Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripped off?

Options
  • 15-06-2014 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

When I go out for a night in Dublin, a visit to Supermac's is usually the norm before heading home on the nightlink.

However, the last 3 visits, if not 4, have resulted in arriving on the bus, opening up my bag and discovering that something has not been given in the order. The last time I was there, we ate in, and I went down and complained (they had attempted to charge twice for the food - once when order was taken, and second time when we got our food). I said they were taking advantage of drunk people and it was unfair. A worker came upstairs after me and wasn't happy - she said she had served him and that nobody attempted to charge him twice and that if we wanted to see CCTV footage, we could........They don't issue receipts, although I assume if you ask they will. Vowed never to go there again. That didn't last long :o

Next night we were there, I was with a different friend. Ordered, paid, came out, discovered we were missing chips (had ordered a tenders meal and curry chips and only had tenders, drink and curry chips). Too late to go back in so left it.

Last night, went in again, ordered food, BF checked it quickly at counter, thought everything was there so we headed off. Discovered again that we were missing chips. Going back in would be fruitless as undoubtedly they'd assume we left the chips on the bus.

I'm really disappointed with this customer service. I know majority of people that go in there around that time have been drinking, myself included, but it's ridiculous to take advantage of people like that. I can only assume that it happens a LOT as I don't think I'm that unlucky to be at the end of a mistake that often. They must be making a mint.

This is just to serve as an eye-opener/warning for people to be alert when ordering food here after a night out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

When I go out for a night in Dublin, a visit to Supermac's is usually the norm before heading home on the nightlink.

However, the last 3 visits, if not 4, have resulted in arriving on the bus, opening up my bag and discovering that something has not been given in the order. The last time I was there, we ate in, and I went down and complained (they had attempted to charge twice for the food - once when order was taken, and second time when we got our food). I said they were taking advantage of drunk people and it was unfair. A worker came upstairs after me and wasn't happy - she said she had served him and that nobody attempted to charge him twice and that if we wanted to see CCTV footage, we could........They don't issue receipts, although I assume if you ask they will. Vowed never to go there again. That didn't last long :o

Next night we were there, I was with a different friend. Ordered, paid, came out, discovered we were missing chips (had ordered a tenders meal and curry chips and only had tenders, drink and curry chips). Too late to go back in so left it.

Last night, went in again, ordered food, BF checked it quickly at counter, thought everything was there so we headed off. Discovered again that we were missing chips. Going back in would be fruitless as undoubtedly they'd assume we left the chips on the bus.

I'm really disappointed with this customer service. I know majority of people that go in there around that time have been drinking, myself included, but it's ridiculous to take advantage of people like that. I can only assume that it happens a LOT as I don't think I'm that unlucky to be at the end of a mistake that often. They must be making a mint.

This is just to serve as an eye-opener/warning for people to be alert when ordering food here after a night out.

Can I suggest you check the order before leaving the counter? And ask for a receipt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

PS, you can't beat a Mighty Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Well BF DID check order last night & thought he had everything but didn't!
    Will be asking for a receipt if I go again but to be honest, we are both very put-off the place now.
    Also when you've had a few drinks, or rather when I've had a few drinks, I don't usually remember to check my order/ask for a receipt. It's usually get the food and go! I guess that's my own fault though and I know if I was sober on all of those visits, I'd be far more astute and wary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

One wonders why a visit there is the norm if you feel "ripped off" so often. Go somewhere else, as is your prerogative.

Is there any possibility that confusion arises as the incidents are after drink was taken? You said yourself that they were taking advantage of drunk people. :)

One wonders why a visit there is the norm if you feel "ripped off" so often. Go somewhere else, as is your prerogative.

Is there any possibility that confusion arises as the incidents are after drink was taken? You said yourself that they were taking advantage of drunk people. :)

No confusion. Maybe 'drunk people' was an incorrect term on my behalf. Perhaps I should have said 'people who had been drinking'.
    It's location is ideal for getting the bus.
    Don't like KFC.

Regardless, I don't think it's good customer service to essentially rob people because they don't give them the food that they have paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Considering Supermacs are franchises this is useless without knowing which one(s) you've been going to. You should also report it to the master franchise/parent company as they would have standards and policies to follow.

MYOB wrote: »
    Considering Supermacs are franchises this is useless without knowing which one(s) you've been going to. You should also report it to the master franchise/parent company as they would have standards and policies to follow.

Thank you.
    I may just do that.
    I know it's partly my fault as I should check my order at the time, but I shouldn't have to. I know mistakes can happen, but unless I am extremely unlucky, I don't think it's a mistake. Even though I had been drinking, I am still able to function and I know that I didn't get what I paid for. My fault is that I didn't check until I had left the building. (I say check, it's not really checking, it's 'oh, I didn't get 2 x chips!)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fat to ripped

Unfortunately hard to prove.

Unfortunately hard to prove.

I know that, and no doubt alcohol influence would be their excuse - I would be the one in the wrong etc.

A simple letter of complaint though might just alert them that we're on to them?!

I'm not expecting anything in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Are you sure you prop speakily after a few drinks? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Op, if you were in the O'Connell Street branch, it's company owned, so no harm firing off an email to head office.

If it's that branch, having worked in the kip for two years, i can tell you it's not deliberately ripping you off.

Staff on the tills do not benefit in any way from leaving you short on food. Presumably you went in somewhere between 1-3am?most of the staff will have been working from 4pm or earlier, and do all be exhausted that late. And yup, they can and do make mistakes, because they're always short staffed, rushed off their feet and dealing with plenty of drunk and high scumbags. So they can make mistakes. I did, although not often.

Ask for a receipt from now on, and check it. They do give receipts if you ask.

Same story with Westmoreland street, also company owned.

So fire off an email to the head office. They're usually pretty accommodating. The staff will get a bollocking and you'll probably be sent vouchers.

Thanks greenscreen.
    As I said, I understand mistakes can happen, and if it was just the once, even twice, I probably wouldn't think twice. It's just that it's happened quite frequently and I wonder how I can be that unlucky, or if they're doing it to many others.

It's the Westmoreland street branch alright. I will be asking for receipts in future. No nights out planned for the foreseeable future so I won't be going in there anyway.

You are right, it was 1.30am when I went in last night and I know the staff probably have to put up with a lot of crap. It's just not nice to have so many issues when buying something though. I hold my hands up and know that I should check thoroughly that I got correct items, but how many of us ever do that?

Thanks for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Thanks greenscreen.
    As I said, I understand mistakes can happen, and if it was just the once, even twice, I probably wouldn't think twice. It's just that it's happened quite frequently and I wonder how I can be that unlucky, or if they're doing it to many others.

It's the Westmoreland street branch alright. I will be asking for receipts in future. No nights out planned for the foreseeable future so I won't be going in there anyway.

You are right, it was 1.30am when I went in last night and I know the staff probably have to put up with a lot of crap. It's just not nice to have so many issues when buying something though. I hold my hands up and know that I should check thoroughly that I got correct items, but how many of us ever do that?

Thanks for the replies.

Oh god yeah, I'm not blaming you at all. Just giving an insight into why it may have happened. I did it a couple of times based purely on exhaustion.

The Westmoreland street branch is particularly short staffed.

Definitely send in an email because it's their fault that it happened, not yours at all.

The staff don't benefit at all. They're given designated times to eat, and are docked x amount per hour for food, whether they eat it or not. Cameras everywhere so they wouldn't risk eating on the job because it's considered gross misconduct :pac:

Thank you. Beggars belief so if they're not going to gain. Perhaps it is just down to exhaustion. Good to keep this in mind for next time I go there, if I do. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

Thank you Fizzlesticks.
    The reason I didn't complain the first time was because I believe mistakes can happen, and I thought it was simply that.

The second time, I went back down and complained that they had tried to charge my boyfriend twice for the food. Another lady had followed me upstairs and insisted that wasn't true and I could look at the CCTV if I wanted. I didn't want a huge fuss so I said nothing.

The 3rd time, I was already on the bus and didn't think to complain, but this was with a different friend.

The 4th time, was last night. I could probably pinpoint the dates and a rough time as I don't go out in Dublin very often. I will research this and include this in my letter. Thanks.

I'm not looking for anything in return, just decent customer service and the trust that I can order and pay for items and get them!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,183 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Thank you. Beggars belief so if they're not going to gain. Perhaps it is just down to exhaustion. Good to keep this in mind for next time I go there, if I do. Thanks.

How did you think they were gonna gain? Were they waiting for each night out you decide to have and then go "oh great i'll have her chips now at the end of the night"!!! A big win for them alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

OP you do know that consuming food and drink on a Dublin bus is against their customer bye-laws? See number 43
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/about-us/Dublin-Bus-Bye-Laws/Passenger-Behaviour/

athtrasna wrote: »
    OP you do know that consuming food and drink on a Dublin bus is against their customer bye-laws? See number 43
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/about-us/Dublin-Bus-Bye-Laws/Passenger-Behaviour/

I didn't,
    and bus driver hasn't ever said anything.

Then again they've allowed people to smoke upstairs also,so I think I'll be ok with my chips. I've also sat behind someone who vomited everywhere.

Plus I bring my rubbish with me as bin at where I get off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

A bag of chips costs Supermacs about 10 cent to produce.. Before sending off your complaint to head office, remember that it's one of the worst jobs in the country. It's up to the customer to double check their order. Simple human error.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A bag of chips costs Supermacs about 10 cent to produce.. Before sending off your complaint to head office, remember that it's one of the worst jobs in the country. It's up to the customer to double check their order. Simple human error.

In one case it seems the issue came from having double-checked it and getting an unacceptable response.

As it happens, I haven't used the Maynooth branch since having to have a full-blown argument about whether the person who served me, who happened to be the one in the managers uniform, had given me one of the two drinks I'd ordered. Which also costs them virtually nothing as it happens, being postmix. Forgot to report it to the HQ, bit late now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

I understand that, but given the setting (early hours of the morning) I would be surprised if the staff didn't question your complaint. They are dealing with constant sh*t from people. I admire the hell out of anybody who's willing to do it. As green_screen said it's a horrible place to work.

