Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How physically fit are you?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

bluewolf wrote: »
    You should go to planet fitness

http://i.imgur.com/mkNmDUQ.jpg

Looks like the guy is doing exercises with the plastic bottle :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Started the year at 17st 10lbs and at 5-8in i was massively overweight. Hadn't exercised in 30 years. Decided i had to do something or id never see 50 (i'm 44) so i started walking and watching what i ate. I'm now at 5 months and have lost 3 stone. I run 3 x 5k a week so go me. Long way to go though but yaa. Done 4 miles this morning in that heat phew.

You don't have a long way to go. You're already there. Health and fitness isn't about targets. It's about lifestyle.

Well done you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

statistically speaking, most of you are either lying or completely deluded about your fitness level / weight / bodyfat...

"2 out of 3 adults on the island of Ireland are overweight"..
    http://www.safefood.eu/News/2012/2-in-3-adults-overweight.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

smemon wrote: »
    statistically speaking, most of you are either lying or completely deluded about your fitness level / weight / bodyfat...

This thread is not a random sample of the population, so no, what you're saying doesn't make sense.

I think you should go back and read the thread again buddy. There's quite a few people saying they need to shift some weight.

I am the 67%

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

It just so happens that the remaining third who are at a healthy weight and lead athletic, active lifestyles also spend a lot of their time posting on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

It just so happens that the remaining third who are at a healthy weight and lead athletic, active lifestyles also spend a lot of their time posting on the internet.

Since I started running more, I'm either going at 100%, or barely able to move off the couch after training. Fit people actually need a heck of a lot of rest, so it makes sense that we're taking over boards :D:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I'm really lucky, have a 24 hour gym that is self access around 5 minutes from where I live. If i go down and it's busy I just come back another time, I don't really mind working out in front of other people but i get more done on my own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭urabell

Arbitrary poppycock.

And love the poster who has obviously never done any of it saying they 'must be child's play'.

Bodyweight OHP alone is a feat requiring considerable training.

They were minimums and I suppose they are arbitrary but nobody could dispute them as evidence of physical fitness.

BW OHP does require considerable training but it isn't something which is out of touch with reality, and requiring considerable training shouldn't be something that puts you off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Not really fit at all. I can walk for quite a long time and even walk briskly for a decent pace, but anything outside of that like jogging, running, playing team sports which requires you to run, forget it. Im carrying an extra 2 and a half stone mostly on my torso and its 100% my fault, I have stopped going to the gym and eat a lot of rubbish, I just stopped caring for a while and I really should cop myself on soon but it seems such an all-or-nothing event, you either are 100% fit, toned and super healthy or else you are an obese tank, i need to take it in small stages.

I attempted a 3km hike up some steep(ish) hills last week and had to turn back after 2km, i just wasnt able for that last sharp km, was out of breath for ages afterwards...so yeah, not fit at all!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I attempted a 3km hike up some steep(ish) hills last week and had to turn back after 2km, i just wasnt able for that last sharp km, was out of breath for ages afterwards...so yeah, not fit at all!!

Now I'm no fitness freak, not by a long way, but that sounds pretty bad. On the bright side, you'd be shocked how quickly you can get back to a reasonably fitness level.

I'm not talking about running marathons, but you owe it to yourself to break out of this slump before it goes too far. Start small, make it your mission to do something simple like get out and go for a brisk walk in the evenings and build on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

It could just be a mental block. Most people can run A LOT further than they think they can, trust me. Been there myself!!! You just have break down those mental barriers and push yourself!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

^ It was a fairly steep km near the end, just the effort of raising one leg up then another took it right out of me, if the hike was flat it would have been no problem! Yeah I know i need to do something, a rut is hard to get out of at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

I ran over 5k just an hour ago. Went all out, but I'd usually pace it well and go for 6 or 7k at a slower pace.

Not sure the heat was a huge factor as mentally at least it doesn't affect me. All that said, the idea of a half marathon distance is daunting.

Probably not doing it regularly enough but my motivation bettering my current distance usually goes on the wane when I consider the thought of a 10k plus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

^ It was a fairly steep km near the end, just the effort of raising one leg up then another took it right out of me, if the hike was flat it would have been no problem! Yeah I know i need to do something, a rut is hard to get out of at times.

You should come hiking with me. ;)
    I had one of the guys running with me the last 2 hikes we were on. :cool:

You'll just have to build it up and pace yourself!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Going for a hike soon, thankfully it sounds less intense. 6k walk there, time for 5k run soon. Motivating thread is motivating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I can't run, I'll be out of breath almost instantly.

But I cycle a fair bit.

Cycled out 50km the other day.
    Been cycling up the mountains recently with OH too, noticed a large increase in fitness level from now and 3-4weeks ago. That mountain biking, that's a full body work out XD.
    __
    One thing I know. I can't keep 'myself' fit. As in, do things on my own. I give in too quickly, if I even bother to go out and do it in the first place.
    Classes are fantastic for that motivation/push. And if you can, do it with a friend/family member, someone else, you'll notice it's much easier to motivate yourself. (and generally it's more enjoyable).

Advertisement