Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sick of the Dublin Bashing

• 15-06-2014 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

Is Dublin a perfect city? No, absolutely not. Is there a social problem, or rather can there be at times, a social problem, particularly in the city centre, with beggars and junkies wandering round? Yes there can, I don't know why they put the methadone clinics so close to the city and thus the tourist spots, but there we are. Could the Gardai be doing more about this, and thus about anti social behaviour in Dublin? I've no doubt they could, but I'm sure the Gardai do the best job they can, bearing in mind what their instructions are, where they are told to go, etc.

Yet, none of this, adds to the perception of Dublin people in AH bang on about. You'd think it was a war zone, with gangs of armed criminals roaming the streets, and blood thirsty dogs chained up outside the Dail. Its terrible about say, that poor kid that got shot, I hope the guy gets whats coming to him. But this does not represent the whole of Dublin, or even that area of Dublin. Dublin is a fine city. If you don't go looking for trouble, you won't find it, same as anywhere in the world. I'd be interested to see how many people who slag Dublin actually live here, or in the areas they constantly spout ****e about, or how many base what they say on the news, and general hearsay.

TLDR - Dublin isn't perfect, but its not a **** hole either. Give a balanced opinion or shut up.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Isn't Dublin the second city of the Empire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

cloud493 wrote: »
    shut up.

Typical Dub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

Ya wha? Its a bledin rapid citey righ.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 NilesCrane

Dubliners are a different breed to the rest of Hibernia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Damn West Brits!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

TLDR - Dublin isn't perfect, but its not a **** hole either. Give a balanced opinion or shut up.

NO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

For some reason you guys can't manage to keep it in your regional forum, everything has to be posted in After Hours doesn't it? People from Belfast, Waterford, Cork, etc manage to keep their regional discussions in the regional forum but Dubs just can't manage that.

Jackeens, please use your regional forum. 3/4 of the country don't care about your regional matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Could be worse OP....We could be from Cavan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

No our news is just important than anywhere else's :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

I'd be interested to see how many people who slag Dublin actually live here, or in the areas they constantly spout ****e about, or how many base what they say on the news, and general hearsay.

Hmmm.........

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Ya Bleeeedin Whaa?

Ah here, leave it ouh

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Umadbrah?

The culchies are just jealous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I highly recommend this product or service :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Could be worse OP....We could be from Cavan.

Very True. It seems a number of Dublin Scumbags have decided Cavan is the new "Spayin" for those that cant actually go to Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

biko wrote: »
    For some reason you guys can't manage to keep it in your regional forum, everything has to be posted in After Hours doesn't it? People from Belfast, Waterford, Cork, etc manage to keep their regional discussions in the regional forum but Dubs just can't manage that.

Jackeens, please use your regional forum. 3/4 of the country don't care about your regional matters.
    That's some chip you have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

I was going to stick my neck out and say there's nothing wrong with Dublin but I'd be afraid of being shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

The city centre is a scummy kip and being Irish it annoys me that the first place and sometimes only place tourists see of our country is that kip of a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

A new and refreshing post about Dublin from Biko...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

I live in City centre, I walked out of work Wednesday and seen someone after OD and completely passed out with a needle alongside him. The day before I seen 2 guys injecting themselves and this is all alongside Tara Street Dart station. The sheer amount of junkie/pissheads allowed to do what they want in the city is disgraceful, until that problem is sorted it will be looked on as a pretty poor capital city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I would give this 5* but for problem with save button wrong colour. So I give it 4.5*. I love it. It's perfect. Next time I give 5*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Op, if you open a thread about dublin in AH, your going to get a bashing like this.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90854336&postcount=8

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Umadbrah? wrote: »
    The culchies are just jealous

No, its just the Dubs suddenly realising that they live in the Anus of Ireland while the rest of us have a, although humble, great, safe place to raise our kids and the only time we are reminded of our countries anus is when we see the D reg cars wandering aimlessly around Achill gawping at the sheep and the bikes on the Greenway and wondering why Achill is called an Island even though they didn't need a boat to get to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

AHH HERE, shut yer bleedin mouhh or ill shut yez up yez bleedin culchie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

The bulk of the threads started in AH about Dublin are people complaining about it soo.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

greenpilot wrote: »
    No, its just the Dubs suddenly realising that they live in the Anus of Ireland while the rest of us have a, although humble, great, safe place to raise our kids and the only time we are reminded of our countries anus is when we see the D reg cars wandering aimlessly around Achill gawping at the sheep and the bikes on the Greenway and wondering why Achill is called an Island even though they didn't need a boat to get to it.

:rolleyes:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/598763/310958.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

I'm from cork and I love Dublin, it's a class city, I'd actually rank it very high by European standards, up there with London and Berlin. The coast line is beautiful, some of the period houses are spectacular. Nightlife is good, loads of hot women, can get served until 6am. Very safe city with decent transport. Great value in resturants at the moment. The city is bulging with young people from all over the world. Get to go to the big GAA, soccer and rugby matches, the Aviva on a crisp sunny but cold morning is my magic. People give out about junkies but they're actually harmless for the most part, and I've worked in the Jame's so I've seen my share. Dublin people are sound, very open and chatty, always have good banter with the "real dubs" old lads driving taxis. I've friends from back home that think Dublin's a kip, but realistically they don't have a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Does about 3/4 of the country not live in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

The poor little Dubs don't like being bashed. Cork gets way more abuse on AH. We don't cry about it though. We just give it back. Given how ****e the rest of the country is thats not a hard thing to do either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's some chip you have
    Culchies, a well balanced folk, a chip on both shoulders.

