Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sick of the Dublin Bashing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I like lots of places outside Dublin. Galway is the only one that wants immediate nuking because of its twee self regard and surfeit of smug hippy tossers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

anncoates wrote: »
    I like lots of places outside Dublin. Galway is the only one that wants immediate nuking because of its twee self regard and surfeit of smug hippy tossers.

Shur what about the Hipsters and their Vinyl walkmans in camden street and rathmines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Tobyglen wrote: »
    I live in City centre, I walked out of work Wednesday and seen someone after OD and completely passed out with a needle alongside him. The day before I seen 2 guys injecting themselves and this is all alongside Tara Street Dart station. The sheer amount of junkie/pissheads allowed to do what they want in the city is disgraceful, until that problem is sorted it will be looked on as a pretty poor capital city.
    I love Dublin, but I agree with the above too - in relation to parts of the city centre.
    The good eclipses the bad, for me though, and I really don't understand the vitriol. Seems like something people just say for the sake of it - as a highly-regarded album is called: bandwagonesque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Never understood the whole jackeen/culchie thing until I went travelling,country folk are what I'd call tribal if they're not slating you for being a dub,its someone from the next county over, if not them someone from the next town over from them such narrow small,mindedness.even in a city like Toronto with nearly 8 million inhabitants from all corners of the world asian ,Indians,Greeks,Italians who all integrate seamlessly the culchie still has to bring small town Ireland to big city Toronto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

beano345 wrote: »
    Never understood the whole jackeen/culchie thing until I went travelling,country folk are what I'd call tribal if they're not slating you for being a dub,its someone from the next county over, if not them someone from the next town over from them such narrow small,mindedness.even in a city like Toronto with nearly 8 million inhabitants from all corners of the world asian ,Indians,Greeks,Italians who all integrate seamlessly the culchie still has to bring small town Ireland to big city Toronto.

Ah, the travelled Dub. Only slightly less condescending than your average reformed smoker. Up there with your gobby dub mouthing at the bar in the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

It is a kip though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

cloud493 wrote: »
    TLDR - Dublin isn't perfect, but its not a **** hole either. Give a balanced opinion or shut up.

no no no, it's a Kip of epic proportions, just that Dubs are precious about their kip, if they could build a wall around the M50 and fill it with Water or even that muck Guiness they would be doing the rest of the country a favour (I ain't kidding either)

OP, it's upto you to prove otherwise, balanced opinion... Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

Is Dublin a better city than London?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Ah, the travelled Dub. Only slightly less condescending than your average reformed smoker. Up there with your gobby dub mouthing at the bar in the airport.

The travelled culchie:find the nearest Irish bar and make it your local,sit in the same seats week in week out and talk about the price of turnips back home,then sing your heart out about young willy mcbride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It's hard not to like Dublin. The first time I ever took a night bus was there and it was a mentally fun experience. If I hadn't been so feckin drunk I would have taken notes. Would make a great play. I loved that everyone thanked the bus driver on the way out. That is a rare thing outside of Ireland.

Yes Micky, thanking the bus Driver for not robbing them is unique...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

The Aussie wrote: »
    no no no, it's a Kip of epic proportions, just that Dubs are precious about their kip, if they could build a wall around the M50 and fill it with Water or even that muck Guiness they would be doing the rest of the country a favour (I ain't kidding either)

OP, it's upto you to prove otherwise, balanced opinion... Lol

So you don't live in Dublin. Therefore, have no knowledge to base this on.

Yes Micky, thanking the bus Driver for not robbing them is unique...

Wha? Is it a known problem that bus drivers rob people?

So you don't live in Dublin. Therefore, have no knowledge to base this on.

I did when I first moved here in 2001 and go there regularly, therefore I have firsthand knowledge to base this on...

Precious much?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Dublin is a great city to live in, most of the people who bash it dont live here so I dont think they are really in a position to have such strong opinions about it. Ive never had any trouble in the centre of the city or in any of the suburbs.Ive lived here all my life, Ive been in there late at night,Ive worked in all parts of the city, Im not a particularly big guy either but if you just have a bit of cop on I can almost guarantee youll have no trouble .

Dublin is a great place.

• Advertisement

Wha? Is it a known problem that bus drivers rob people?

Well the cost of Bus travel ain't cheap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Dublin has easily the most polite junkies in all of Europe. One even gave me directions once and didn't even ask for a needle in return.

I did when I first moved here in 2001 and go there regularly, therefore I have firsthand knowledge to base this on...

Precious much?

Out of date knowledge from a tourist perspective more or less.

Well the cost of Bus travel ain't cheap...

It was a fiver when I took it. Taxi would have been at least €25 +

I would have paid a tenner considering the entertainment I got the same night :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Just cause we are better ann :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

beano345 wrote: »
    The travelled culchie:find the nearest Irish bar and make it your local,sit in the same seats week in week out and talk about the price of turnips back home,then sing your heart out about young willy mcbride.

All true, except for Willie McBride. It's more Sean south :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Dublins great. Shure where else could we sell all our turf? And schticks? Them lads love a bit of firing.

Out of date knowledge from a tourist perspective more or less.

Nice attempted fob off...

I've lived in Ireland since 2001.
    I have lived there.
    I go there 10-15 times a year.

Once again, nice attempted fob off.

Precious much???

I go to Northern Ireland 20 times a year. Doesn't mean I know anything about the state of the place, means I see what I see in the 8 or so hours I spend there each time, plus the occasional weekend I spend there. Trying to claim I know it well enough to say if its a kip or not would make me sound like a twat. So I don't :)

Nice attempted fob off...

I've lived in Ireland since 2001.
    I have lived there.
    I go there 10-15 times a year.

Once again, nice attempted fob off.

Precious much???

Do me a favour will ya. Drop the "precious much" thing. It doesn't come across well.

The funny thing is, we all speak the same lingo, we mostly like doing the same crap and we certainly bitch about the same issues.

A grand bunch of lads :D

I go to Northern Ireland 20 times a year. Doesn't mean I know anything about the state of the place, means I see what I see in the 8 or so hours I spend there each time, plus the occasional weekend I spend there. Trying to claim I know it well enough to say if its a kip or not would make me sound like a twat. So I don't :)

Did I state how long I stay there for?

Fogging Technique only works if you have ground to stand on first.

You don't have to claim anything to be one BTW...

Oh your just talking ****e then. Fair enough :)

Mod

Ah lads, if it stops being fun we have to bin it. So, cop on please.

Do me a favour will ya. Drop the "precious much" thing. It doesn't come across well.

Granted, but being called a "Tourist" after living here since 2001 is a small bit condescending if not slightly biggoted.

A bit like "precious much" just slightly condescending....

Granted, but being called a "Tourist" after living here since 2001 is a small bit condescending if not slightly biggoted.

A bit like "precious much" just slightly condescending....

Let it go. It'll be grand.

I remembered another Dublin story. I was in a pub with a friend and we meet some American tourists. It was the middle of the day and a music session started. Some ould lad in the corner started to sing, the Americans chatted away normally and even stuck some money in the musicians jar. Afterward he csme up and gave them a pile of shyte. That's not cool. When I found out what was said we had words. He told me to "fcuk off". Fancy that :p

• Advertisement

What I find in Dublin that I never saw in Liverpool, beggars with good stories. Not just 'spare some change bud' but the ones who'd have a whole thing
    'ere mate, I need 20 euros to fill my van with petrol so i can drive me sistar to a hospital in newcastle, she's expecting any minute now and i have to catch the ferry. il post the money back to ya soon as we get home bud i swear'

I remembered another Dublin story.

I do to, my sister got mugged there...

I do to, my sister got mugged there...

My sister got mugged in London while at an ATM.

It's still probably the best city I ever lived in.

Your point is a weak one. Bad things happen everywhere.

My sister got mugged in London while at an ATM.

It's still probably the best city I ever lived in.

Your point is a weak one. Bad things happen everywhere.

But she has lived in Sydney, Melbourne, London, Cape Town and Dublin, it happened in Dublin, the thread is about Dublin, so not a weak point at all sorry, it might be against your thoughts/wishes but hard luck, if it happened in Dublin it's open for discussions on a Thread about Dublin.

BTW, hope your sister was OK afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

This party's over.....I'm going home....

This party's over.....I'm going home....

But we haven't played twister yet :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I give Dublin a fair old slagging but it really isn't the worst place you could visit.

I think the sheer volume of people you would see in the city can intimidate us boggers sometimes, but once we've tripped up a few people from behind and spat on a few lads backs as we're walking along its all forgotten about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

But she has lived in Sydney, Melbourne, London, Cape Town and Dublin, it happened in Dublin,.

That's just spreading the anecdotal basis of your point rather than correcting it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I've been to numerous cities in various parts of the world and Dublin is easily genuinely the worst of them all.

A horrible ****ing kip of a place with zero redeeming features. I dread having to go there for any reason. A garbage place filled with garbage people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Mod

Ah lads, if it stops being fun we have to bin it. So, cop on please.

It wasn't ever fun.

That's just spreading the anecdotal basis of your point rather than correcting it.

Your judicious quoting flaws your arguement, next time put in the whole quote to see how ridiculous your statement is, here it is for others benefit.
    the thread is about Dublin, so not a weak point at all sorry, it might be against your thoughts/wishes but hard luck, if it happened in Dublin it's open for discussions on a Thread about Dublin.

I feel like posting the precious much comment again TBH...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

dj jarvis wrote: »
    boggers - understand this , Dublin is of national importance , but dont worry Biko - when dipsos , unemployed and aging British hippy's become of ANY importance , we will give you a shout - Galway will be top'o'list.

now back to the "regions" with ya - oh wait , its Sunday - so all the boggers will be heading back up to the hell hole that is Dublin - can never figure that one out , all the HATE - but yet its over run with cousin ****ers ;)

Letting off steam is the best way to cope sumtimez babe. hear for you oxoxoxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Shouldn't this not be in the Dublin forum, as it seems to be an issue that only Dublin people would be concerned with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

It's hard not to like Dublin. The first time I ever took a night bus was there and it was a mentally fun experience. If I hadn't been so feckin drunk I would have taken notes. Would make a great play. I loved that everyone thanked the bus driver on the way out. That is a rare thing outside of Ireland.

I live in the south east of England - apparently full of miserable sods (to an extent I fully agree) - but this is one thing 99% of people do here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

"It's a kip" is a meaningless thing to say about Dublin. It may not be the size of London but it's still too big and varied for that assessment to have any substance whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

the_syco wrote: »
    Shouldn't this not be in the Dublin forum, as it seems to be an issue that only Dublin people would be concerned with?
    It's because it's mostly turf cutting welly wearing bog warriors(and Australians) who are giving Dublin all the stick. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Tbh, who gives a ****e what people think? I love it, it's my home, loved living in Dublin City as a student, always have a good time on a night out, love the auld Dubs, love how I always get talking to someone when I'm pottering around town when I'm home visiting, love the sense of humour. I'm very happy whenever I'm there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

pablo128 wrote: »
    It's because it's mostly turf cutting welly wearing bog warriors(and Australians) who are giving Dublin all the stick. :pac:

Yes, try to discredited your detractors instead of addressing why your city is an utter ****hole.

Hey, it isn't "that" bad. Something for all the Dublin-ites to be proud of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Yes, try to discredited your detractors instead of addressing why your city is an utter ****hole.

Hey, it isn't "that" bad. Something for all the Dublin-ites to be proud of.
    I'm guessing you live in, or near a bog. And wear wellies. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Ironically most of the Dublin 'scumbags'/'skangers' are only 1 or 2 generations removed from the countryside - even Bertie Ahern's parents were from rural Cork. They're largely descended from poor labourers / smallholders who were no longer needed when farming became mechanised

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement