Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sick of the Dublin Bashing

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

pablo128 wrote: »
    It's because it's mostly turf cutting welly wearing bog warriors(and Australians) who are giving Dublin all the stick. :pac:

i.e. Anyone outside the M50...

I still remember the Celtic Toiger (Tiger to the rest of us) joke of "How do you spot a Chlchie?"

They are the only ones looking up at a Helicopter...

Just sums up the place, full of pretentious wannabe's.

It's the, if it's everybody else and not you, who is to blame type question.

And just to prove a point...
    I'm guessing you live in, or near a bog. And wear wellies. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

The Aussie wrote: »
    i.e. Anyone outside the M50...

I still remember the Celtic Toiger (Tiger to the rest of us) joke of "How do you spot a Chlchie?"

There's no doubt, there's plenty of 3 series drivers going around Dublin wearing the shades, and with a cup of petrol station coffee in their paws.
    Just like there's plenty of idiots in the countryside with a big plot of land, with the faux Georgian mansion right in the middle of it, and an X5 outside.

You see, that's what you see when you drive through these places. You have to spend time there to see what it's really like.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Well, at least you're not making any sweeping generalisations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

I've been living in Dublin the past 5 years and I love it! There is some truly spectacular places in Dublin. The coastline from Howth all the way to Greystones is gorgeous on a lovely summers day. I think there's a good buzz in town at the weekends and plenty of decent museums/restaurants. There is so much to do and so much to see. You're close to everything and for me, even home isn't too far away on the motorway. I used to be like everyone else b*tching on here about how Dublin was X,Y & Z but my eyes have really been opened recently! I was out in Killiney park today, it was like being on holidays! We really don't appreciate what we have!!

I used to always give out about my home county too but recently I have began to notice how beautiful it can be. Yes, parts of Dublin city are unpleasant and even parts of my home county are unpleasant but I definitely think the good outweighs the bad.

Public transport and traffic problems get on my tits but you have to take the good with the bad. Honestly, we are so blessed with Ireland. So it rains from time to time, get over it and learn to dance in the rain. So we have anti-social problems, what city doesn't?

This is coming from someone currently rocking a serious farmers tan. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

There's no doubt, there's plenty of 3 series drivers going around Dublin wearing the shades, and with a cup of petrol station coffee in their paws.
    Just like there's plenty of idiots in the countryside with a big plot of land, with the faux Georgian mansion right in the middle of it, and an X5 outside.

You see, that's what you see when you drive through these places. You have to spend time there to see what it's really like.

Yeah **** those guys.

Much better to live in Dublin where you can get carjacked, mugged, generally harassed by some human feces or possibly accidentally shot by some scummer.

An X5, i ask you. What is this bumpkin thinking :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Just sums up the place, full of pretentious wannabe's

That's your opinion. Look, if Dublin didn't suit you, so be it, you tried it, you didn't like it, move on. I knock around with lots of Aussie and kiwis that simply love the place, they make good use of it, they bought or rent in nice areas, they sail (kiwis mainly) in the bay, spend their weekends on the beaches and in the parks, go to the early birds for good food, rear their families, work hard, do what people do... enjoy, make the best of life.

If your happy where you are now bang away on your keyboard about how wonderful wherever it is you are now! You're stressing out here, take a breath and post positive dude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

But that's only a segment of the population of Dublin.
    Weird to be so focused on the bad, which is the minority. Seems very resentful or something.

Much better to live in Dublin where you can get carjacked, mugged, generally harassed by some human feces or possibly accidentally shot by some scummer.
    Yeh, that happens to everyone in Dublin all the time... :confused:

Why is countryside pretentious ok but Dublin pretentious not ok?

Yeah **** those guys.

You're right. What are they thinking? They should have built the house to the front or side and they'd be able to fcuking do something with the bit of land instead of sitting on a mower for 2 hours every fortnight.

And X5's are sh1te.

So Spanners are universal, nothing new there.

I think I've spent enough time there to form a opinion, unless you want to imply that because I'm a foreigner I'm a "Tourist" type Biggoted attitude, that's been coverd earlier in the thread if you missed it, sad really.
    If not my apologies for jumping the gun.

• Advertisement

So Spanners are universal, nothing new there.
    So why the focus on Dublin ones as if they're unique?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    If your happy where you are now bang away on your keyboard about how wonderful wherever it is you are now! You're stressing out here, take a breath and post positive dude!

I don't need to bang away how good it is where I live my friend, if I've chosen to live here so it speaks volumes about the place, I just love how precious Dubs are and how poorly they take criticism, reminds me of when I was a Teenager.

Magaggie wrote: »
    So why the focus on Dublin ones as if they're unique?

You might have missed the title during your faux constination, it's about Dublin...

anyway, some of us actually have to work tomorrow, enjoy the outrage.

faux constination
    You've read my mind wrongly - I don't feel any consternation, but my differing of view to you is not faux, and don't take such umbrage with it. This is a discussion board, it's what happens.

There's no outrage (a constantly misused word), people are just disagreeing with childish tarring of them.

I think I've spent enough time there to form a opinion, unless you want to imply that because I'm a foreigner I'm a "Tourist" type Biggoted attitude, that's been coverd earlier in the thread if you missed it, sad really.
    If not my apologies for jumping the gun.
    I've travelled the world and have nothing against anyone, no offence implied or intended. But seriously there are far far worse places to spend time in Ireland. Personally as a petrol head, I have the mountains 5 minutes away from me. As a worker, I have easy access to work. As a parent, I have almost
    unlimited activities for my 5 yr old to participate in all year round.

To balance things a bit, My family have had a place in Wexford for over 25 years, so I have spent a large chunk of my summers there over the years. I'm not a 'bogger hater' by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I don't need to bang away how good it is where I live my friend.

Well, again, sorry it didn't work out for you! Just spent a day in the bay with the kids a pod of dolphins, picked up some cheap fresh oysters and monk fish cheeks for the BBQ on the way home, we had nice bottle of wine and off to bed, nice cycle to work in the morning... Excellent weekend in the capital!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

'Argh my county is the best'

'Rabble rabble no way mine is by the far the best'

It's nation of less than 5 million, get a grip lads we ain't that different.

Except Cavan, a breed unto themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Yeah **** those guys.

Cos bad things only happen in Dublin :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

anncoates wrote: »
    I like lots of places outside Dublin. Galway is the only one that wants immediate nuking because of its twee self regard and surfeit of smug hippy tossers.

Please do us a favour and stay in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

The Dublin trap.

- young person moves up to Dublin from cork/Kerry wherever, works 9-5, does nothing on weekday evenings aside from maybe a game of 5 aside, gets locked every Friday and Saturday on harcourt street with mates from home that also live in Dublin. Feeling guilty every now and again gets dart to howth for a sober but very hungover sunday activity posts picture to Facebook eating ice cream. Continue for 5-10 years, thinks Dublin is boring and feels sorry for self for not having a girlfriend. The Dublin trap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

This is why we can't have nice things.

Some of you are so petty you can't even see it.
    The rest of us can though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement