called up and said they had a fill 6" deep ob this person. There are numerous fines etc none of which have been paid and there is not much else that can be done.

Its a real pity because the NCR and Mountjoy Square and really nice areas. I would go as far as saying they are some of the best looking in Dublin but the fly tipping is ruining them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭LeBash

Im linving in Phibsboro and every alley and lane is exactly the same.

Ive followed 1 person back up the road and reported the address they went into.

The guy called up and said they had a fill 6" deep ob this person. There are numerous fines etc none of which have been paid and there is not much else that can be done.

Its a real pity because the NCR and Mountjoy Square and really nice areas. I would go as far as saying they are some of the best looking in Dublin but the fly tipping is ruining them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

I've just moved to Nelson Street just off Eccles Street beside the Mater and this is no different, neighbours just chucking black bags of sh*te onto the street

I feel embarrassed bring people over as it looks a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Not to mention Summerhill. Drive through there alot and the amount of illegal dumping there is beyond a joke. Every bin, lampost, side street, even in front of peoples houses there are bags of sh*te. Its a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I brought this up last year but it really is my honest opinion, that the following measures must be implemented

1. Landlords including the Councils acting as landlords over their houses, must ensure that there is waste collection at the premises, easiest way for this to happen is that it must be included as part of the rent ( Unfortunate and will result in rent increase but it seems like its necessary in many areas).

2. Use the database created by the Property tax to check which homes do not subscribe to any waste collection and investigate why (probably requires some legislative backup but not too complicated).

3. People caught dumping have a lengthy mandatory community service spell cleaning up dumped rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

It's quite simple. You don't fine in the usual manner. You create an anti social service tax.

Take the money directly from their wages or payment. So they pay for the problems they help create.

Someone is caught fly tipping or general anti social behavior. 3 strikes and they get anti social service taxed for a year.

It's quite simple. You don't fine in the usual manner. You create an anti social service tax.

Take the money directly from their wages or payment. So they pay for the problems they help create.

Someone is caught fly tipping or general anti social behavior. 3 strikes and they get anti social service taxed for a year.

I'd hazard a guess that the majority who are dumping are unemployed or getting some sort of rent allowance or benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I'd hazard a guess that the majority who are dumping are unemployed or getting some sort of rent allowance or benefit

Maybe , I did say wages / "payment".

Maybe , I did say wages / "payment".

Either way, whoever is doing it needs a kicking!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Possibly, but I know for a fact the guy who does it and the end of our street is a business owner. He's the type follows no rules or regulations, parks wherever the hell he wants and gets away with it. A right charmer.
    We have reported him a number of times and still he does it.

spurious wrote: »
    Possibly, but I know for a fact the guy who does it and the end of our street is a business owner. He's the type follows no rules or regulations, parks wherever the hell he wants and gets away with it. A right charmer.
    We have reported him a number of times and still he does it.

Hit him where it hurts- in the pocket - pay off a couple of the local scally's to take a Stanley to his tyre's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

i see this in Dublin 7 too, blackhorse avenue, marlbrough mews, same little corners and alcoves with black bags and crap one day cleaned the next day and dumped on again a day later...ongoing... a couple of sting operations would help..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hit him where it hurts- in the pocket - pay off a couple of the local scally's to take a Stanley to his tyre's :)

I'd say he's the sort supplies the scallies with their pharmaceuticals. He certainly owns a premises from where they are supplied. A delight - has had the police called on him a number of times, threatening old women, going to punch old men, making threats to pregnant women. Thankfully, he's getting on now and time is a race he won't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Not to mention Summerhill. Drive through there alot and the amount of illegal dumping there is beyond a joke. Every bin, lampost, side street, even in front of peoples houses there are bags of sh*te. Its a disgrace.

I agree unbelievable amount of stuff strewn around summerhill parade and ballybough road.

Will confronting the offenders do any good if I catch them red handed or will this just lead to trouble for me further down the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

We don't advocate this type of activity here thank you.

January wrote: »
    We don't advocate this type of activity here thank you.

Apologies

Advertisement