Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How physically fit are you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

bluewolf wrote: »
    Go way out of that you're mad fit!!

Ah not really...could try harder!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I can do half marathons with relative ease. I'm 100kg, so I've a lot more pressure on the joints than the other whippets doing the 21km ;)

Just back from doing a 2km open water swim.

So over all I'd say I'm pretty fit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I used to workout six days a week - not super serious about it, I'd lift 3x and jog the other days. Had a home gym with proper weights/squat rack/bench....it was great. That was 6 or 7 years ago; it's been a slow and steady decline since then. I was never much of a runner, but my last 10k time was just under 44 minutes and my max bench was 110kg (I was just under 80kg myself). Nothing to brag about, but better than average.

The last time I tried to run a mile, I couldn't finish, lol.

The cost of gyms in Dublin is insane and the quality leaves a lot to be desired. I looked at joining but eh, I couldn't justify the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

I'm mad fit. Do a marathon pretty much every week.
    Last week it was Rocky, this week it's Game of Thrones and I think next week it'll be Suits.

UCDVet wrote: »
    I used to workout six days a week. Had a home gym with proper weights/squat rack/bench....it was great. That was 6 or 7 years ago; it's been a slow and steady decline since then. I was never much of a runner, but my last 10k time was just under 44 minutes and my max bench was 110kg (I was just under 80kg myself). Nothing to brag about, but better than average.

The last time I tried to run a mile, I couldn't finish, lol.

The cost of gyms in Dublin is insane and the quality leaves a lot to be desired. I looked at joining but eh, I couldn't justify the price.

179 for 16 months in Ben Dunne, 30 euro a month for flye fit.

Far from expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

I'm normally as fit as a butcher's dog, can can run a sub-4 marathon or sub 1.40 half without trouble, bench 150kg and squat 200, or turn out for a rugby team and play a decent game, but now that I'm in my 40's I find every little injury becomes a long layoff and the road back gets harder each time. My body has aged quicker than my head unfortunately and now I can't get out of an armchair without making a little noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I am very fit, I don't put weight on due to a fast metabolism, stuck at 67kg weight. I eat healthy food with some not so healthy food thrown in. Don't drink but I love tea - no sugar.
    I get lots of exercise with my work, and can run up the steep hills around here no problem.

But who knows, one could still drop dead tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Fit enough to swim 2 miles or going on a 10 mile hike without feeling wrecked afterwards.

But still morbidly obese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I'm not unfit but I wouldn't say I'm fit. I play kicketty ball three times a week and get a good sweat out of it. I need to lose about a stone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I can usually make the stairs in one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

ted1 wrote: »
    179 for 16 months in Ben Dunne, 30 euro a month for flye fit.

Far from expensive

I suppose expensive is a relative term :)
    I'm kind of poor.

I've been to two FlyeFits in Dublin, looked at the gym, the number of people during peak times, the price, and compared it to what I was used to in the past....and I couldn't justify the cost.

I get that Dublin is an expensive city, so maybe it's not fair to compare. But the last gym I went to cost me ~10 euro but was nearly twice the size of the Macken Street FlyeFit. And it had parking, so I'd just drive up, work out, and go home.

But yeah, for me, it's a tough sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Completed a sprint triathlon today, training for an Olympic distance one in August and a half marathon in September. Pretty fit in general, but could stand to lose a few pounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I'm pretty fit. Could bash out 8 miles with 25kg on my back in about 80 minutes easily, can do those 'elite' crossfit workouts no issues, only thing I lack is that whole powerlifting thing, which I've gone off completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rafa05

I'm in pretty good shape can run 10k in under 36 mins

Completed a sprint triathlon today, training for an Olympic distance one in August and a half marathon in September. Pretty fit in general, but could stand to lose a few pounds.

Deadly, well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

I'm in reasonable shape I think. I do a fair amount of exercise - running, lifting weights, ab exercises and all that. I probably could be 10lbs lighter if I put my mind to it but I like chocolate too much. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Haven't been playing football for a few months so gone to seed a bit. I'm finding it quite hard to find time for regular exercise with work, kids and other commitments.. I'm going to have to start looking at morning and lunchtime exercise and get back into it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Im a "let's camp here and go for the summit in the morning" kinda guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fat to ripped

Incredibly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I'm not terribly fit at all. I don't get any enjoyment from exercise or sport, so I don't do them. But I do walk the dog!

I feel okay though. Not skinny, not fat. I'm well able to stay on my feet all day at work, which is pretty active, so I don't feel any need to exercise really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I'm not terribly fit at all. I don't get any enjoyment in exercise or sport, so I don't do them. But I do walk the dog!

I feel okay though. Not skinny, not fat. I'm well able to stay on my feet all day at work, which is pretty active, so I don't feel any need to exercise really.

That's the thing some people need to exercise alot more than others depending on their job.

Being on your feet during work Is alot different to sitting on a chair all day

I have a wall chart calendar poster thing now to log my exercise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

That's the thing some people need to exercise alot more than others depending on their job.

Being on your feet during work Is alot different to sitting on a chair all day

I have a wall chart calendar poster thing now to log my exercise

Yeah, like when I get home after a busy shift I'm physically wrecked. I'd love to wear a pedometer rto work to see if it counts as a workout :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

Go to the gym about 3-4 times a week but I can't seem to stick to a food plan. I've far too much of a sweet tooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Being fit doesn't equal being skinny.

This is very true! In our line of work there will be guys who have 10-15 years on me and 5 stone and they could out run me everyday.

I haven't done much cardio lately but I could do a 5 mile run if I had to. I wouldn't be breaking any records but I'd do it. Being stubborn can be the best thing when it comes to exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Weight training 5/6 times a week and I do insanity workout another 5/6 times a week, plus 5 a side and 11 a side soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Snacking on bad food is the enemy of fitness, I find.

Being stubborn can be the best thing when it comes to exercise.

So many people lack this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Yeah, like when I get home after a busy shift I'm physically wrecked. I'd love to wear a pedometer rto work to see if it counts as a workout :P

this is a big problem for me...as due to my rather insane work schedule at the min (70+ hours last week:cool:) all spent on my feet in a relavtively heavy/manual job I do be just fit for bed come the end of the week

that being said...ive given up eating chips/pizza and fizzy drinks....not due to being overweight as such.. just that I used feel like crap after it....best thing I ever done....now if I could just even fit a jog in 2 or 3 evenings a week and give up the white bread (going trying brown a few days next week) id be away with it...I hope so anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

You mustn't read that many posts :)[/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Probably one of the most disgusting posts I've read in a long time.

It was well written & funny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Dean0088 wrote: »
    ran for a bus and felt like this.

That's really funny. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Fit enough.........to partay.

Ah no, reasonably fit. Can run a 10k no problemo and do hikes in excess of 15/20k. Play a good bit of badminton. Not skinny though but more do to with a medical issue I'm having at the moment than anything else. Not particularly fat either. I'm an inbetweeny, have to watch what I eat. On a cut at the moment, 2 kilos down so far. Wooo.

maguic24 wrote: »
    Fit enough.........to partay.

Ah no, reasonably fit. Can run a 10k no problemo and do hikes in excess of 15/20k. Play a good bit of badminton. Not skinny though but more do to with a medical issue I'm having at the moment than anything else. Not particularly fat either. I'm an inbetweeny, have to watch what I eat. On a cut at the moment, 2 kilos down so far. Wooo.

More people should go hiking, great way to keep active. Those 20km, although they may take from 4 to 5 hours and not that intense, they are pretty much a whole day of NOT BEING ON A SOFA WATCHING NETFLIX OR IN A PUB EATING SHYT FOOD, which is where a lot of fatties fall down :p

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KD11

Slowly getting there. Saw the scales go to the wrong side of 18st after christmas:eek:. I'm 6.2 so i could carry a lot of weight and not look huge but it was getting ridiculous at that stage. Down to 14.6st at the moment with another stone to go. Starting out I could barely do 4k 2 or 3 times a week. Doing 8k 6 days a week now and loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭MiloDublin

I rejoined the gym two months ago after a 5 year break. I cannot believe how quickly I gained an improvement in overall fitness. I do weights and the x-trainer and the main positive is when I'm walking around the city, I notice my stride is a lot stonger and I am not tiring easily.
    I can't understand with all the desk work why everybody doesn't give themselves this chance.

