Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How physically fit are you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

That stuff rightly pïsses me off. Every time I go to change the water cooler bottle thing at work I get "what are you doing that's too heavy for you omg you're gonna break every bone in your body lifting that wait for a man to do it".

Eh....no. No I won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Sauve wrote: »
    That stuff rightly pïsses me off. Every time I go to change the water cooler bottle thing at work I get "what are you doing that's too heavy for you omg you're gonna break every bone in your body lifting that wait for a man to do it".

Eh....no. No I won't.

Ah well you are wile delicate and all

danniemcq wrote: »
    Ah well you are wile delicate and all

Only in the head m'dear, delicate in the head...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

Arbitrary poppycock.

And love the poster who has obviously never done any of it saying they 'must be child's play'.

Bodyweight OHP alone is a feat requiring considerable training.

Obviously never done any of that? I've done pretty much everything there, although I can't get past 16 chin ups.
    And digging a grave never appealed to me.

To be fair I mostly referred to the squat and the bench. I could do both of them with my body weight the first day I walked into a gym.

OHP is relatively hard in comparison but I wouldn't say it needs considerable training at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'm out of shape :o
    But it sucks because if i scroll back the clock 5 years ago to when I was going to the gym alot. I could run down the road to catch a bus without breaking a sweat. Fit as a fiddle.

I want old me back :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

desultory wrote: »

OHP is relatively hard in comparison but I wouldn't say it needs considerable training at all

Bodyweight OHP is amazing for anyone who isn't an e-statting internet bull**** artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

A couple of years ago i was pretty unfit, overweight (16st @ 6"3), not massively overweight, but i had a burgeoning double chin and a flabby belly. Final straw was when out walkign in Malahide Castle gardens i tried to do a pullup on the exercise bars that are scattered around the gardens. I couldnt do one.
    I said i cant be doing with this, joined a boxing class, got my ass kicked twice a week til the point i felt like vomiting after every session...ended up dropping over 4 stone, gained a ****load of muscle, and can do plenty of pullups now :D Im in better shape now than i was in my 20s. Good cardiovascular fitness, and learnt how to box, which will come in handy should Muhammad Ali ever come out of retirement and ask for a scrap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I can knock out a good few pullups and pushups but my running speed is woeful. I'm much more content to shuffle along for miles while not going fast.:D I'm training for a half marathon and when that's done I want to do a full marathon. Rock climbing also looks like gas craic I'd like to get into some of that in the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Eh....no. No I won't.

Malibu Stacy Doll: Now let's talk this over a nice big bowl of strawberry ice cream...
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Patww79 wrote: »

This is simply not true in the majority of gyms, and just makes no sense. If that was the case then most gyms would be empty and this is patently not the way it is.

Gyms up and down the country are filled with 'average joes'. Very few people outside of dedicated bodybuilding gyms are in super 'Adonis' type nick.

Looks like a bit of an excuse not to go imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

How would you maintain that though? If the gym is doing its job then Average Joe eventually becomes Adonis. What do you do then, kick him out? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

"Do you even lift" is a perfectly fine question to ask in a gym, if only to find out just what you're doing in there.

Sure thing. But you clearly have no idea what your talking about.

Even 90% BW is a commendable lift requiring a level of strength far outside what the average person possesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

Bodyweight OHP is amazing for anyone who isn't an e-statting internet bull**** artist.

More than willing to meet with anyone who's doubting it. You'd swear I was claiming 3xBW deadlift for reps or something.

More than willing to meet with anyone who's doubting it. You'd swear I was claiming 3xBW deadlift for reps or something.

You are now claiming it? It appeared from your previous posts you were merely assuming you would hit it with ease.

In that case well done. You are genuinely very strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

My home gym is great because I don't have to put up with that anymore :cool:

You'd see guys wobbling and jerking to get a single rep of 120kg, then acting like they're experts on lifting. They'd come over and start giving advice because they're "stronger than you"

Dude, I'm benching 3x10 @ 70kg, I don't need tips on how to bounce the bar off my sternum to get a better lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

I'm getting into good shape these days. I gave up smoking a few months ago and discovered I'm really really good at running. As in I effortlessly pass most runners when doing a 10k. The type of men who spend so much time running they look like their face is about to collapse. So that's cool.

Also do some sea swimming. Cycled the Wicklow 100 this year, and found it handy enough apart from getting a dose of the Johnny Giles afterwards. Seems you should wear special underwear if attempting cycles of that length.

Cycled the Wicklow 100 this year, and found it handy enough apart from getting a dose of the Johnny Giles afterwards. Seems you should wear special underwear if attempting cycles of that length.

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

if I stay away from the booze and the late nights I can keep my physical condition under control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I'm fairly fit , I've good stamina and play football 3-4 nights a week. Was fitter when I played 11 a side though hopefully going back next season after a year out.

In saying that it could be better , I smoke and don't eat great but manage to stay in shape because I've a high metabolism and do a lot of cardio.

Going to see what I can do this year though kick the smokes , eat better and try but on a little bit of strength as well.

It's definatly a balance between being fit and being strong , Being built doesn't mean your fit neither does being slim. I've played 5 a side games with lads who claim to be 'fitness experts' ie they are big lads who lift weights. 10 minutes later their outside throwing up because of the pace of the game and lads are dancing past them , strength is no use in sport unless you have stamina and pace to go along with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

It'd be hard to tell my body and a machine apart tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I've good muscular legs, toned arms and a big barrel chest. My cardio could be better though, I've neglected it a bit in recent months cos I find it so boring :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I also really enjoy hillwalking and go whenever I can.

I've good muscular legs, toned arms and a big barrel chest.

What's your secret ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Maybe it's Maybelline.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Jimmyie

I can jog 75k a day, I always do too, I will be off now yet again this evening. hope i don't over heat..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

It's difficult to get motivated to start an exercise regime especially when you eat junk food as you get no real energy from that kind of food. Once you cut that out and start eating healthier foods and increase your exercise you'll get more energy. Start off slowly though. Good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I also really enjoy hillwalking and go whenever I can.

Lots of leg workouts, bench presses, shoulder presses and bicep & triceps work :) I've a little bit of a beergut however that I'm too lazy to work on :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I hate running, like if you put a ball in front of me i'll run all day or I can do Insanity type workouts at a pretty good pace but try to get me to run 5k and I just can't do it.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Back at the weights last week after about 3 years, had to push through the pain for the first few days but got there. I'm starting off slowly and will increase the workout as I get stronger.

My cardio isn't great but I can climb Croagh Patrick without stopping so I'm happy enough with that.

But the view! You always gotta stop to take in the view!!
    >.>.

Jaysus this heat is a killer to exercise in. Just went for a run there this evening, I was actually panting like a dog. Worst thing is it probably wasn't even 20c out there! :pac:

Jaysus this heat is a killer to exercise in. Just went for a run there this evening, I was actually panting like a dog. Worst thing is it probably wasn't even 20c out there! :pac:

Same. Seriously feckin roasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I was very muay thai fit then I met my wife. 70kg turned into 96kg after 8 years.
    She's a fussy eater doesn't like veg, loves cheese, and crap food in general. I work she looks after the home.
    I lost all motivation to be healthier cos every time I try she gets a large pizza, Chinese or some **** like that.
    But according to her its my own fault, cos I give in, and I say to her "your dead right!"
    It's hard to motivate yourself unless your young and single.

Still not finding it too easy :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Yeh I go for a run/uphill walk at around this time these evenings to avoid the sun (not this evening obviously - too lazy... I mean tired).
    It's not that it's really hot, but hot for running.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

But the view! You always gotta stop to take in the view!!
    >.>.

Same. Seriously feckin roasters.
    Magaggie wrote: »
    Yeh I go for a run/uphill walk at around this time these evenings to avoid the sun (not this evening obviously - too lazy... I mean tired).
    It's not that it's really hot, but hot for running.

Early Morning nice and cool. Now switch off all your tech and go to sleep and up at 6am.

That said, a bit of warm weather training is probably good for ya.

Early Morning nice and cool. Now switch off all your tech and go to sleep and up at 6am.

Five more minutes? Pleeeeease :p

That said, a bit of warm weather training is probably good for ya.

I love running in the am, that would be my choice time but it doesn't suit me often unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭NordieSteve

Just after a heavy squatting session there after a week off, feels like my first time in years. How the fup does your body reset so quickly :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Just after a heavy squatting session there after a week off, feels like my first time in years. How the fup does your body reset so quickly :(

I know them feels, if I stop for a couple of weeks it feels like i'm back to square one, have to drop down the weights and work my way up, very annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Lots of leg workouts, bench presses, shoulder presses and bicep & triceps work :) I've a little bit of a beergut however that I'm too lazy to work on :(

Beerguts are easy. Start with a can a day. Work up to a six pack three/four times a week. You can supplement with curry chips if you like, but it's not really necessary. You should see results in 6-8 weeks. Keep us updated. Maybe start a training log?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Went for 1am run after reading this thread yesterday. 2 days in a row, new record :p
    bye bye 350 cals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Not sure if i'd meet the criteria for "fit" ie i couldn't run a marathon as my endurance sucks but i can front squat 180kg and overhead press my body-weight for reps and do 20+ chinups at 105kg, i'd be faster and stronger than the average human but endurance stuff kills me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

FWIW, I can rep out 2.5BW deadlifts no bothers, but I'm nowhere near a BW OHP. Congrats I guess, you got mad genetics.

You should go to planet fitness

http://i.imgur.com/mkNmDUQ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Started the year at 17st 10lbs and at 5-8in i was massively overweight. Hadn't exercised in 30 years. Decided i had to do something or id never see 50 (i'm 44) so i started walking and watching what i ate. I'm now at 5 months and have lost 3 stone. I run 3 x 5k a week so go me. Long way to go though but yaa. Done 4 miles this morning in that heat phew.

Started the year at 17st 10lbs and at 5-8in i was massively overweight. Hadn't exercised in 30 years. Decided i had to do something or id never see 50 (i'm 44) so i started walking and watching what i ate. I'm now at 5 months and have lost 3 stone. I run 3 x 5k a week so go me. Long way to go though but yaa. Done 4 miles this morning in that heat phew.

Fair play to you.

I've only been in one gym where I felt like that. Others have been full of people willing to spot you or help out. I recently joined my local Ben Dunne gym and it's great, no one appears to be a dick. Staff are helpful, gym itself is surprisingly well equipped for the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

That's some progress, nice one!

• Advertisement
Advertisement