Then again most of Dublin has been overrun with the buggers. We natives are getting restless. So if you weren't born between the canals and this goes for at least 3 generations back, if your great grannie wasn't on the roof of the GPO manning a Lewis gun/giving Mick Collins a roof for the night/Shagging same*, if you don't have some Viking/Norman blood, if you don't think Connemara Irish sounds like an asthmatic coughing up a clot, if you don't revere Beckett, Joyce and Behan and don't have a whiskey bloodened nose then please make your way to the outskirts in a calm group, while we rebuild the Pale behind you. Thank you for your time.

*though this would normally count as a mark agin ye, him being a fecking Cork boyo, in this case it's OK.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Wibbs wrote: »
    Culchies, a well balanced folk, a chip on both shoulders.

Then again most of Dublin has been overrun with the buggers. We natives are getting restless. So if you weren't born between the canals and this goes for at least 3 generations back, if your great grannie wasn't on the roof of the GPO manning a Lewis gun/giving Mick Collins a roof for the night/Shagging same*, if you don't have some Viking/Norman blood, if you don't think Connemara Irish sounds like an asthmatic coughing up a clot, if you don't revere Beckett, Joyce and Behan and don't have a whiskey bloodened nose then please make your way to the outskirts in a calm group, while we rebuild the Pale behind you. Thank you for your time.

*though this would normally count as a mark agin ye, him being a fecking Cork boyo, in this case it's OK.

Yeah, I'd say all the scobies in Dublin are big Joyce fans alright. I constantly hear Beckett quoted on the streets every time I visit Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

The poor little Dubs don't like being bashed. Cork gets way more abuse on AH. We don't cry about it though. We just give it back. Given how ****e the rest of the country is thats not a hard thing to do either.

Ahhh the typical self deprecating Corkman...even the ones with an inferiority complex think theyre JUST as good as everyone else ...like

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

boggers - understand this , Dublin is of national importance , but dont worry Biko - when dipsos , unemployed and aging British hippy's become of ANY importance , we will give you a shout - Galway will be top'o'list.

now back to the "regions" with ya - oh wait , its Sunday - so all the boggers will be heading back up to the hell hole that is Dublin - can never figure that one out , all the HATE - but yet its over run with cousin ****ers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

snubbleste wrote: »
    Isn't Dublin the second city of the Empire?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

pconn062 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd say all the scobies in Dublin are big Joyce fans alright. I constantly hear Beckett quoted on the streets every time I visit Dublin.

Please read Wibbs' post again.

And again a few more times until you understand why your retort makes no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

This thread gives me a sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Please read Wibbs' post again.

And again a few more times until you understand why your retort makes no sense.

Meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nuttin' that a small nuclear device couldn't fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 BarryLyndon

Isn't it all a bit o craic at the end of the day...

I, for one, welcome our miniature union flag/hang sandwich wielding overlords*

(*depending on your pov)

mike65 wrote: »
    Nuttin' that a small nuclear device couldn't fix.

Did somebody write that hilarious joke for you or did you think of it for yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

usersame wrote: »
    I'm from cork and I love Dublin, it's a class city

Corkonian loves Dublin? I'm guessing you're from Cork and probably on Meth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Ah biko, bitching about Dublin on after hours, what's new? Change the record, it's getting boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did somebody write that hilarious joke for you or did you think of it for yourself?

I taught of it meself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

dj jarvis wrote: »
    boggers - understand this , Dublin is of national importance , but dont worry Biko - when dipsos , unemployed and aging British hippy's become of ANY importance , we will give you a shout - Galway will be top'o'list.

now back to the "regions" with ya - oh wait , its Sunday - so all the boggers will be heading back up to the hell hole that is Dublin - can never figure that one out , all the HATE - but yet its over run with cousin ****ers ;)

Legendary post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I love Dublin. :) Lots of things to do, the people are (mostly) friendly and I can't say I've experienced many junkies hanging around the place. I'm from Cork, and I love that too, but I'm happy in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

BUD volunteers :D

The whole Dublin/country thing is just banter it shouldnt be taken seriously. Dublin has its problems but behind them all its a cool city. and we are all Irish no matter where you come from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Dublin gets an appropriate level of bashing. And it usually is fairly balanced, imho. I never hear people saying 'Dublin is the worst city in the world'.

UCDVet wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Dublin gets an appropriate level of bashing. And it usually is fairly balanced, imho. I never hear people saying 'Dublin is the worst city in the world'.

You should read more threads in here :pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Isn't it all a bit o craic at the end of the day...

It should be, but unfortunately people on both sides take it all too seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Zaph wrote: »
    It should be, but unfortunately people on both sides take it all too seriously.

No they don't!!!

What are you TALKING ABOUT??

heh :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement