Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is this insect?

• 15-06-2014 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭

So my mum noticed this very strange looking insect hovering around a plant in the garden. Was able to snap a few close up pictures which I have cropped to make it look clearer it bigger.

Looks like a humming bird but it clearly has two large antennae (seen in picture 2), which it uses to eat pollen/nectar judging by the first picture. As you can see the wings are a complete blur, they were beating extremely fast. Very odd colouring as well, I've never seen anything like it. Can anyone help identify it?

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,425 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looks like a hummingbird hawk moth Macroglossum stellatarum.

Rare enough visitor to Ireland as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Looks like a hummingbird hawk moth Macroglossum stellatarum.

Rare enough visitor to Ireland as far as I know.

That's it!!! /thread

Thanks a million Mickeroo really appreciate it

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,425 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No worries! :)

Advertisement