Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for activities in Maynooth

Options
  • 15-06-2014 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello,

I came from France 2 weeks ago and I have to do an internship at NUIM until the end of august. These 2 weeks were very difficult because I really did nothing! I just went to some shops to buy food and visited Maynooth.
    So I'm looking for some activities, firstly to pass the time and then to meet people to speak English because I have difficulties in speaking English. I haven't spoken english for 2 weeks and it's a pity not to take advantage of being here ...

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭2011abc

Maynooth Castle is worth a quick look .The canal and college grounds are good for walks-also Carton House if you want to go a little further .You could get the bus or train into Dublin . Sorry couldn't help more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

What type of things are you into and what kind of age are you? There are different groups for different things - check with the library in Maynooth and see what type of groups meet up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ndrangh

Hello,

Thank you for replying.

I'm 24 years old, and I am studying Electronics ...
    Which library are you talking about? NUIM "Russell" Library ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Maynooth Library, the council one on the main street.

Thank you very much,

I' will have a look. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

https://www.facebook.com/CreativeArtsCentre

Also try this site, which shows meet ups in different categories in different locations. Set the location to as near to you as possible and have a browse.

The local library (not the college library) is also a great suggestion, as it is great source of information on local events. I see they have a Spanish/English conversation exchange on regularly. You could put a note up in the library looking for somebody interested in a French/English conversation exchange.

I hope you have a nice summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The Creative Arts Centre is long closed. Brian just uses the facebook page for it to help promote the Open Mic night in McMahons on Tuesdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

A few questions, you say you haven't spoken english in 2 weeks, how is that possible if your doing an internship in NUIM where I presume your interacting with Irish people on a daily basis. Also who do you live with? Surely you can speak english with them.

Re activities, maybe meetup.com might have something on it to interest you. To me it sounds like your a little lonely and just want some conversation.

Thank you for your suggestions

I went one time to the library quickly but I remember it was very small, it's strange. But I will have a look tomorrow afternoon. It seems very interesting.

Yes, of course, I said 2-3 words in English but nothing interesting. Actually I have an "office" at NUIM and I see nobody. I'm working on a project. Plus I live in a share house where there is only one person and I saw him one time ...

And I am going to make an effort to meet some people in pubs even if I'm a shy person because I'm going crazy. When you do nothing except work, eat and sleep, I think it's normal :)

again thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

I think you would be best to look in the college for people in a similar position to you. Maybe try contacting the Language Centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭paul71

Help us to help you poster, do you like sports, music, reading, country walking, golf, food, beer. Maynooth is a busy college with a few thousand students living in it.

It is a little less active during summer but there are football/Rugby/golf clubs, a swimming pool and gym in the Glenroyal hotel, stud farms to go see if you like horses, a regular train and bus service to the city centre.

Advertisement