Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Knee down practice!

• 15-06-2014 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Anyone know a quiet roundabout on southside of dublin to practice getting your knee down?...I gone long enough without touching down!

I've taking a spin out to cherry wood but theres a good few cars coming on an off the motorway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

paulieeye wrote: »
    Anyone know a quiet roundabout on southside of dublin to practice getting your knee down?...I gone long enough without touching down!

I've taking a spin out to cherry wood but theres a good few cars coming on an off the motorway.

Try an industrial estate or empty parking lot.

Why anyone feels the need to get the knee down on the road is beyond me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

empty carpark prob better as you can do both turns (vs roundabouts)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Go do a trackday if you want to get your knee down. Or I'll sell you some of my old sliders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Can I ask why you feel you need to get your knee down ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Here's a good place:
    http://goo.gl/maps/JH3Pj

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

GavPJ wrote: »
    Go do a trackday if you want to get your knee down. Or I'll sell you some of my old sliders.
    Yep, or do a track training day, even cheaper and you still get decent track time.

Or get the grinder out. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Cheers for the suggestions.

I want to get my knee down as I dont feel I've advanced as a rider in years. I want to get used to the feeling of putting the bike at an acute angle and not freaking out. Weather my knee actually touches down isnt really that important, more getting used to being down there. Once or twice over the years I've had a run offs and always thought better cornering experience would of helped in this situation.

If anyone has any good advanced rider courses that they've been on let me know. What was covered on your course? Did you find the instructor was good?

Job

Seriously, mondello! Do a track training day, they'll tell you the basics then you go out on the track for a run. Costs €100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Wont get many on-road instructors that will be encouraging knee down shenanigans :pac:

if you do, gimme their number! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Cienciano wrote: »
    Seriously, mondello! Do a track training day, they'll tell you the basics then you go out on the track for a run. Costs €100

Cheers I'll check it out

edit: looks like a class day out for €100
    http://www.mondello.ie/track_days/bike_track_days/track_day_training/

Cheers I'll check it out

edit: looks like a class day out for €100
    http://www.mondello.ie/track_days/bike_track_days/track_day_training/
    I've never done one, might do one myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

GavPJ wrote: »

I'll giv you my old ones...but theyre basically two ovals of velcro ..............:p

Anyways..kneedown is so last year...its all about elbows now..............:cool:

Elbows are actually last year too. You need to get your shoulder down now

J6RN5qV.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭prunudo

Video is a bit old and grainy but you get the idea

http://youtu.be/QCg3BMGe52M

If you do decide to go to a supermarket/industrial estate carpark do a drivearound of your area first..Tayto packets and flattened coke cans have no grip at 50 degrees.......be aware of "youknowwho" driving around lookin for scrap too..Also bring a couple of mates, if you tip it you might break a lever/hand/collarbone...all will make riding home on your own difficult...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Knee down stuff is for racing on closed circuits because there is nothing coming your way and there are marshals to warn if any danger, so you can ride as fast as you can.
    Learn to get around a bend first.
    Public roads have too many dangers to think about, so concentrate on smooth riding to help your skills.

Everyone knows getting your chin down is where its at these days !! :pac:

Thats what all the cool kids are doing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I want to get my knee down as I dont feel I've advanced as a rider in years.

Wanting to get your knee down is going in the opposite direction.

Leave racing techniques to the track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

I remember the first time I got my knee down, it was very quickly followed by my elbow, my arse and my back :eek::D

Bang Bang wrote: »
    I remember the first time I got my knee down

Firs time most people get the knee down is like their first time feeling a wheelie come on ~ they sh*t themselves and pull the bike up.

OP straight up if you really want to do it go with someone who can really do it, its like learning to wheelie in so far as withouth tuition and some encouragement from people who know what they're doing you simply won't get it.

First time for me was in Mondello...its a great feeling tbh and i wouldnt discourage anyone from doing it...even if YOU think its stupid or pointless...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

First time for me was in Mondello...its a great feeling tbh and i wouldnt discourage anyone from doing it...even if YOU think its stupid or pointless...;)
    First time I did it was on the road, then went to Mondello, had much more fun in Mondello. :)

I got my knee down once, followed by my hip, elbow, then shoulder. All closely followed by 250 kilos of metal. Was gas fun !!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

First time for me was on the road and have done it a good few times but only when making an effort to do it and messing. On a spin I would never bother as it doesn't help!

Can give you some tips if you want and know a good quiet roundabout to try it on :p

batman_oh wrote: »

Can give you some tips if you want and know a good quiet roundabout to try it on :p

Roundabouts meh, I love a quiet M50/M1 exit where 200kph+ is achievable :)

M1/Swords Rd exit is another but with the camber its hard to get a knee down there, and there's a regular Gatso up near the roundabout (but that shouldn't bother us here :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Lots of lummy shellgrip around too :)

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Roundabouts meh, I love a quiet M50/M1 exit where 200kph+ is achievable :)

M1/Swords Rd exit is another but with the camber its hard to get a knee down there, and there's a regular Gatso up near the roundabout (but that shouldn't bother us here :) )

Best place to practice as you can keep trying over and over!

• Advertisement

I have too corners where I like taking it fast around. On Friday for some reason I took it handy. One corner had a pile of sand spilt from a truck on it and it was spread across the road. Looked like beach sand. The other one had a load of bits of drywall plasterboard on it.

Advertisement