Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Irish Voip port numbers?

Options
  • 15-06-2014 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

If I understand right, Irish-based providers are obliged to provide porting for Irish geographical landline numbers, but Irish VOIP seems to be based in the UK.

I'm asking here because I can't find out from their website, they haven't responded to my email via their web form, and it may not have got through to them anyway, because of a technical issue here. (No other contact method at their website).

I did find their main company number elsewhere, but as it's Sunday it would save time if someone out there knows the answer. (It's the final piece of my research jigsaw, and I'm impatient to ditch the landline ASAP!).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Would you please provide a link to their website so we know who you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

http://irishvoip.ie/Index.aspx

I heard of them via my ISP (who suggested them).
    I've just noticed they have a postal address in Dublin, as well as a UK one (via the 'Corporate' link at the bottom).
    I think I found their phone number (a UK one) via some company infomation website that came up in a search.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

The postal address in Dublin may be a forwarder I'm not sure.

They use a carrier (or carriers) who terminate in Ireland to gain access to the PSTN. A lot of providers do this. They use them to port numbering, so if there main offices are in the UK you can still port your number.

You are correct in saying that all providers have to allow portability. This was brought in to prevent monopolies in the industry.

Thanks Mr G!

Fogmatic wrote: »
    Thanks Mr G!

It's worth noting that not all do number portability, for example Freespeech, but this is not complying with Comreg's regulations.

Because they have registered with Comreg and are providing a telecommunications service (you need a Comreg license to provide telecommunication services) in Ireland, you should be able to port your number.

Worst case scenario you would have to port to another VoIP provider.

Goldfish do it for €3.99 + VAT a month with no contract. You can then divert this to your other provider over the internet for free.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

I had already ascertained that Freespeech don't do number porting (and that Blueface & Goldfish do). But there aren't enough calls on our landline number to justify any of the subscriptions/call plans I've looked at (even those with monthly limits), and we don't need the extra features most include, so PAYG looks our best option (together with hardware that isn't hobbled by some VOIP provider),

We're migrating from UTV Talk, which I chose it mainly for its free offpeak calls to the UK, and the rates offered by e.g.Irish Voip will make that cost insignificant. I didn't get an answer via Vomino's web form re porting numbers, but eliminated them anyway as they don't do PAYG (as far as I can tell).

Yes, no big deal if we change VOIP providers. (I'll still try ringing Irish Voip's head office after lunch, though).

Who is your broadband provider?

A local fixed-wireless provider called Antenna

A local fixed-wireless provider called Antenna

Are you sure they didn't suggest Irish Voip.com? They're two different companies.

Not sure - they just said IrishVoip.
    I didn't know about irishvoip.com. (Which seems to be based in Kildare). The .ie one came up in a Google search.

I've looked at their PAYG call charges to UK & Irish landlines. irishvoip.ie's are so much lower than irishvoip.com's (and those of the other providers I've looked into) that I'm wondering if it's a fake website.

Tried the .ie company's number periodically through the afternoon, just engaged tone so far.

• Advertisement

The rates charged by irishvoip.ie seem very close to those charged by freevoipdeal.com, so I am inclined to think they might be genuine.

I look forward to any further information you get about their service.

Don't be afraid to do as Mr. G suggested ..... use one company for the ported number and another for the calls.
    Worst case scenario you would have to port to another VoIP provider.

Goldfish do it for €3.99 + VAT a month with no contract. You can then divert this to your other provider over the internet for free.

Thanks. I haven't found any further info yet on either of the 'Irish Voip' companies, and I've gone for Vomino to start with after all.

I simply bought a month's Flexi Standard plan (€10), which includes more minutes/destinations than we're likely to need (though nice to know I could ring my friend in New Zealand!).
    One reason is that they send a (no deposit) 'Vomino box' (with analogue phone port), so there's no rush to choose an ATA. This considerably shortens my critical path (what with researching adaptors plus whatever delivery time).
    The porting form will be done by email (not post), and I already have what I think is my UAN.

As well as the line rental aspect, I'm hoping to get VOIP installed & tested, and the number ported, by the end of the month. Vodafone's taking over UTV Connect then, and I suspect there'll be a few delays until they settle in. Also, as the takeover changes our contract, we're let off any penalty for ending it if we let them know by then (not that I've checked the temination T&Cs yet).

So far, I've been getting the impression that getting the cheapest band of call rates means sacrificing number portability (and straightforward call receiving)?

Thanks. I haven't found any further info yet on either of the 'Irish Voip' companies, and I've gone for Vomino to start with after all.

I simply bought a month's Flexi Standard plan (€10), which includes more minutes/destinations than we're likely to need (though nice to know I could ring my friend in New Zealand!).
    One reason is that they send a (no deposit) 'Vomino box' (with analogue phone port), so there's no rush to choose an ATA. This considerably shortens my critical path (what with researching adaptors plus whatever delivery time).
    The porting form will be done by email (not post), and I already have what I think is my UAN.

As well as the line rental aspect, I'm hoping to get VOIP installed & tested, and the number ported, by the end of the month. Vodafone's taking over UTV Connect then, and I suspect there'll be a few delays until they settle in. Also, as the takeover changes our contract, we're let off any penalty for ending it if we let them know by then (not that I've checked the temination T&Cs yet).

So far, I've been getting the impression that getting the cheapest band of call rates means sacrificing number portability (and straightforward call receiving)?

No, but it probably means using two providers ..... one for calls and the other for the number.
    Calls to the number can then be routed to the 'calls provider' FOC. This is the account you would register in your ATA.

With the ATA they supply I think there is both an FXO and an FXS port on it so you can connect your landline to it, allowing you to call out through the VoIP provider and in through VoIP and the landline until the number is ported.

It makes the porting then seamless.

Advertisement