Remember folks there's a huge difference between a six pack and a skinny pack. Just because people are skinny doesn't make them fit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭urabell

12 stone, 12% bodyfat and falling.

Cardio lacking but most likely just have high standards.

Remember folks there's a huge difference between a six pack and a skinny pack. Just because people are skinny doesn't make them fit

Don't be jealous.... fatty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Karl Stein wrote: »
    That's really funny. :)

I almost wet myself at that...

• Advertisement

"Abs on a skinny guy is like massive boobs on a fat girl" springs to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I have excess weight due to being on medication that increases your appetite and slows down your metabolism but keeps you happy. So it's a case of feel normal with extra weight or be suicidal and skinny. I have opted for the first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭urabell

Every man should be able to do 20 chins, bench, squat and overhead press their bodyweight, leap a 5 foot fence with one hand and dig themselves a grave without being out of breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

discus wrote: »
    More people should go hiking, great way to keep active. Those 20km, although they may take from 4 to 5 hours and not that intense, they are pretty much a whole day of NOT BEING ON A SOFA WATCHING NETFLIX OR IN A PUB EATING SHYT FOOD, which is where a lot of fatties fall down :p

It really depends on the ascent, some of them can be intense enough and some of them can be quite tame. I love it.

urabell wrote: »
    Every man should be able to do 20 chins, bench, squat and overhead press their bodyweight, leap a 5 foot fence with one hand and dig themselves a grave without being out of breath.

Easy! All apart from the 20 chins is child's play for most surely

urabell wrote: »

Out of all the items listed the 5 ft leap may be the only one some what related to fitness.

Strength to weight ratio comes into to it and strength is not related to fitness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Not fit at all really, a bit better than I used to be from cycling everywhere. I'm going to frigging run in the morning or something...... This could just be one of those bursts of energy that doesn't materialise...

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Out of all the items listed the 5 ft leap may be the only one some what related to fitness.

Strength to weight ratio comes into to it and strength is not related to fitness.

"Fitness" is not purely cardiovascular. Strength is absolutely related to fitness in that they are one and the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I'm extremely fit. I've always been a sporty sort, and find exercise a wonderful way of starting the day and also as a way of unwinding after a long day at work. It's as much a mental workout as a physical one.

Rise early, so usually go for a 8-12km run. Find that works best, but sometimes mix it up with a spinning session or time on the cross-trainer. Much prefer getting outside to hit the tarmac though. Early morning is a wonderful time.

After work is a swim, core workout or a cycle. Weekends invariably involve cross-country skiing during the winter, with spring, summer and autumn weekends taken up with mountain biking, some triathlons (I struggle slightly with my swimming stroke) or hiking.

I live in Germany and there is a much more grounded approach to exercise and fitness here. It may be the practical nature of the Germans but there is much more emphasis on going out and doing exercise, as opposed to the Irish obsession with blindly following the latest diet fad. So my German friends eat bread, potatoes, meat and dairy and tend to look amazing. This contrasts with heading back to Ireland and seeing overweight people obsess over the paleo diet and giving out about the evils of having potatoes with their dinner. Complete nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

They are all related to fitness to be fair, part upper/lower body strength and part endurance. Chin ups are my favourite thing to do at the gym :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I used to be very fit. Been going downhill since I started a desk job. Always worked in hotels before so was always on my feet. Also when I lived at home (Killarney) I did way more exercise. My friends at home are much more into keeping fit and we would often climb mountains and go for really long walks very frequently. In college I used to train in Taekwondo 3 times a week...finished college in May :/

Now I live in a city and work at a computer all day. Which is no excuse really. I live near a park. We have a gym at work. Actually went for a run there a few days ago...did about 3K and felt like dying..I blame the slight heat :o

I never have any trouble staying thin though...but I still must get fit again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement