Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How physically fit are you?

• 15-06-2014 4:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Around a year ago I would have classed myself as being above average in terms of fitness. 6ft 1', 12% body fat and reasonable cardiovascular fitness ( I could jog 7k on grass easily).

However, the final year of college coupled with work led to me pretty much abandoning exercise and eating healthily. Definitely gained at least 20 lbs by staying late in the college library, eating junk sugary foods for energy and rarely exercising. Also got into the habit of ordering Dominos because I was too tired to cook and drinking coke.

When I sit down for a dump I have a mini belly hanging down. My face looks ever so slightly roundish when before I had kind of pointy features.

A couple of weeks before the final exams I jogged up a few flights of stairs and my whole life passed before my eyes. Was in a heap by the time I got to the top floor. :pac: :o Also ran for a bus and felt like this.

I set up a Google doc spreadsheet to track progress for a new exercise plan. Going strong for a week now but still panting like a bulldog after 3k. Haven't had any unhealthy food in weeks, not a drop of drink and keeping carbs to a minimum.

So I hope to be back to my old self within a couple of months. But I found it amazing how in only a few short months of not exercising and eating like crap due to being busy, the human body just becomes this untrained, uncoordinated, sweaty mess that's only happy at the sight of an elevator leading into a KFC with no queue.

How fit are the folks of AH? Any experiences of looking in the mirror, clutching a belly and thinking "look at you, ye fat bastard"?? :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Probably one of the most disgusting posts I've read in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Same here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I can jog 10k a day. I lost a lot of weight over the last 5 years. I used to be very unfit, but now thanks to swimming/running/the gym, I'm pretty fit. Now I quit smoking, I'm hoping to get even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

You mustn't read that many posts :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

You mustn't read that many posts

The constant references to disgusting foodstuffs, toilet for a "dump", meh, the whole thing stinks of neckbeard playing computer games during college season...yuck.

• Advertisement

Another sheeple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

The constant references to disgusting foodstuffs, toilet for a "dump", meh, the whole thing stinks of neckbeard playing computer games during college season...yuck.

Jesus... little sensitive, aren't we? :confused:

Don't post here again then please.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

I am extremely fit. I am strong, athletic and i look good.

You're very easily disgusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Once I was Argentina,but as I age I am becoming more like Brazil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Very unfit at the moment. I've been on medication which has caused me to balloon. Have gained 20 pounds in 9 months with the same diet as before. I'm expecting to drop it pretty quick when I come off them and my metabolism returns to normal. I feel my weight gain is beginning to show on my face, it is very upsetting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

I'm well fit.

Innit.

Very unfit at the moment. I've been on medication which has caused me to balloon. Have gained 20 pounds in 9 months with the same diet as before. I'm expecting do drop it pretty quick when I come off them and my metabolism returns to normal. I feel my weight gain is beginning to show on my face, it is very upsetting.

Probably where I noticed it first when shaving - and it's the one part thats always on public display.

Not to worry. I'd say you'll be able to drop the excess within a short space of time if it's medication causing it - a return to your normal metabolism will likely do most of the work itself coupled with a little exercise!

I am at an alright level. I could do with eating better, drinking less, and weighing a few pounds less definitely. I'm able to run 5km easily. I can run 10km but it will hurt. In three months I need to be able to run 21km without dying. I was great at lifting weights until late last year, but I haven't done much of that lately.

This week I'm starting a new training plan and need to make sure my diet is spot on. I love food too much.

I am at an alright level. I could do with eating better, drinking less, and weighing a few pounds less definitely. I'm able to run 5km easily. I can run 10km but it will hurt. In three months I need to be able to run 21km without dying. I was great at lifting weights until late last year, but I haven't done much of that lately.

This week I'm starting a new training plan and need to make sure my diet is spot on. I love food too much.

I've found this to be one of the better aspect of giving up junk food. I'm teaching myself how to actually cook decent meals instead of just popping some frozen pizza and chips in the oven for 20 minutes.

Dean0088 wrote: »
    I've found this to be one of the better aspect of giving up junk food. I'm teaching myself how to actually cook decent meals instead of just popping some frozen pizza and chips in the oven for 20 minutes.

I can cook good food quite well, it's more the crisps and biscuits I'd have to keep an eye on, and bringing lunch with me to work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I cycle 120km a week. I do 2 hour weights a week. Don't really drink and don't smoke.

My kryptonite? Dominos pizza :(

I can jog 13k or I could before the flu a few weeks ago anyway, and I love lifting

Could eat better but I'll get there

I've gone to seed in the space of a few weeks. First I was sick, then I was moving, so I didn't get my regular swim and jog in, and my muscle tone is appreciably diminished. I haven't gained weight, but it's obvious my fitness has been on the slide.

Getting organised to redress the situation this week though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Very unphysically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I'd be fairly fit, certainly fitter than I've ever been before. 3+ hours of cardio along with 4+ hours of weights a week ensure that I am the envy of every man, and the desire of every woman. Very impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

I'm not the fittest person in the World. I'm 2 stone overweight and riddled with ****ty injuries.

It's all relative tbh, I'd be fit for some things and not fit for others.

I'm not fit enough to win a high jump, I'm not fit enough to win an egg and spoon race, I'm not fit enough to get into size 32 waist jeans.

Some days I can do a 10km run in under 50 minutes, sometimes it will take me 57 minutes. Some weeks I can clock up 100km running. I can walk long distance over rough terrain with 50kg of kit. Last year I could bench 112kg.....but I'm fit enough to keep going even though I'd be fcuked.

We can all be fitter.

I'd be fairly fit, certainly fitter than I've ever been before. 3+ hours of cardio along with 4+ hours of weights a week ensure that I am the envy of every man, and the desire of every woman. Very impressive.

Well your tagline fits! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

bluewolf wrote: »
    I can jog 13k or I could before the flu a few weeks ago anyway, and I love lifting

Could eat better but I'll get there

You are fitter than me! Well done! :)

I ran a 10 K last year.

I don't think I could pop out the door and do it now though.

I can run 3- 5 miles. I can dance for hrs!

Pity about the personality though. I'd say that puts them all off the second you speak. :(

Everything Frada said is true, I'd ride him with the lights on.

Everything Frada said is true, I'd ride him with the lights on.

Sure, but you would probably get up on a cut ditch.

I'm not the fittest person in the World. I'm 2 stone overweight and riddled with ****ty injuries.

It's all relative tbh, I'd be fit for some things and not fit for others.

I'm not fit enough to win a high jump, I'm not fit enough to win an egg and spoon race, I'm not fit enough to get into size 32 waist jeans.

Some days I can do a 10km run in under 50 minutes, sometimes it will take me 57 minutes. Some weeks I can clock up 100km running. I can walk long distance over rough terrain with 50kg of kit. Last year I could bench 112kg.....but I'm fit enough to keep going even though I'd be fcuked.

We can all be fitter.

Maybe it's the diet keeping the extra pounds on and not the lack of exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I am in fairly good shape. I started building from 5ks to 10ks to half marathons and then after marathons, I started running ultra marathons (50ks, 50 mile, 100 mile races). I do have to watch my weight, although I am an okay 135lbs (5' 7"), I was in dangerously low (119lbs) a few winters back and in a bad place mentally, running can take over sometimes and I had other things to deal with. No more waking up groggy and cranky now though, I have energy to get through the day. Finally found something I enjoy, I can go travel and run as well, so take in my favourite hobbies. I played GAA at school but never really enjoyed it that much (more pressure from being in a GAA family).

<3 FCL, run ya divil ya. :)

Sure, but you would probably get up on a cut ditch.

Yeah but Frada pays well!

Pity about the personality though. I'd say that puts them all off the second you speak. :(

Jealousy is a terrible thing. If you need any advice on being the best you can be, just give me a shout. As an aspirational figure, it's the least I can do.

Not overly fit at the moment. Gave up all exercise for a few months due to working late most days and the days I wasn't I wanted to relax.

I was fairly fit and lost a good bit of weight 2 years ago but looking back I wouldn't be pushed to put the effort in (and stop eating nice food) to get back there again so I'll probably settle for something in between, get back into swimming once or twice a week and maybe a 5k jog or a game of squash another evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

it's more the crisps and biscuits I'd have to keep an eye on, and bringing lunch with me to work!

Easy solution...

Don't buy them! The only time I feel like junk is night time. If they're not in the gaff, they won't be in me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I work a very variable shift pattern and as a result have been in a state of semi exhaustion for the last 5/6 years so exercise has been neglected. Bit of a gut going on and I would be in a bad way if I had to run 5k. Decent upper body bulk via genes rather than pumping iron. Blood pressure and sugars are normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I work a very variable shift pattern and as a result have been in a state of semi exhaustion for the last 5/6 years so exercise has been neglected. Bit of a gut going on and I would be in a bad way if I had to run 5k.

And if you had to roll 5k?

:)

endacl wrote: »
    Easy solution...

Don't buy them! The only time I feel like junk is night time. If they're not in the gaff, they won't be in me.

Am the same. Would come in the door close to midnight, scoff a load of biscuits and go to sleep. :o

Maybe it's the diet keeping the extra pounds on and not the lack of exercise.

Ah it is and I know that, I'm not looking to be ripped and have -10% body fat. If I did want that, I'd have that.

Being fit doesn't equal being skinny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

And if you had to roll 5k?

:)
    Thats not how I roll

Jealousy is a terrible thing. If you need any advice on being the best you can be, just give me a shout. As an aspirational figure, it's the least I can do.

Thanks, I'll be sure to do that. For someone so great, you are also very magnanimous. Kudos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I eat whatever I want and I never exercise. I've never been to a gym and I can't remember the last time I ran or participated in any kind of sport (it would have been long before I was a teenager anyway - I refused to participate in PE in secondary school). In fact, faced with the choice between running for a bus and waiting an hour for the next one, I'd choose the latter option every time. Especially if there's somewhere that sells cakes nearby.

I'm as fit as I need to be. I don't smoke, I don't drink and I'm not overweight. I feel completely healthy (apart from the shooting pains in my left arm and chest).

Easy solution...

I don't buy crap for in my house. It'd be very rare to find a packet of crisps or biscuits in my cupboard. I eat them at lunch in work, or in the pub. It's s about willpower - something which I lack when food is involved!

Thanks, I'll be sure to do that. For someone so great, you are also very magnanimous. Kudos.

No problem. My door is always open. :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I shed about 2.5 stone in 2012 and have been feeling quite a bit better for it. Unfortunately, since I moved down here I've dropped the exercise. There's a Virgin Active beside work looking for £72 a month just for a basic membership. The Uni gym's not great but I might just suck it up. Dropping bread was one of the smartest things I've ever done.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I shed about 2.5 stone in 2012 and have been feeling quite a bit better for it. Unfortunately, since I moved down here I've dropped the exercise. There's a Virgin Active beside work looking for £72 a month just for a basic membership. The Uni gym's not great but I might just suck it up. Dropping bread was one of the smartest things I've ever done.

Local park and a few body weight exercises? I had a gym in college but couldn't stand the place - felt like a mouse on a wheel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Local park and a few body weight exercises? I had a gym in college but couldn't stand the place - felt like a mouse on a wheel.

Might be a good idea... There is one of the Uni gyms which is quite a bit nicer and much better value.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I'm gaining fitness. I started exercise / weight loss in January (stereotypical New Years resolutions) and have more or less stuck to it. Before I couldn't run for a bus, now I can comfortably run 2 km and steadily increasing the distance slowly but surely. I've knocked off ~8 mins for a 1km swim which I can now do in just under 19 mins. I've lost just over 26 kg, and I have more to lose, but I'm heading in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

I was very muay thai fit then I met my wife. 70kg turned into 96kg after 8 years.
    She's a fussy eater doesn't like veg, loves cheese, and crap food in general. I work she looks after the home.
    I lost all motivation to be healthier cos every time I try she gets a large pizza, Chinese or some **** like that.
    But according to her its my own fault, cos I give in, and I say to her "your dead right!"
    It's hard to motivate yourself unless your young and single.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I have an ok level of fitness. I love running, walking, cycling and swimming.

I'm far from slim, so need to be consistent with clean eating and stop what I'm doing now, which is eating well during the week and eating EVERYTHING at the weekends.

Lucyfur wrote: »
    I have an ok level of fitness. I love running, walking, cycling and swimming.

Go way out of that you're mad fit!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement