Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Cup Fever...

• 15-06-2014 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭

Ok my dogs have taken a distinct disliking to / fear of televised football.

Last night my nine month old bcx spent the entire match behind the chair cowering, tail between his legs - we try not to shout or roar (much) but if there's an exciting part the noise of the crowd is enough to send him running from one corner of the room to another.

He wasn't always as scared of it but recently we lost his touchstone (oldest dog) who he would snuggle into for comfort. He won't cuddle on the knee during a football match but ordinarily he is a loving little guy who loves been petted. I have tried to calm him to no avail - and getting away from the tv is hard because we have a small house and he's not to be altogether trusted left to his own devices in a room by himself - lets just say he's still puppyish and likes stealing socks and chewing things if you're not keeping an eye on him.

So any hints on calming techniques?
    Or should we just try and get him used to the sounds as there's nights of football ahead.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

Pretzill wrote: »

So any hints on calming techniques? .

Don't watch football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

falabo wrote: »
    Don't watch football

Thanks so much for that pearl of wisdom - how long did it take you to come up with that? Betcha it jumped right out at you didn't it? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Maybe try the sort of techniques that are recommended for other stressful situations. A Thundershirt and some DAP plugins could be of help. The Thundershirt has a money back guarantee if it doesn't work.
    I have the opposite situation with mine. Two of them ignore it, but my terrier boy is very interested and frequently charges at the tv...he does this with all ball games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

mosi wrote: »
    Maybe try the sort of techniques that are recommended for other stressful situations. A Thundershirt and some DAP plugins could be of help. The Thundershirt has a money back guarantee if it doesn't work.
    I have the opposite situation with mine. Two of them ignore it, but my terrier boy is very interested and frequently charges at the tv...he does this with all ball games!

Sorry mosi but that did make laugh!! I had a dog once who used to stand and bark at Eddie from Frasier whenever he came on screen I just had to stop watching or wait till he was asleep and have the volume low!! Sorry OP that's no help to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Yeah thanks guys - It is like another dogs reaction to thunder alright - I have realised if we are enthralled in the match he gets worse - so lower sound from us and the tv is helping a wee bit.

And it's almost impossible to watch any programme with dogs in it for the jumping at the tv action we get, though eddie from frazier has never got any interest - lol. My dogs are spoiled but they're beyond dictating our viewing habits! Though this great weather has them and me out more than in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

How about a Kong toy or something like that? Maybe try and find something for your dog to do while you're watching football?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Advertisement