How many people double check their orders each and every time? Fair play to anyone who does. Especially at that time of night. I think any consumer who pays for a particular thing, should expect to receive that thing, regardless of time of day. I do admit however that I should have already checked considering my previous experiences there.

I understand that, but given the setting (early hours of the morning) I would be surprised if the staff didn't question your complaint. They are dealing with constant sh*t from people. I admire the hell out of anybody who's willing to do it. As green_screen said it's a horrible place to work.

That doesn't excuse it. I worked in a busy supermarket around Christmas. Shop due to close at 5pm for Xmas Eve. Customers coming in at 4.55 looking for X Y and Z. Just because I've been run off my feet all day, looking to go home for Christmas and shop is DUE to shut ANYWAY, doesn't mean I can be rude or gruff to customers. Working in that field means you have to have decent customer service skills and even if you're met by the rudest most aggressive customer ever, you have to smile sweetly and help them with whatever!

Horrible place to work or not, they're being paid a wage to serve food to paying customers. I understand that they probably ARE dealing with a lot of sh!t from people, again, especially at that time of night. However, I was not one of these people dealing out said sh!t, I wasn't confrontational or aggressive making the complaint but I certainly didn't feel that my discontent was acknowledged. Anyway, doesn't sound THAT horrible
    http://ie.indeed.com/cmp/Supermacs/reviews

Regarding how I came to suspect the staff would be gaining, well, if I order 2 x chips, goujons and a drink, but they only put chips goujons and a drink into the till yet charge me for the initial order, then who is to stop them pocketing that extra €2.30 or whatever it is? I'm being pedantic now, because there seems to be utmost surprise of 'how would the staff possibly gain' but the facts are, I paid on 3 different occasions for food and didn't receive all of my items.

If it's happened to me that often, I assume by the laws of probability it's happened to plenty others. Do it to 10 people on a night and you've got yourself an extra €20 in your pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Well BF DID check order last night & thought he had everything but didn't!
    Will be asking for a receipt if I go again but to be honest, we are both very put-off the place now.
    Also when you've had a few drinks, or rather when I've had a few drinks, I don't usually remember to check my order/ask for a receipt. It's usually get the food and go! I guess that's my own fault though and I know if I was sober on all of those visits, I'd be far more astute and wary.

Well that's BFs fault then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,183 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

How many people double check their orders each and every time? Fair play to anyone who does. Especially at that time of night. I think any consumer who pays for a particular thing, should expect to receive that thing, regardless of time of day. I do admit however that I should have already checked considering my previous experiences there.

That doesn't excuse it. I worked in a busy supermarket around Christmas. Shop due to close at 5pm for Xmas Eve. Customers coming in at 4.55 looking for X Y and Z. Just because I've been run off my feet all day, looking to go home for Christmas and shop is DUE to shut ANYWAY, doesn't mean I can be rude or gruff to customers. Working in that field means you have to have decent customer service skills and even if you're met by the rudest most aggressive customer ever, you have to smile sweetly and help them with whatever!

Horrible place to work or not, they're being paid a wage to serve food to paying customers. I understand that they probably ARE dealing with a lot of sh!t from people, again, especially at that time of night. However, I was not one of these people dealing out said sh!t, I wasn't confrontational or aggressive making the complaint but I certainly didn't feel that my discontent was acknowledged. Anyway, doesn't sound THAT horrible
    http://ie.indeed.com/cmp/Supermacs/reviews

Regarding how I came to suspect the staff would be gaining, well, if I order 2 x chips, goujons and a drink, but they only put chips goujons and a drink into the till yet charge me for the initial order, then who is to stop them pocketing that extra €2.30 or whatever it is? I'm being pedantic now, because there seems to be utmost surprise of 'how would the staff possibly gain' but the facts are, I paid on 3 different occasions for food and didn't receive all of my items.

If it's happened to me that often, I assume by the laws of probability it's happened to plenty others. Do it to 10 people on a night and you've got yourself an extra €20 in your pocket.

Seeing as you've named the branch you really shouldn't be making unsubstantiated claims that staff are stealing from the till/customer, bad bad form.

Seeing as you've named the branch you really shouldn't be making unsubstantiated claims that staff are stealing from the till/customer, bad bad form.

Pardon?
    Where have I made unsubstantiated claims?
    The above was a POSSIBILITY and an answer to a question I was asked by another poster.
    There is nothing unsubstantiated - I paid for items that I didn't receive. Simple as.

Chicken goujon meal is about €7 something for a large, and a curry chips is about €3.30. So it WOULD be about €9 something, if not a bit more. It's always just a plain chips that has been missing in the scenarios above.
    mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Well that's BFs fault then.

Probably, but it doesn't excuse paying for something on different occasions and having something missing in the order. It's misleading and dishonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

In order to make some complaints, you'll need to get receipts detailing what you ordered and paid for, then proof of what you received. Unfortunately, without these pieces it's just an unsubstantiated claim.

I wonder how many "late-night" customer believe they have ordered one thing, but in reality have not? Not saying this in your case, but the added factor of alcohol surely doesn't help matters.

• Advertisement

Advertisement