Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Switzerland vs Ecuador - 5PM (ITV/RTE)

• 15-06-2014 1:53pm
    Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭

The true dark horses of the World Cup for me, since the likes of Belgium, Colombia and to a lesser extent Chile have been hyped up in the last six months to a year or more.

In the likes of Sommer (though Benalgio will start), Shaqiri (potential Player of the Tourney), Xhaka, Schar, Stocker, Alberto Del Rio's personal ring announcer who also plies his football trade with Wolfsburg, one Ridcardo Rodriguez and Drmic (potential Top Goalscorer), that is a very nice core of young players to call upon. Then there is Inler, who is a classy player in the middle of the park. Juventus RB Lichtsteiner and Seferhovic from Sociedad who is capable and will offer a different option to Drmic.

Ecuador, Valencia aside I know little about personnel wise, so I won't dare comment on them :pac:

Prediction: Switzerland 2-0 Ecuador

Hitzfield will have the Swiss set up well as ever, and with the sprinkling of quality littered throughout, they should have enough in attack to score at least onece.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    The true dark horses of the World Cup for me, since the likes of Belgium, Colombia and to a lesser extent Chile have been hyped up in the last six months to a year or more.

In the likes of Sommer (though Benalgio will start), Shaqiri (potential Player of the Tourney), Xhaka, Schar, Stocker, Alberto Del Rio's personal ring announcer who also plies his football trade with Wolfsburg, one Ridcardo Rodriguez and Drmic (potential Top Goalscorer), that is a very nice core of young players to call upon. Then there is Inler, who is a classy player in the middle of the park. Juventus RB Lichtsteiner and Seferhovic from Sociedad who is capable and will offer a different option to Drmic.

Ecuador, Valencia aside I know little about personnel wise, so I won't dare comment on them :pac:

Prediction: Switzerland 2-0 Ecuador

Hitzfield will have the Swiss set up well as ever, and with the sprinkling of quality littered throughout, they should have enough in attack to score at least onece.
    i watched Ecuador and England last week and they are a pretty decent side. one major factor in this game will be the conditions and they will definitely suit Ecuador more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Difficult for me to get too excited about this one. Switzerland would be a lot more interesting if Hitzfeld wasn't still the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Switzerland would be a lot more interesting if Hitzfeld wasn't still the manager.

In all likelihood, they'd also be a much poorer side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

It's a shame Frei doesn't play anymore could have very useful,btw anyone know who Switzerlands backup striker is? is he any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why advertise it as on ITV when it's also on RTE?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why advertise it as on ITV when it's also on RTE?

Well, considering I'm in the US and oddschecker.com have only ITV listed down..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Difficult for me to get too excited about this one. Switzerland would be a lot more interesting if Hitzfeld wasn't still the manager.
    Yeah its difficult to win with a coach who has only won the Champion's league with two different clubs and won multiple Bundesliga titles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Gonna be difficult to split myself between this and the hurling. Should only conflict for about 30mins though fingers crossed. Don't know much about either of these teams but that's the beauty of the world cup I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Expecting Ecuador to have too much pep for the Swiss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looking forward to this - a bunch of potential summer transfer targets on show for "Swatcherland"

Are Switzerland now a hipster team?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Just watching the highlights of the Japan / Ivory Coast game here.

Nice to see the Ivorian subs bench applauding the quality of Japan's goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Conditions will suit Ecuador but the Swiss will be typically hard to break down, low scoring game coming up i think

It's a shame Frei doesn't play anymore could have very useful,btw anyone know who Switzerlands backup striker is? is he any good?
    Seferovic is the backup to Drmic and he is pretty decent. He is only breaking through now at Sociedad, he is 22 years old. You would predict a long successful international career for him only for the fact that the guy he is backing up is only 21.

Hitzfeld has done a great job in developing a young side and getting rid of the older brigade at the right time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

EKUADOR XI (v Swiss): Dominguez, Guagua, Erazo, Paredes, Noboa, Montero, W. Ayovi, Gruezo, A. Valencia, E. Valencia, Caicedo

SWISS XI (v Ekuador): Benaglio, Rodriguez, Schaer, Djourou, Lichsteiner, Xhaka, Inler, Stoker, Mehmedi, Shaqiri, Drmic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

mike65 wrote: »
    Looking forward to this - a bunch of potential summer transfer targets on show for "Swatcherland"

They were briefly. I think Columbia are now the team for the more discerning hipster.

mike65 wrote: »

Hardly, I'd imagine the hipster teams in this World Cup are the ones with very few players in European leagues like Colombia, Equador, Iran etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Is Barnetta injured ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Fair play to brian Kerr. He travelled over 1600km since 10pm last night to meet up with Jon Kenny in Brasilia to commentate on this match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hoping for a fantastic game of hurling.

Hoping for a fantastic game of hurling.

Enjoy, the rest of the world is watcing the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think this could be the first truly dour game of the world cup tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Lot of empty seats.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think this could be the first truly dour game of the world cup tbh.

Tend to agree, don't have any memories of enjoying watching Switzerland before, but you never know.

Think Barnettas on the bench he's in the squad though.

Tend to agree, don't have any memories of enjoying watching Switzerland before, but you never know.

Ukraine - Switzerland 2006 anyone:pac:

Enjoy, the rest of the world is watcing the World Cup.
    A Clare man I see.

Crowd also expecting a dour match as they have already started a Mexican wave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Shaquri's bulked up a lot.

These are the longest minutes of my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Brian Kerr is like an encyclopedia for foreign football, superb co-commentator

Great stuff, a goal is just what this game needed.

1-0 Ecuador. Free header from a free kick.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Woeful defending

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

Good cross for the goal.
    Absolutely rubbish defending though. Nobody attacked the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I am loving this World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

That was pathetic defending. On the other side it was a nice delivery.

The goal-less game has once again been postponed.

Woeful defending
    Good cross for the goal.
    Absolutely rubbish defending though. Nobody attacked the ball.

I have never seen a goal in any game where people have said that the defending was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Defending was awful

Great free kick....shocking amount of empty seats here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Should 'liven' irrup' as Kerr might say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Yeaaaa!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Can't believe we paid €2.5m for Djourou -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

So much for the Swiss' great defence, that was some horrible defending.

Deserved for Ecuador, they've been the better side so far. What a cross though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Brian Kerr is like an encyclopedia for foreign football, superb co-commentator

Mostly waffle. Names wrong half the time.

McDermotX wrote: »

At least he's trying to bring some research into it.

Many co-commentators just say what you have seen yourself.

Also, Ray Houghton is master of saying what a player shouldn't have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Missed the national anthems so I'm providing my own. :)

McDermotX wrote: »

That's because he throws a 'bleedin' into the middle of them.

'Shableedinquri'

I have never seen a goal in any game where people have said that the defending was good.

No, but sometimes the attack is so good there's nothing the defence can do, other times the defending is so poor it warrants comment. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Clark Carlisle, what an idiot.

"I saw a lot of Jackson Martinez in the Europa League this year and Ecuador have that good a squad he can't even get into the starting line up"

He's Colombian.

• Advertisement
Advertisement