Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hallmark holidays

• 15-06-2014 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Do you fall for Hallmark holidays 39 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    20%
    MenasglossyBowlardoalleystarPrincess Peachharo124ComputerKingCienciano 8 votes
    Richard Pyror
    79%
    _Kaiser_[Deleted User]AglomeradoZebra3ytpe2r5bxkn0c1rainbowtroutfoggy_ladPotential-MonkemookishboygreensausageHead_HunterGannicusSpannerMonkey7ofBrianZemuppetGremlinertiaMcChubbinKiss1037RothkoFizzleSticks 31 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I don't ignore mother's day (because it means something to her), we acknowledge it with a card and a small gift, usually a plant or flowers . Father's day doesn't apply in this house. Valentine's day and all the rest, I suppose it's nice to mark them with a small gesture and/or gift but I wouldn't be lining Hallmark's pockets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

You need to be brought in for cultural realignment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Richard Pyror
    Can't wait for Love Day again this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Ruu wrote: »
    Can't wait for Love Day again this year.

Wow, it seems like only yesterday I dismantled love land last year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Richard Pyror
    I have a simple philosophy.

Any day can be Fathers Day.

Any day can be Mothers Day.

Any day can be Valentines Day.

One should not need to be told when to express appreciation and one should express it regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I would mark them, yes - I think it's nice to show your appreciation on Mother's and Father's day, even just with a card or whatever. I would have always been anti-Valentine's Day, whether in a relationship or not but actually did mark it this year as we were trying to put a bit more effort into that side of things. However I wouldn't buy into them in terms of buying expensive presents etc. I think it's more about the thought and effort than spending money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Richard Pyror

I know it's a commercial thing, but that doesn't make it intrinsically evil. It's nice to be nice to the people who put you in the world, and for them to have a day to look forward to where they're at the centre of attention. If you don't want to do anything for it, then don't, as far as I know, it's not compulsory.

One single day a year that puts Dads at the centre isn't a big deal. It doesn't have to be expensive or a grand gesture. When I was a kid I used to bring my Dad his breakfast in bed, and I'd valet and wash his car. Never spent any money, but did something nice for him anyway.

Same goes for Mothers Day, a little special effort to show a bit of extra appreciation doesn't make you a sheep or a materialist. And it means the world to them to have their roles acknowledged. I also spoil my gran on Mothers Day, and she loves every thing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

when is steak and blow job day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭roshje

My wife says its Fathers Day every day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

Pre-marriage, every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

March 14th supposedly (a month after V-day)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

They're not saying you "must" do anything whatsoever.

It's a corporate thing for sure, but no harm in a collective celebration of those dads and mams who are so awesome.

Richard Pyror

You know it's not compulsory to celebrate Fathers Day, right? No one has a gun held to their head so there's no point in acting like you're a hero for dodging the bullet.

It's not been enacted into law, you're safe for now.

Richard Pyror

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Richard Pyror
    Magaggie wrote: »
    They're not saying you "must" do anything whatsoever.

It's a corporate thing for sure, but no harm in a collective celebration of those dads and mams who are so awesome.

My Mam is so awesome she hates that sh1t. My Dad is happy out if I call over and make him dinner (well, mostly cake) the odd time.

It's hard to figure out who would like to do the Valentine's Day thing or not. I was caught off guard with a super-cynical type boyfriend who got me a card one year. It was a jokey, sarcastic card, but his face at my empty handed cardlessness was even funnier.

I'd always prefer individual celebrations of awesome fathers, mothers and boy/girlfriends, and nice little gestures to cheer them up if they're having a hard time, to the once-a-year thing. But it's nice that it's a happy day in some families who want to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I don't really care much for valentines day but fathers and mothers day is cute when the kids are (and when I was) young otherwise not that bothered.

I'm not being forced at gunpoint by The Evil Corporations to do anything I don't agree with so it's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Mine chose to mark the occasion by buying me a razor. From Aldi. With my money. Which I was going to buy anyway. E for effort, imo.

• Advertisement

No harm but leave me out of it..

What part of elective celebration do you fail to grasp?

Richard Pyror

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

But it's not being forced on anyone! Forcibly suggested maybe, but that doesn't mean you have to join in the fun - I look at it like this: at the moment, there are ads and tv coverage and boards posts and conversations everywhere about the world cup, which i have no interest in... but nobody's forcing me to watch it :)

Richard Pyror

Who's forcing it? I had an embarrassing (but secretly hilarious) unreciprocated Valentine's card once. I don't do any of the days. If they were important to my mother, father or imaginary boyfriend, I'm sure I could meet them in the middle with a smile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

No harm but leave me out of it.

It is the typical sheeple attitude to their corporate gods.

I'd have said it was more sheeple to object to this stuff, trying to be different like everyone else.

Do you have a beard?

It is not elective when others force it on you.

I feel your pain.

Had to ground my kids for the week for reducing the complexity of our shared relationship to their hideously anodyne manufactured "feelings" this morning.

Richard Pyror
    anncoates wrote: »
    I feel your pain.

Had to ground my kids for the week for reducing the complexity of our shared relationship to their hideously anodyne manufactured "feelings" this morning.

In fairness, those handmade cards (how fiendishly genuine!) and nice words and kisses were just a bid for newer, dearer toys and days off school. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Fair play to those anti corporate types who go on about sheeple, and the way they never ever buy any product from a large corporation.

It's lovely for there to be a mass appreciation of mothers and fathers - it's up to individuals how much they want to spend, if they want to spend at all. But the symbolism is nice, and it would be extremely churlish not to treat your parents on that day and just leave them out of it. It's about them, not their child(ren).

Advertisement