Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV tuner for PC and/or Mac?

Options
  • 15-06-2014 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi guys, sorry if this is the wrong section, but I'm looking for a TV tuner that I can use on my PC and/or my Mac. Mac would be preferable, but its not essential. It would have to be external (USB) for the Mac, but it can be Internal or External for the PC since its a desktop.

I basically want to be able to watch TV on my computer because buying a computer monitor/using my laptop in college is much cheaper than buying a TV.

Also, what software will I need?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Do you realise that a TV tuner will basically only let you view the Irish channels?
    Like a TV with a "rabbit ears" aerial used too ?

I've a USB TV tuner I bought, and depending on what side of the house I was on could pick up the digital channels from 3 Rock transmitter.

If you're up north/near the border you may pick up the English channels.

But technically, you still need a TV license for a laptop with a TV tuner.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Flora5

Do you realise that a TV tuner will basically only let you view the Irish channels?
    Like a TV with a "rabbit ears" aerial used too ?

I've a USB TV tuner I bought, and depending on what side of the house I was on could pick up the digital channels from 3 Rock transmitter.

If you're up north/near the border you may pick up the English channels.

But technically, you still need a TV license for a laptop with a TV tuner.

I'll be staying in a place where the Landlord pays the TV licence and there is an ariel socket in the room. I was hoping that would do the trick. The basic Saor View channels will do me grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Basic USB DVB-T is what you're looking for, so. Onto ebay with you. I'd say less than a tenner delivered will do the trick. Just check for mac compatibility.

Advertisement