Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most arrogant county in modern Hibernia

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Jawgap wrote: »
    It's a second or third rate European capital - or to put it another way, if the city disappeared into a huge hole tomorrow would the world actually notice?

I reckon it'd make the news. Maybe even American news :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

c_man wrote: »
    I reckon it'd make the news. Maybe even American news :eek:

I reckon it would make the news too - but would people outside of Ireland (aside from the mega-party Cork would throw) be affected by it?

There is very little that goes on in this city that actually affects people outside Ireland (I mean, really affects them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

By their own admission it's a ranking based on "....connectivity through four "advanced producer services": accountancy, advertising, banking/finance, and law."

There's much more to city life that those four activities/services.

I think Dublin is a great city - I grew up here, went to uni here, and now I'm lucky to work here. It's a nice city that has a 'human' scale to it, it's easy to move around, the architecture is nice and there's plenty happening......

......but you can say that about dozens of other cities (a lot with better weather, much better public transport and greater cultural offerings).

It's a second or third rate European capital - or to put it another way, if the city disappeared into a huge hole tomorrow would the world actually notice?

Dublin is not a second or third rate European capital how you have come to that conclusion I don't know. It's ranked above London in the most recent mercer quality of life survey and other capitals aswell. An alpha ranked city with a higher quality life rating than London and we are a third rate capital. I'm afraid I'm not having that at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

WakeUp wrote: »
    Dublin is not a second or third rate European capital how you have come to that conclusion I don't know. It's ranked above London in the most recent mercer quality of life survey and other capitals aswell. An alpha ranked city with a higher quality life rating than London and we are a third rate capital. I'm afraid I'm not having that at all.

Ah come on - Dublin is better than London?

We may have a better quality of life (something I would agree with having lived in London for a number of years), but that doesn't mean the city has the global reach and importance that is even remotely comparable to somewhere like London.

According to the Brookings Institution, London's 'GDP' is estimated to be $730 billion (at 2012 prices) whereas Dublin's is $87 billion (or 131st of the cities surveyed) - ahead of Virginia Beach in the US, but just behind Manchester in the UK.

EDIT:- we also rank 16th in terms of GDP when you compare us just with other EU capitals and 29th when compared with all EU cities appearing on the list - again, we're a nice city, but not exactly in the front rank when it comes to exercising influence beyond these shores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Ah come on - Dublin is better than London?

We may have a better quality of life (something I would agree with having lived in London for a number of years), but that doesn't mean the city has the global reach and importance that is even remotely comparable to somewhere like London.

According to the Brookings Institution, London's 'GDP' is estimated to be $730 billion (at 2012 prices) whereas Dublin's is $87 billion (or 131st of the cities surveyed) - ahead of Virginia Beach in the US, but just behind Manchester in the UK.

EDIT:- we also rank 16th in terms of GDP when you compare us just with other EU capitals and 29th when compared with all EU cities appearing on the list - again, we're a nice city, but not exactly in the front rank when it comes to exercising influence beyond these shores.

Yeah but I'm not saying we have more global influence than London or are better whatever that means , who along with New York are in a league of their own when it comes to influence of finance and trade on the world stage. Though the facts speak for themselves Dublin is an alpha ranked world city with a higher quality of life rating than London. Hardly a second or third rate European capital. Considering our population and GDP having our capital as an alpha ranked city is not something to be dismissed it's a credit to the people of the city who make it work ( from wherever they come ) and indeed the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Dublin is bent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭RustDaz

Those shower of fairies over in Tír na nÓg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Vita nova wrote: »
    Not amongst the Dubliners I know

It's a synonym for a country bumpkin and you're using it as a generic word for non-Dubliners... it's not bizarre!
    Sure non-Dubliners use it but in a self-deprecating self-identifying way much the same way as black people use the N-word or Irish people use the term Paddy, that sense doesn't exist when a Dubliner or other urban dweller uses it.
    Maybe you should take a trip outside Dublin, and refer to the locals as culchies and see how people react.

It's a generic word for non-Dubliners and I'm using it as a generic word for non-Dubliners.
    I know plenty of culchies who refer to themselves as culchies, just because you have some weird hang up about the word (equating it with racial slurs ffs) doesn't mean it's an insult.
    It's about as offensive as the word Dub.

If you wanted to be offensive, you'd use the words bogger and jackeen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

I generally like and get on with dubs, can never understand why they get such a hard time off culchies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

How can you possibly generalise a whole county. I've met complete knobs from many counties and many sound people from many counties. Personally, the most arrogant c*nt I've ever come across was someone from Leitrim of all places.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

jugger0 wrote: »
    Dublin is bent

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

thelad95 wrote: »
    How can you possibly generalise a whole county. I've met complete knobs from many counties and many sound people from many counties. Personally, the most arrogant c*nt I've ever come across was someone from Leitrim of all places.

All of Munster and Ulster have been damned here and most of the rest. I had decided to relocate to Leitrim, and now Leitrim gets it in the neck. I'm off to North Korea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

feargale wrote: »
    All of Munster and Ulster have been damned here and most of the rest. I had decided to relocate to Leitrim, and now Leitrim gets it in the neck. I'm off to North Korea.

Ah the North Koreans. A grand bunch of lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

jugger0 wrote: »
    Dublin is bent

I think you may have chosen to visit on the wrong day:D

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Vita nova

It's a generic word for non-Dubliners and I'm using it as a generic word for non-Dubliners.
    I know plenty of culchies who refer to themselves as culchies, just because you have some weird hang up about the word (equating it with racial slurs ffs) doesn't mean it's an insult.
    It's about as offensive as the word Dub.

If you wanted to be offensive, you'd use the words bogger and jackeen

It's to do with context and perception. There is a difference between a rural person using the term culchie and a Dubliner or other urban dweller* using it, just as there is a difference between an Irish person using the term Paddy and an English person using it. The difference is they are using a word which would have been originally perceived as pejorative in a self-identifying and often self-depreciating humorous fashion, whereas, when a Dubliner/urban dweller uses the term, the pejorative sense remains or at least that's how it would be perceived by many from outside Dublin. That's not to say it can't be used humorously by people who don't consider themselves culchies but be careful because you could easily be considered an unfunny *****. As I said before, if you don't believe me take a trip outside Dublin and start referring to the locals as culchies.

Nowhere did I equate culchie with racial slurs -read my previous post carefully- I equated the self-identifying manner in which the N-word and Paddy are used by black people and Irish people with how culchie is used by rural dwellers, I was also alluding to the fact that they are all 'reappropriated/reclaimed' words (explanation of reappropriation).

As for me having "some weird hang up", judging by some of the other replies to your posts and the thanks I've received, I'm clearly not the only one.

* Other cities and other urban dwellers also use the term culchie for country dwellers... I've even heard of rural professionals referring to the local disadvantaged as culchies.

Jesus wept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Is culchie an offensive slur now? Well then Im offended! In fact Im OUTRAGED!:mad: Im going to go to Feedback right this instant and demand it be a punishable offence!:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

dd972 wrote: »

Plus Ulster Prod's think they're some sort of Aryan, Calvinist, Nordic master race when in reality most of them are like a cross between Rab C Nesbitt and a Jeremy Kyle show guest.

Since when were Ulster Prods a county? Is there any possibility you can read a thread title properly before launching into your dreary little bigotry?

Incidentally, swap Ulster Prods for any other group of people with the above poisonous garbage and you'd never hear the end of it. Joseph Goebbels could learn something from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Jesus wept

Look, the point I'm trying to get across is that if you think that you as a Dubliner can refer to everyone outside Dublin as a culchie and that it is some neutral term, then that's not how your usage will be perceived by many from outside Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I've lived in and around Dublin most of my life (40+ years). I worked in Dublin for almost 18 years, most of my clients are in Dublin, I never heard any of my Dublin colleagues use the term culchie, and I'd be surprised if I did

Yeah! Sure everyone's braver online!
    Look, the point I'm trying to get across is that if you think that you as a Dubliner can refer to everyone outside Dublin as a culchie and that it is some neutral term, then that's not how your usage will be perceived by many from outside Dublin.

Fair enough, I wouldn't refer to someone I didn't really know as a culchie face to face! It would raise an eyebrow and I'd look like a wancker. But, on other occasions I have used it with friends, clay pigeon shooting, eight Dubs, one midlander, the midlander shoots three pigeons in a row, first time, everyone roars "culchie"... all good bants, all friends (we all missed of course). There's other times I've seen it used when you see typical stuff being done by ruralites, not in a nasty way, but in the same way you'd slag a city person doing something silly in a field! :) It's not a very nice term when used in a certain way and most Dubs I know don't use it in a nasty way. In saying that, I've been called a dirty Jackeen by complete strangers on holiday around Ireland, all in jest of course.

• Advertisement

Ok so, Culchie can be used offensively, but isn't necessarily an offensive word

Advertisement